Leftwich's Top 100 Games of All Time

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wingsfan77
    • Aug 2009

FF7 was the game that really sucked me into gaming, first game I tried to max out all characters and get the best weapons.

Comment

• Maynard
      stupid ass titles
      • Feb 2009

i never played any of the FF games.

Comment

• Woy
        RIP West
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Leftwich

Donkey Kong Country

Platform: SNES

What a surprise! A Super Nintendo game makes the list yet again. Sorry guys, as I stated before the SNES was my favorite system and it molded me into the gamer I am today. Anyway, Donkey Kong Country was one of the most revolutionary games on the SNES. Forget Star Fox and any other game that gave you archaic 3-D but as far as Characters and levels, everything in Donkey Kong Country looks like its shaded and popping out.

The whole point of Donkey Kong Country is to traverse through all the levels and take back the big banana horde from King K Rool, the leader of the Kremlings. Donkey Kong is the aptly named main character but he doesn’t have to do this whole journey alone. He is aided by Diddy Kong, his agile nephew. Donkey Kong is stronger and has a slamming attack on the ground while Diddy is faster and can jump further and has a goofy cartwheel attack. I usually tagged in and out depending on how much jumping was needed in the level. The duo also has Cranky Kong, who provides you with jokes and hints if you get stuck, Candy Kong, who is who you go to for saving your game and finally Funky Kong, who will transport you to the next set of levels after you beat the end boss of each part. In the first level, Kongo Jungle, you get introduced to the game in a very simple manor. You get a basic platforming level and as it goes on it gives you a taste of everything. Just like in every platforming game you get stuck with a water level but at least in Donkey Kong Country you get a swordfish to attack enemies. Cause if either Donkey Kong or Diddy Kong get hit they’re dead. Fortunately the game isn’t too difficult. You get plenty of bananas to collect so you can get an extra life or two, checkpoint barrels are plentiful as well so even if you die you can start there again and extra life balloons can be found as well. All in all its an easy game but can be frustrating at times. The end bosses aren’t too difficult if you can get their patterns down. Other than that the game is somewhat long, I mean if you’re really dedicated you could probably beat the game in 4-5 hours but at the risk of getting burnt out. I mean the game isn’t repetitive but playing over and over, especially a platformer, would get monotonous. This game is really diverse. I mean that as in differing levels and a variety of gameplay but when you go from an extremely fun level like riding in a minecart to just jumping and avoiding getting hit by coconuts kinda sucks.

Graphically I think this is the best looking game on the SNES. Sure they did sequels but none of them looked any worse or better than this game. This was the first game to use a technique that pre rendered everything in 3D and put it on a 2D plain. The end result was pure beauty. The trees looked great, water looked real enough for a 16 bit system and just everything from the characters moving to the backgrounds looked fantastic. The sound was also very well done. The jungle themed soundtrack for the jungle levels to a more techno for the caves was great and a nice touch. You forget how much sound does for a game when you don’t listen to it. Character chatter and just everything you hear in this game is just top notch and one of the Super Nintendo’s crown jewels.

I can honestly say the majority of you guys have at least played a level or two of this game and don’t need me to tell you to play it so just watch the video and enjoy.

SNES Donkey Kong Country - Jungle Hijinks - YouTube

The DKC series is my favorite gaming series...OF ALL-TIME.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• dope
          Allons-y!
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wingsfan77
          FF7 was the game that really sucked me into gaming, first game I tried to max out all characters and get the best weapons.
          same here not to mention i wasted HOURS racing chocobo's at the golden saucer trying to breed a gold chocobo

Comment

• riley420
            You're goddamned right.
            • Feb 2009

How can you post about FF7 without posting this epic awesomeness:

[youtube][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heL6FCojAbI"]Final Fantasy VII 7: Knights of the Round summon - YouTube[/ame][/youtube]

Hours upon hours upon hours to do whatever I did to get that shit. Fucking awesome.

Comment

• padman59
              Slayer of Demons
              • Mar 2009

Knights of the Round.

Never has there been a tactic to make such haste of any foe or arena.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
                Wakka Wakka
                • Dec 2008

MOAR!!!
                THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• Leftwich
                  Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Final Fantasy VIII

Platform: Playstation

Yeah I have this above Final Fantasy VII. I couldn’t think of a way better to place this game on my list other than putting it right after Final Fantasy 7. There are a lot of reasons why I have this here that I’ll explain later.

