• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD;2341448[B
    ]TNA went to complete shit with Russo/Bischoff/Hogan. [/B]

In between Russo eras, it was fine. Never great, but fine.
    While I'd never disagree with that...it also had its best period critically.

TNA has always been a company of "...well...its alright" at its very best and terrible WOAT on its other end.

Comment

• FedEx227
      Delivers
      • Mar 2009

The Samoa Joe/Kurt Angle build-up will forever be their high point. Casual fans were into it, hardcores were into it, I remember seeing commercials on TV, my friends were asking me about it. Legitimately their highest point.
      VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
        The Samoa Joe/Kurt Angle build-up will forever be their high point. Casual fans were into it, hardcores were into it, I remember seeing commercials on TV, my friends were asking me about it. Legitimately their highest point.
        And that was like 7 years ago.

And during that same era...you had the Voodoo Kin Mafia, The Naturals with Shane Douglas as their manager, Kevin Nash in the X-Division, Abyss was champ, Chris Harris was a featured performer in AMW, The Paparazzi Championship Series, Sting in numerous hardcore matches, BASEBRAWL, Bob Backlund.

There was still plenty of crap in there.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
          No longer a noob
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          And that was like 7 years ago.

And during that same era...you had the Voodoo Kin Mafia, The Naturals with Shane Douglas as their manager, Kevin Nash in the X-Division, Abyss was champ, Chris Harris was a featured performer in AMW, The Paparazzi Championship Series, Sting in numerous hardcore matches, BASEBRAWL, Bob Backlund.

There was still plenty of crap in there.
          The PCS was gold. You've been hittin that yayo down in Florida? AMW was 1,000 times less offensive than AJ Styles in a turkey outfit. You had the first run of Aries in TNA, the X division was still alive, LAX was on fire, Joe/AJ/Daniels were still protected, Sting was limited but not god-awful in the ring yet. It was easily the best time in TNA. Yeah, it was TNA, so it still had plenty of crap. 90% of any point in North American wrestling does. But it's the inarguable golden era of TNA, if ever there was a more depressing idea...

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
            The PCS was gold. You've been hittin that yayo down in Florida? AMW was 1,000 times less offensive than AJ Styles in a turkey outfit. You had the first run of Aries in TNA, the X division was still alive, LAX was on fire, Joe/AJ/Daniels were still protected, Sting was limited but not god-awful in the ring yet. It was easily the best time in TNA. Yeah, it was TNA, so it still had plenty of crap. 90% of any point in North American wrestling does. But it's the inarguable golden era of TNA, if ever there was a more depressing idea...
            Kevin Nash trying to get X-Division guys over was painful.

Requesting this era is like saying you'd rather watch a Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer flick over an Uwe Boll film.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
              No longer a noob
              • Apr 2011

Kevin Nash trying to get X-Division guys over was painful.

Requesting this era is like saying you'd rather watch a Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer flick over an Uwe Boll film.
              Those years were the Buffalo Peerless Price years vs. the last few years which have been the Atlanta Peerless Price years. Yeah, there was nothing special overall, but one era was quite a bit better than the other.

Shelley and Nash's interactions were probably the most entertaining segments TNA ever had. Again, not saying a ton considering, but you're insulting the wrong period.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

I'd take Bobby Roode as champ...transition to Austin Aries as champ period in TNA over it.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Just thought I send you a quick note regarding Davey Richards and his future, as I've seen a few reports elsewhere claiming that he'd announced tonight in a post-match speech in the U.K. that he was going to the WWE. I was present at the Preston City Wrestling's 'Fright Night 2' show tonight, which saw Richards in action. Richards has been in the U.K. for a full month, wrestling on tons of shows across the U.K. and hosting various wrestling seminars. Tomorrow is his last show in the country on his current tour. After his match tonight (a defeat to U.K. wrestler Dave Mastiff) he cut a short promo, thanking all the U.K. fans for their support and putting over their passion. He said that whenever has felt like quitting the business, he comes to the U.K. and rediscovers his passion for wrestling. He even went as far to say that the U.K. fans 'saved his life'. He then said that there's been a lot of speculation about where he and Eddie (Edwards, although he never said the surname) will be going next and to which promotion. He said for legal reasons he can't talk about it, but that if this was his last tour of the U.K., he said he'd gone out on a high and again, thanked everyone for their support. He again mentioned that wherever he and Eddie go, that there will be fireworks.

