X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Friday is the last day of the exclusive negotiating window for NBCU with WWE.

Comment

• SuperKevin
      War Hero
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by IamMedellin
      What the hell did I just watch?

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
        Seems that Wyatt is going to get the "live theme music" treatment at WM this year. I can already see creative putting him against Undertaker at WM31.

The gimmick is entertaining, but in no way does it deserve top of the card treatment. I just don't get it.
        Somebody important enough to matter is absolutely in love with the gimmick and they'll be pushed at the top until that person falls out of love with it. It doesn't matter if it isn't over or that good yet...someone that matters loves it and here we are.

I don't even hate the Wyatt's...used to love'em down in NXT, and if we see more Wyatt-Bryan level work (it doesn't even have to be that good, just...continuously good work out of Harper and Wyatt (Rowan is a lost cause...he'll be dancing or doing a naked gimmick by 2016)...then I'm for them staying at the top, but it shouldn't be there at this point, at least IMO...but I'm willing to roll with it. Its better than having a ton of other cats at the top like Big Show and Kane.

Comment

• Ravin
          Dishing the Gino's
          • Feb 2009

WWE needs to get some more faces though. With Punk gone, they basically have Cena and Bryan, and to a less extent, Sheamus, who is like a couple miles off from those two. Heel side is loaded with Shield, Wyatt, Orton, and now looks like Cesaro and obvious Authority.
          All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Ravin
            WWE needs to get some more faces though. With Punk gone, they basically have Cena and Bryan, and to a less extent, Sheamus, who is like a couple miles off from those two. Heel side is loaded with Shield, Wyatt, Orton, and now looks like Cesaro and obvious Authority.
            And they had designs on turning Sheamus heel too.....but at the time, that also involved Cesaro splitting from Real Americans and turning face. Don't forget that Batista is technically a face too.

Funny, because if you went back 1.5 years, all you heard was that WWE lacked heels, now we have quite a few. Will be interesting to see what they do with the people you've mentioned with WM fast approaching.

Comment

• Ravin
              Dishing the Gino's
              • Feb 2009

And they had designs on turning Sheamus heel too.....but at the time, that also involved Cesaro splitting from Real Americans and turning face. Don't forget that Batista is technically a face too.

Funny, because if you went back 1.5 years, all you heard was that WWE lacked heels, now we have quite a few. Will be interesting to see what they do with the people you've mentioned with WM fast approaching.
              I don't even put Batista in this since he is a 'face' who gets real heat, not just made up heat. And Sheamus to me never struck me as a real heel. Don't know why, but to me he just looks like a good guy.
              All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Ravin
                I don't even put Batista in this since he is a 'face' who gets real heat, not just made up heat. And Sheamus to me never struck me as a real heel. Don't know why, but to me he just looks like a good guy.
                He looks like mayonnaise with two eyes......I can't take him seriously in any role, so face it is.

Comment

• Ravin
                  Dishing the Gino's
                  • Feb 2009

He looks like mayonnaise with two eyes......I can't take him seriously in any role, so face it is.
                  I know WWE already made the joke, but when you look like this, you can't be another more than a face.

"rammer" and "cummings"

Comment

• Leftwich
                    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tailback U
                    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                      No longer a noob
                      • Apr 2011

They're probably alright on faces after Mania. Bryan is crazy over and that makes up for a lot. Who were the #2-5 faces behind Austin in 97? Yeah, I don't know either. When a guy is crazy over, it can make up for a lot. But then you'd have Cena, Reigns, probably Cesaro, you've still got Mysterio, RVD is still rolling around somewhere I assume, Sheamus will probably stay face for a little bit. There's enough.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

"Plugging" Steve Austin is apparently headed to the Staples Center tonight, if whatever dirt sheets my friend follows can be believed.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

A few pages back, we talked about guys who are products of WWE developmental lacking improvisation skills and matches turning into train wrecks if things fall off the rails (Randy Orton is exhibit A, Kofi, Sheamus, others have the same problem).

On the New Japan show the other night, Hiroshi Tanahashi tried to skin the cat and was having all sorts of problems. He tried twice and didn't make it, and was about to try a third time, but instead of standing around and looking like a goof his opponent Shinsuke Nakamura basically said fuck this shit and gave him a running kick to the head before proceeding to work him over.

Now clearly the idea was for Tanahashi to skin the cat, come back in, and take control. This is a transition spot he uses almost every match. But Nakamura knew it would have been ridiculous to stall for that long while this guy struggled to get over the ropes, so he improvised, kicked him in the head, and they scrapped the transition and changed course. And it was done so seamlessly, I had to watch three times to make sure it wasnt the planned spot (it wasn't, Tanahashi just blew it).

