X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FedEx227
    Delivers
    • Mar 2009

Tell me more about the top star being in the 3rd-4th most prominent match on a big PPV.
    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

Bryan was put over big by Cena. They truly put him in a no win position with this god awful feud he has had with Orton where he has since won the title THREE TIMES only for it to be taken away. And now here comes the descent down the card. How do you expect anyone to pay for PPVs when the results are going to be negated on the RAW after?

No wonder you've had numerous PPVs with underwhelming buys.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

You guys are something else.

The guy main evented 4 consecutive PPV's.

He's probably going to wrestle Shawn Michaels, then Triple H likely after that at some point, which are much higher profile spots than wrestling Randy Orton in the "main event". He'll win both matches, too. Or at minimum win in the end.

Turn your brains on, please.

But I know, this in 1991 All Japan, so unless he wins the title and holds it for three years, he's totally not being pushed.

THIS IS WWE THE TITLE DOES NOT MATTER. When will you grasp this?

Also, Cena is the top guy, and deservedly so.

Comment

• FedEx227
          Delivers
          • Mar 2009

I'm still not confident he's going to actually face Michaels. I see it more as a way to get out of the match without Bryan losing clean. I could be wrong, but I just don't see HBK stepping back into the ring.

If he does and Bryan goes over, then goes over HHH... I'll shutup. The fact that he's not going to directly into a match with HBK or anyone involved with HHH has me thinking I'm right. Why would he just go "Oh well..." and start fighting with the Wyatts? Doesn't click if there's an HBK carrot on the horizon.
          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD

He's probably going to wrestle Shawn Michaels, then Triple H likely after that at some point, which are much higher profile spots than wrestling Randy Orton in the "main event". He'll win both matches, too. Or at minimum win in the end.

But I know, this in 1991 All Japan, so unless he wins the title and holds it for three years, he's totally not being pushed.

That have underwhelmed.

I'm of the belief that, the past two years has done a great deal for the WWE title. It was being used in a position to matter. It was always on the legit top guy...Punk, Rock, Cena...should have given it to Bryan and ran with it...that would have made him a bigger star. Having the title vacated and then flopped around on Orton and off of Orton again is just silly and THAT is how the title goes back to "NOT MATTERING".

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
              I'm still not confident he's going to actually face Michaels. I see it more as a way to get out of the match without Bryan losing clean. I could be wrong, but I just don't see HBK stepping back into the ring.

If he does and Bryan goes over, then goes over HHH... I'll shutup. The fact that he's not going to directly into a match with HBK or anyone involved with HHH has me thinking I'm right. Why would he just go "Oh well..." and start fighting with the Wyatts? Doesn't click if there's an HBK carrot on the horizon.
              Whether he wrestles Michaels or not, he got the visual tap in the ring on RAW. The fans all know he was screwed again and that he's the better man, that's why the title does not matter. Randy Orton is the "champion", but he doesn't mean shit. He isn't even the lead heel, ffs. The title is a plot device right now to put over the McMahon power trip. Nothing more. Just like it was a plot device to put over CM Punk's heel claim of being "best in the world". Nothing more.

It's as if you guys haven't followed this company since the Attitude Era. You are viewing what a push is in the context of pro wrestling. This company does not operate in that context. Orton is champion because they are pushing this McMahon thing. That doesnt work with Bryan as champion. They gave the red headed step child belt to Cena, what does that tell you? If they gave it to Bryan, you'd complain about that too.

I feel like Brad Pitt at this point talking to Philip Seymour Hoffman. The title does. not. matter. This isn't 1985 JCP.

If you can't see how Bryan isn't pushed as a bigger star since SummerSlam, we have to agree to disagree at this point. He was a mid card comedy geek. He was hidden on the fucking stage when Cena chose him for the match. Now he's a protected guy who never loses clean, who tapped Shawn Michaels, who pinned John fucking Cena in the middle. He gets a bigger reaction that anybody on the roster, save (maybe) Cena.