He never once said 'WWE', or any promotions name, although he clearly implied it, given the speculation he referenced. The fact that he never ruled out anything publicly was interesting (although he'd probably be a fool to do so), as was him bringing up Eddie Edwards name twice. As a side note, I've been lucky enough to see him wrestle five times this past month, against different opponents on various U.K. shows, and each time out he's been terrific.

Comment

• Leftwich
                    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

No Bullshit, The American Wolves should be brought into the WWE together. I fucking love Davey Richards.

Originally posted by Tailback U
                    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                      War Hero
                      • May 2012

From J.R.'s blog

Based on the WWE conference call this morning, executives were apparently disappointed with the Summer Slam PPV buys and the term 'attraction' was used as the reason. Couldn't agree more. PPV's are all attraction driven and they've always been. However, the more that is given away on free TV and the more free TV that is provided in general the harder it is for attractions to be considered worth spending extra, big bucks on and adding to one's cable or satellite bill.

I'm a believer that TV ratings can be achieved without giving away multiple, PPV attractions but only if long term, creative planning is firmly in place. Changing things on the fly and making 11th hour decisions regarding direction, etc will never be a successful formula.

Stars sell tickets, it's always been that way, and until company's figure out how to commit to making new stars the business is going to on its current course.

Top talents back in the day had an open door to the bookers who made the decisions regarding the matches and the creative utilized in all bouts because the goal was to sell tickets as that was the way that revenue was generated, by and large. The talents had an agenda, to draw money, in which everyone involved benefited. When the business started becoming more diverse it was thought that a 'writing team' had to be created, then expanded and to eventually to experiment with more 'entertainment' ideas rather than 'competition' ideas which seems, in hind sight, to have been a fundamental mistake.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

LOL TNA

From another board:

As some of you know, I have an eBay store and it's doing pretty well for me. I saw an ad during Impact tonight talking about some Black November sale, so I thought I'd check out TNA's site ahead of time to see if anything was on sale yet and cheap enough that I can make some money in my store. Well, I ended up seeing an AJ Styles t-shirt that said it was $0.00. So I added as many of them as I could to my cart and to see if it was worth getting them with the shipping. Well, no matter how many I added, I ended up with a flat $5.95 shipping fee. I ended up ordering 35 of them, which is the max it would let me do, so it ended up costing me a whopping 17 CENTS per shirt. I'm planning on selling them at a price that nets me $10 each. I know I'll be stuck with them for a long time, but I'll be making a profit after selling only one. I'm a little skeptical that I'll actually receive them, but I'll update this thread if I do or if they cancel the order.

They also have red with yellow lettering "Hulkamania" shirts for $4.99 and I'll probably end up ordering a bunch of them too because I'll be able to sell them for $20 each.

There are a ton of under $5 shirts, too, of guys currently on the roster.

I figure they're actually paying me to take them because it's going to cost them a lot more than $5.95 to ship them to me.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                          Beautiful Like Moses
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                          LOL TNA

From another board:

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                            No longer a noob
                            • Apr 2011

I'd take Bobby Roode as champ...transition to Austin Aries as champ period in TNA over it.

That's such a shallow period, though Kanye. The storylines were tidier, and the main event was done right. But no matter how early they blew their load on Angle/Joe, the matches were top notch. The tag division was better. The X division was better. Christian was even still around. In the Roode/Aries era, the X division title only meant something when Aries had it, the tag divison sucked, the Knockouts sucked, they had a great idea in the Gut Check and just made the thing a total shitshow.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

It'll be lost in history because these may prove to be the dying days, but on this run since he came back during the annual X-Division tryout period in 2011 (?), Austin Aries has gotten over stronger than his push at every turn, to the point they changed up long term plans and put the title on him.

And I agree with Larry in the respect that the Aries rise from X champ to title win was one of the best stories the company ever did, along with Angle/Joe and a few others.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

Meltzer flat out said on tonights audio that all of the rumored buyers for TNA are all wrong. He specifically mentioned WWE, Bischoff, & Viacom. He didn't mention Jarrett, but my own speculation is that he would be part of that group since he is being rumored everywhere.

My wacky darkhorse dream scenario? Bushido Road.

Comment

Working...