Alright first and foremost Final Fantasy 8 was the second Final Fantasy on the Playstation. At the time of its release it was the fastest selling Final Fantasy game of all time but was later outdone by Final Fantasy 13. Just as in all the other Final Fantasy games you have your world consisting of various masses of land and islands. As usual, you walk around on the land and get into battles and gain experience. The main thing they added to Final Fantasy 8 that I absolutely loved was the junction system. A lot of Final Fantasy freaks hate the junction system but in my opinion it was something I wished that would have followed through the rest of the series. Unfortunately it didn’t and I lost interest in playing later games. I mean I played 9 but wasn’t that interested and just completely stopped playing it. The whole junction system is based off of these monsters you can summon. You assign one or multiple to your character and they gain certain statistics. You have to assign magic to each statistic such as HP, Attack, etc. The stronger the magic is the higher the benefit, ie, Curaga will be more powerful than cura or cure. To get that magic you have to go about it one of two ways. Find draw points throughout the world to stock magic or draw from enemies in battle. The more of a spell you have stocked the more powerful your statistics will be. Summoning a guardian forces, the monsters, will open up a cinematic sequence where the monster will attack the enemy. GF’s you could summon contain attack ones like Ifrit, Brothers, Diablo or monsters like Siren or Doomtrain that will dish statistic punishment. They are a big part of the game and when in a bind can help get you through the tougher boss battles. Final Fantasy is abundant with boss battles. Some of the battles are extremely hard or frustrating but some can be very easy depending on your strategy and junctioning magic to your attack that the monster is weak to. Final Fantasy 8 is very in depth with their gameplay and really made me become a more strategic player when I’m playing FF8. Just like FF8 the game is very long and full of stuff to do outside of the main quest. The Triple Triad card game was an addiction of mine. I used to play it non stop and sometimes more than the actual game. On top of all that, the game is on 4 discs. Believe me with all the boss battles and different locales, each time you complete a disk you think you’re playing a whole new game when you pop in the next one. Graphically I like what Final Fantasy 8 did. They ditched the cartoon type look that was used in every entry in this series and went with a more mature look. I think it looks great and the atmosphere of the whole game is just amazing. The Diablo fight is one of the most graphically unappealing fights ever. It’s in a dark area and all you see is him and your party… kinda lame but maybe it was part of the art direction. The soundtrack to the game is great for a Playstation game. The songs are all lyrics I don’t understand but the mood the music sets is just top notch.

I want dive too much into the story here but you take control of Squall Leonhart, when you think emo, this is your guy. He is a 17 year old teen who attends Balamb Garden, an academy that trains mercenaries. His rival is Seifer Almassy, a cocky mother fucker. Things go wrong after his first field test along side Zell and Quistis. Seifer turns his back on the academy and joins forces with the evil Sorceress Edea. As you play through the game you realize what is going on and why everything is happening the way it is. After you complete the first disk and take care of the epic boss battle, you assume control of Laguna in a time before Squall. This was an interesting choice by Square to add a side story to the game and later sew it into the main one. If you’re looking for a really good story and a hell of a game, look no further. Sure it will get complicated at some points but damn does it pay off at the end with one of the hardest boss fights I’ve ever had to go through.

Final Fantasy 8 is always overshadowed by 7 and it’s a damn shame. I honestly think this is a way better game than 7 but put it right after it on the list because I think it seems fitting. Check for yourself in the video and if you’ve never given this game a shot you need to download it from the Playstation store.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJSdORSdFM&feature=related"]Final Fantasy 8 - long, tough battle with T-Rexaur - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by Tailback U
                  It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Houston
                    Back home
                    • Oct 2008

Ha, while scrolling down I was planning on posting about Final Fantasy VIII. I had been playing RPG's for years, but Final Fantasy VIII was my first from the series. It's still my 2nd favorite behind FFX.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4d6H6t2KTU"]Final Fantasy VIII Mechanical Spider Chase - YouTube[/ame]

One of my favorite sequences ever, I fell in love with Quistis whens she came out of nowhere with that gun to save me.

Comment

• Leftwich
                      Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Houston
                      Ha, while scrolling down I was planning on posting about Final Fantasy VIII. I had been playing RPG's for years, but Final Fantasy VIII was my first from the series. It's still my 2nd favorite behind FFX.

Final Fantasy VIII Mechanical Spider Chase - YouTube

One of my favorite sequences ever, I fell in love with Quistis whens he came out of nowhere with that gun to save me.
                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyKzTyaOq4"]Final Fantasy VIII - Sorceress Edea's Parade - YouTube[/ame]

Like this scene way more. Irvine with the shot and Edea with the block!!!

Comment

• Twigg4075
                        Kindergarten Cop
                        • Feb 2009

I think I need to check out of this thread. The overwhelming amount of JRPG's, and Final Fantasy games in general, is annoying the fuck out of me.

Of course Lefty is entitled to his opinion and it's his list. I do respect all the work he is putting into it though. But we obviously have very differing tastes.

I bid you gentlemen adieu.

Comment

• Buzzman
                          • Oct 2008

You'll be back.

Comment

• Leftwich
                            Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                            I think I need to check out of this thread. The overwhelming amount of JRPG's, and Final Fantasy games in general, is annoying the fuck out of me.

Of course Lefty is entitled to his opinion and it's his list. I do respect all the work he is putting into it though. But we obviously have very differing tastes.

Those were the last JRPGs. I wanted to have a disclaimer for you but thats its.

Comment

• Houston
                              Back home
                              • Oct 2008

Good riddance.

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                                I literally know nothing.
                                • Jul 2009

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzyMFXmCq-Y"]The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee Says Good-Bye - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...