X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apocalypse
    • Nov 2008

Coyotes file for bankruptcy protection

Bettman skeptical of Balsillie offer for Coyotes

NEW YORK (AP) - NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is skeptical of Jim Balsillie's offer to buy the Phoenix Coyotes, saying he isn't sure the BlackBerry boss could gain approval of league owners.

Canada's revenge? Canada looks like it might finally be able to take a team away from the U.S. See some of the franchises America has taken from its northern neighbor.
    The NHL stripped current Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes of the authority to run the club Tuesday after Moyes announced the team had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Balsillie announced a plan to buy the financially troubled team and move it to Canada, where they were the Winnipeg Jets before moving to Phoenix for the 1996-97 season.

"I don't know whether or not he could get approved," Bettman said Wednesday during a discussion of commissioners from the four major U.S. pro sports leagues, sponsored by The Wall Street Journal. "That's, as I said, something I don't get a vote on. If in fact it becomes an issue for board consideration, the board of governors of the league will make that decision."

Balsillie, co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion, said his $212.5 million offer is conditional on the Coyotes relocating to Canada.

The team's Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing included the proposed sale of the franchise to PSE Sports & Entertainment, LP.

Bettman said the filing occurred "not because creditors were lurking and seeking redress for not being paid, but because there was an offer apparently from Mr. Balsillie to buy the franchise and move it."

"This is not about whether or not we want a franchise in southern Ontario. This is not about whether or not Mr. Balsillie would make a suitable owner that the owners would approve. This is about the league's rules and the enforceability of our rules," Bettman said.

"Whether or not Mr. Moyes even had the authority to file the bankruptcy petition is something we're going to get into. This is more about the tactic and I think a challenge to league rules than it is about economic condition of the club, which we believe can with new ownership and with the accommodations the city of Glendale is prepared to make, we think can succeed."

Bettman sounded as if the league wouldn't approve a move of the Coyotes right now.

"We generally try to avoid relocating franchises unless you absolutely have to," he said. "We think when a franchise is in trouble, you try and fix the problems. That's what we did in Pittsburgh and Ottawa and Buffalo prior to our work stoppage. That's what we did when the perception was that five out of the six Canadian franchises around the turn of the century were in trouble. We fixed the problems. We don't run out on cities."
    There's more news about this, i could post in a while, but imo, the Coyotes need to move, and if they're gonna go to Canada, so be it.

Bettman needs to let it go, let them move...he's been holding the team from leaving Phoenix for a couple years now and this is what happens.

RIP West
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

bettman is a fucking dickhead that isn't looking out for the best interests of the league.

all these shitty ass southern teams are surviving off the incredible profits of the Leafs and Canadiens.

instead of having these teams who are basically living off social security, why not tap the gold mine that is southern ontario?

leaf fans would pack that place full, since only suits get to go to actual leaf games.

Comment

• Apocalypse
      • Nov 2008

exactly.

I personally think that there shouldn't be any teams south of kentucky and west of the mississippi, unless the city / state has a good winter season, the southern teams don't have a following at all.

I hate living in FL not being able to watch the fucking Panthers or Lightning, because they aren't on regular tv.

Well, i hated it until i got Center Ice. lol.

RIP West

Comment

• killgod
        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
        • Oct 2008

LOL

there is no local broadcast for those clubs?

fucking unreal......

Comment

• Apocalypse
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by killgod
          LOL

there is no local broadcast for those clubs?

fucking unreal......

yeah, i don't know how it's like in Tampa and Sunrise, but there's 0% coverage of any NHL team down here.

It's so ridiculous, i don't know how the southern or hot-climated teams make money.

RIP West

Comment

• theMINI
            • Nov 2008

Move these useless teams up north to Canada.

Give Quebec City another chance.

Comment

• killgod
              OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Apocalypse21691
              yeah, i don't know how it's like in Tampa and Sunrise, but there's 0% coverage of any NHL team down here.

It's so ridiculous, i don't know how the southern or hot-climated teams make money.
              the only numbers I can find are from 07-08

Tampa actually had a positive operating income that season....while Florida was well in the red.

Profit sharing keeps everyone afloat...well almost everyone. lol

Originally posted by theMINI
              Move these useless teams up north to Canada.

Give Quebec City another chance.
              I'd love to see it.

Comment

• Apocalypse
                • Nov 2008

I really think that Quebec, Ontario, Winnipeg, Hartford, and a couple other cities deserve teams.
                Take these southern teams and move them up north, if they think they're making a profit where they are now, wait until they move into a city where hockey's the #1 sport.

RIP West

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

The Road Runner wins again....

Comment

• wr50l
                    Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                    • Oct 2008

bettman is a fucking dickhead that isn't looking out for the best interests of the league.
                    Enlighten me, why doesn't he want to take the easy money of these Canadian cities?

Comment

• Ravin
                      Dishing the Gino's
                      • Feb 2009

One of the reasons was he didn't want to move teams from markets where they have fans. Didn't think it was fair, yet they have done it enough times already.
                      All you need to know when thinking of the NHL vs Madden series is the two people involved in making the games.

"rammer" and "cummings"

The NHL series is a giver, Madden takes the load.

Comment

• killgod
                        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                        • Oct 2008

if Ballsillie gets the Coyotes. this is what he'll be doing to Copps Coliseum.

Comment

• Senser81
                          VSN Poster of the Year
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wr50l
                          Enlighten me, why doesn't he want to take the easy money of these Canadian cities?
                          The Canadian government has ridiculous tax laws (evidently Obama is trying to follow the Canadian model), so its virtually impossible for an NHL team to be consistently profitable in Canada.

Comment

• killgod
                            OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
                            The Canadian government has ridiculous tax laws (evidently Obama is trying to follow the Canadian model), so its virtually impossible for an NHL team to be consistently profitable in Canada.
                            wut

Comment

• Senser81
                              VSN Poster of the Year
                              • Feb 2009

wut
                              Which part was too difficult for you to understand?

Comment

Working...