X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calgaryballer
    Tiote!
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Steel Mamba
    You honestly don't think that these guys, at this level, aren't fierce competitors and want to be the best at their craft?
    HE IS! His craft is beating up people that are his size and doing it damn well. Is there a better 170 pounder in the world? If there was, then great, GSP's not the best. But he is the top and he's smashed everyone. Why does he have to move up and try and fight a guy who probably has 20-40 pounds on him? This isn't boxing where the next class is only four pounds up

Comment

• Liquidrob
      Izzy is a bum
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Steel Mamba
      You honestly don't think that these guys, at this level, aren't fierce competitors and want to be the best at their craft?
      Not really, especially post 30 years old, why doesn't And1 not want to fight Jones? Beating Jones is a much bigger win and a stronger legacy fight?

Money is the number 1 factor for fighters, not being called "The best" by the fans
      Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• Liquidrob
        Izzy is a bum
        • Feb 2009

CB makes a good point, moving up in MMA is such a bigger task then in boxing, guys go up 3, 4 pounds and get another belt, its 15 and more in MMA, being pushed to move shouldn't be as often like in boxing, guys generally in MMA move down which is somewhat different then boxing, more wrestlers, shorter rounds, etc...

If Silva wants this fight, he can make 170, just like Cyborg wanting Rousey, you know the class, go make it
        Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• calgaryballer
          Tiote!
          • Mar 2009

The other thing to keep in mind is that GSP is convinced that moving up is not a short term thing for his body. If he goes to 185, he has to stay there. Personally, I'd rather see GSP continue to fight 170ers than to move up to 185. Even if he beats Anderson, fights against Sonnen/Bisping/whoever else at 185 just don't do it for me. Hendricks/Diaz/MacDonald (if they ever want to fight) are much more interesting to me

Comment

• Steel Mamba
            Nasty
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Liquidrob
            CB makes a good point, moving up in MMA is such a bigger task then in boxing, guys go up 3, 4 pounds and get another belt, its 15 and more in MMA, being pushed to move shouldn't be as often like in boxing, guys generally in MMA move down which is somewhat different then boxing, more wrestlers, shorter rounds, etc...

If Silva wants this fight, he can make 170, just like Cyborg wanting Rousey, you know the class, go make it
            It goes both ways then, keep in mind no one is asking him to fight at mw, this is a +5 lb catchweight bout for him. So if GSP can't put on 5 lbs, likely meaning he just has to cut less weight, then definitely Silva deserves the same respect and we shouldn't expect someone who has fought at 205 to make a full cut to WW. Plus, cutting major weight can be far more detrimental than adding.

Comment

• Cornelius
              3rd place is you're fired
              • Oct 2010

Do most of you guys actually like GSP? I'm not a fan. I always rooted for BJ and Matt Hughes to beat him.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                Tiote!
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Cornelius
                Do most of you guys actually like GSP? I'm not a fan. I always rooted for BJ and Matt Hughes to beat him.
                Yes. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing, but I love GSP. Probably the only fighter I get nervous for when I watch the fight (the Serra fight damaged my psyche as much as his)

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Cornelius
                  No real opinion either way.

There are a couple of fighters here & there that I will pull for, and a couple that I dislike, but generally I have no strong feeling and just root for good finishes and action.

Comment

Working...