He needs that run, though. I forgot this was 1988.

Comment

• FedEx227
                Delivers
                • Mar 2009

We just disagree then because I think he's less over with the crowd than he was going into and during SummerSlam.

And shit regardless of what we think about his drawing power, push, etc. I'm just not that fucking interested and I was for awhile. My friends were interested, the bars I went to were packed. Sunday, bar was half full, 2 of my friends passed and we left to shrugs and probably not going to watch Survivor Series.

So, yeah, maybe he is a bigger star, but I'm personally not interested in anything he does going forward because I've probably seen MY personal Daniel Bryan peak with the SummerSlam win. If HBK/Bryan happens, call me, until then I'm good.
                VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

I'd also like to add that this is why I long stopped giving a shit what thy do, and when I want to sink my teeth into pro wrestling, I do it elsewhere. This company will always let you (you = fans who keep getting fooled into thinking this is pro wrestling) down because you want it to be something that it isn't.

WWE will give you flashes of cool stuff, but that's it. Flashes. They are that uncle who is the funniest guy in the room, but he has a gambling problem and drinks too much so you don't ever want to get closer than arms length to him.

Comment

• FedEx227
                    Delivers
                    • Mar 2009

Well, yeah, and that's why I just added to my post. Regardless of what we think about his star power now versus SummerSlam, the product is really awful for a "smart" fan right now.

Big Show, HHH, Orton and Cena are running the show in 2013.
                    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                      No longer a noob
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD

I understand that the writers don't know what to do with him after such a short chase, so what the hell let's have him chase some more! But from a results standpoint, I don't see how him main eventing PPVs that reached a point of deminishing returns almost immediately makes him a bigger star. It comes off as main event fodder, a lot of things going on but nothing really happening. It takes away from him, being that the fans get amped up for this guy and now he's associated with these finishes that take the wind out of the sails. He's not as big a star now as when he beat the golden boy clean at the 2nd biggest show of the year. Maybe he will be after the Michaels payoff, but they could have arrived at that point without all the BS and bypassed 3 months of contrived garbage.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Maybe the expectations were just too high. I'm not sure what you guys were expecting. Did you think Bryan was the next mega star? Personally I don't think he can ever be that with this cartoon gimmick.

He's a top guy now, a made guy. Protected in the booking. Super over. Maybe that's the ceiling here. Nobody pops PPV anymore except for Rock & Lesnar. PPV has been dropping for 5 years with Cena on top, tell me he isn't a big star. A couple of flat PPV buyrates against a total non entity are not good, but it's not bad either. PPV business did not bottom out without Cena. It basically held at the meh levels it's always been at.

I'm not arguing he's Cena or Austin or Rock when I say he's a bigger star now, maybe that's the disconnect here.

Comment

• FedEx227
                          Delivers
                          • Mar 2009

I know you aren't watching the shows a bunch, but you're throwing around "protected in booking" when a majority of the promos about him are spent telling everyone how small, ugly and not important he is.

I don't disagree with any of your other points but I think that part needs to be addressed.
                          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

He's protected in match booking to an extent...but sooner or later, the face needs to give the heel their comeuppance and Bryan has not...and now he's moving on from the program? That's a bad look.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                              I know you aren't watching the shows a bunch, but you're throwing around "protected in booking" when a majority of the promos about him are spent telling everyone how small, ugly and not important he is.

I don't disagree with any of your other points but I think that part needs to be addressed.
                              I can't, and won't defend that.

That's Vince being Vince. Alpha male macho counter productive bullshit.

Comment

• FedEx227
                                Delivers
                                • Mar 2009

But right there, you're admitting it's counter productive which is our argument. He's being protected on PPV by not losing but he's not really getting ahead. On TV he's taking finishers, being told he's ugly and short, etc.

Whatever, I'm done with it. WWE is WWE. Vince is Vince. Hunter is Hunter. So it goes. We got our yearly taste and it's time to move on.
                                VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

Working...