X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dell71
    Enter Sandman
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
    My issue is more about how trash talk is part of the game and he seemed to dish it out better than he could take it, which I don't respect. Holding a grudge is one thing but comments made by Joe when Ali's health went down were pretty low and it will always be hard to respect his actions especially when he showed no remorse.

But alas I would prefer not to bash the man any longer I am sure Ali has no ill will so nor shall I, I was merely pointing out the feelings I had toward the man when he was still alive.
    Huge Ali fan myself, but to be fair trash talk wasn't really part of the game until Ali made it that way during the hype leading up to that 1st fight. Before then, Ali did the prediction thing and made a spectacle of himself. With the 1st Frazier fight, he got real personal with his barbs. In retrospect, some of the things he said crossed the line and cut deep. Ali knew it was all a ruse but Joe took every word personally right to his grave. I'll always be a huge Ali guy, but don't have any problem with Frazier hating his guts.

R.I.P. Smokin' Joe.

Comment

• MrBill
      Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
      • Feb 2009

RIP Smokin' Joe.

Saw that Mayweather offered to pay for his funeral. That was classy of him considering that the Frazier family is likely near bankruptcy after Joe's battle with cancer. Mayweather paid for another fighters funeral a little while back. Still doesn't get me past his last fight but it at least makes me think that might be the public persona that he wants to project and that a real person with respect for boxing history is in there somewhere.

Comment

• dave
        Go the fuck outside
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jeffx
        I'm an Ali fan too, but I can understand Joe's bitterness. Joe felt betrayed. He lent Ali money, then Ali says all that ugly shit about him.

It's too bad most of you cats weren't around for that first fight in March '71. I'm telling you, the atmosphere surrounding it was INCREDIBLE. Even the nuns at my catholic school were excited over it. There hasn't been anything like it since.
        How old are you???

I was only 5 in March 71. You must be 100 years old to remember that. :D
        My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MrBill
          RIP Smokin' Joe.

Saw that Mayweather offered to pay for his funeral. That was classy of him considering that the Frazier family is likely near bankruptcy after Joe's battle with cancer. Mayweather paid for another fighters funeral a little while back. Still doesn't get me past his last fight but it at least makes me think that might be the public persona that he wants to project and that a real person with respect for boxing history is in there somewhere.
          Money May respects the legends. Why do you think he worked so hard to become one?

Now back to the Smokin' Joe reminiscing, that left hook tho ...

Comment

• Bmore
            The True Free-Man
            • Oct 2008

RIP

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
              Beautiful Like Moses
              • Oct 2008

Mayweather offering to pay for the funeral is huge for me. A lot more respect for Floyd after hearing that.

Comment

• jeffx
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by dave
                How old are you???

I was only 5 in March 71. You must be 100 years old to remember that. :D
                I was ten at the time and remember it like it was yesterday.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by dell71
                  Huge Ali fan myself, but to be fair trash talk wasn't really part of the game until Ali made it that way during the hype leading up to that 1st fight. Before then, Ali did the prediction thing and made a spectacle of himself. With the 1st Frazier fight, he got real personal with his barbs. In retrospect, some of the things he said crossed the line and cut deep. Ali knew it was all a ruse but Joe took every word personally right to his grave. I'll always be a huge Ali guy, but don't have any problem with Frazier hating his guts.

R.I.P. Smokin' Joe.
                  Frazier came out a few years ago and said all was forgiven IIRC

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by jeffx
                    I was ten at the time and remember it like it was yesterday.
                    God damn you're old

Comment

• jeffx
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                      God damn you're old
                      But I look better than a lot of dudes half my age, and I still get in the girls' pants. :twinkle:

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                        Throbbing Tebowner
                        • Oct 2008

ITT, a bunch of people old Jeffx could beat up.
                        So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Liquidrob
                          Izzy is a bum
                          • Feb 2009

he was always a great guest on howard stern, here is a prank call they made with his clips

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZEDkAYb_ik"]Joe Frazier Prank Call to a Body Shop (Howard Stern) - YouTube[/ame]
                          Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

Working...