I can just picture Randy Orton now, standing there like a geek waiting for Cena or Bryan or whoever to struggle over the ropes. There is no way he saves a situation like that, because they rehearse these PPV matches on the house shows for a week, and god damn it, this is where we do the big transition spot, I have to let it happen. I'm picking on Orton, but they have a roster full of these create-a-wrestlers and you see little things like this all of the time. Like Batista playing to the crowd at the Royal Rumble, when they CLEARLY were not going to cheer him no matter what he did. He looked like a complete idiot, like a stage actor in a show completely bombing who is just following the script and waiting to get out of there.

The beauty of wrestling, is there is no script (theoretically, anyway), and you can improvise when needed. WWE developmental is great, they have this multi million dollar facility which is tremendous and a great thing, but the one major drawback to their rigid system of teaching, is they are creating a roster of robots. That's the difference between a wrestler and a sports entertainer. They may be cleaner around the edges but they are churning out stage actors, not wrestlers.

This note from last week's Observer sums it up nicely:

The style being taught in developmental right now is for the babyfaces to get one comeback spot, build it around trademark spots and finishes should be a specific hold that they always use to win.
                          ROBOTS.

Your Sami Zayn's will be fine, your Solomon Crowe's, etc, but this is soooo counter productive for the people they sign off the street, and it's why you have an undercard full of Darren Young's who have no fucking clue how to really work or how to get over.

There is a reason the best people on the roster came up grassroots through the indies and internationally.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                            A few pages back, we talked about guys who are products of WWE developmental lacking improvisation skills and matches turning into train wrecks if things fall off the rails (Randy Orton is exhibit A, Kofi, Sheamus, others have the same problem).

On the New Japan show the other night, Hiroshi Tanahashi tried to skin the cat and was having all sorts of problems. He tried twice and didn't make it, and was about to try a third time, but instead of standing around and looking like a goof his opponent Shinsuke Nakamura basically said fuck this shit and gave him a running kick to the head before proceeding to work him over.

Now clearly the idea was for Tanahashi to skin the cat, come back in, and take control. This is a transition spot he uses almost every match. But Nakamura knew it would have been ridiculous to stall for that long while this guy struggled to get over the ropes, so he improvised, kicked him in the head, and they scrapped the transition and changed course. And it was done so seamlessly, I had to watch three times to make sure it wasnt the planned spot (it wasn't, Tanahashi just blew it).

I can just picture Randy Orton now, standing there like a geek waiting for Cena or Bryan or whoever to struggle over the ropes. There is no way he saves a situation like that, because they rehearse these PPV matches on the house shows for a week, and god damn it, this is where we do the big transition spot, I have to let it happen. I'm picking on Orton, but they have a roster full of these create-a-wrestlers and you see little things like this all of the time. Like Batista playing to the crowd at the Royal Rumble, when they CLEARLY were not going to cheer him no matter what he did. He looked like a complete idiot, like a stage actor in a show completely bombing who is just following the script and waiting to get out of there.

The beauty of wrestling, is there is no script (theoretically, anyway), and you can improvise when needed. WWE developmental is great, they have this multi million dollar facility which is tremendous and a great thing, but the one major drawback to their rigid system of teaching, is they are creating a roster of robots. That's the difference between a wrestler and a sports entertainer. They may be cleaner around the edges but they are churning out stage actors, not wrestlers.

This note from last week's Observer sums it up nicely:

ROBOTS.

Your Sami Zayn's will be fine, your Solomon Crowe's, etc, but this is soooo counter productive for the people they sign off the street, and it's why you have an undercard full of Darren Young's who have no fucking clue how to really work or how to get over.

There is a reason the best people on the roster came up grassroots through the indies and internationally.
                            90% of WWE's homegrown talent follow the same formula. It makes for brutal entertainment when they get to the meat and potatoes of the biz...the in-ring stuff.

We've discussed it a million times, but the Attitude Era is the time when they lost all focus of what the product is supposed to be.

Comment

• MrBill
                              Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Spidey
                              Ill be at the 2/24 show. Though Ill be way up in a box. Just had my company make the offer this week which I hopped on. Raw, free beer, and free food. Can't go wrong with that. My only regret will be no CM Punk.
                              Hearing that Hulk Hogan and Jimmy Hart will be appearing at that event.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                                • Sep 2024

Austin and RVD backstage tonight

Comment

Working...