X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SethMode
    Master of Mysticism
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JayDizzle

Heard from a GB Bombcast that eventually you can exhaust enemies during the game.

They haven't used the Acetic that makes enemies harder as a possible way to refill the world.

But if you can do that AND ONLY THAT to get the world back to a soul-harvesting state in the early game after losing Souls... that sucks.
    As someone who has played the first two games a lot, I disagree IMMENSELY. This seems like a step in the right direction design-wise...away from the semi-senseless grinding.

Comment

• padman59
      Slayer of Demons
      • Mar 2009

Well, my time with this game is done until the PC release. I had a lot of fun with this, but I'm looking forward to better performance and load times.

Originally posted by SethMode
      As someone who has played the first two games a lot, I disagree IMMENSELY. This seems like a step in the right direction design-wise...away from the semi-senseless grinding.
      I ended up feeling that it was even more important to retrieve my souls when I died because I knew the enemies would eventually disappear and I would never be able to recoup those souls if I lost them. Though it was nice to eventually have a clear path to the one boss I had a ton of trouble with and not have to worry about wasting an Estus beforehand.

Comment

• Maynard
        stupid ass titles
        • Feb 2009

agree...2 things that annoyed the shit out of me was having to constantly fight the same guys over and over to get back to where i was. the other being the feeling that i always had to grind out the same levels to make my player better. imo these things take away from the feeling of reward you would get from patiently killing a tough opponent.

the game is hard enough without having to feel frustrated by beating the same guys over and over

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

also, saw some spoiler pics posted on gamespot of the various world. while the game appears to be incredibly large and varied, it also looked fairly dated. just blah and washed...what impression of the visuals do you have?

Comment

• padman59
            Slayer of Demons
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
            also, saw some spoiler pics posted on gamespot of the various world. while the game appears to be incredibly large and varied, it also looked fairly dated. just blah and washed...what impression of the visuals do you have?
            It looks fine overall for a game on PS3 and 360. There are some areas that look pretty good and others where the textures are definitely toned down. I would expect the PC version to look and run much better.

Comment

• JayDizzle
              Let's Go All The Way...
              • Nov 2008

I personally don't mind the grinding if there's a reason behind it.

You gotta get better to beat the harder bosses and if there's no way to do it (grinding out more souls for stat points) after eating shit on the same enemy all day, that's no fun.

Then again, putting in a system that requires you to actually think about what you're doing with the finite amount of Souls isn't bad either.

I'm torn.

Comment

• Buzzman
                • Oct 2008

GROSS

Comment

• Rylo
                  Corpse Disgracer
                  • Oct 2008

Looks like shit lol

Comment

• SethMode
                    Master of Mysticism
                    • Feb 2009

I am confused as to what the .gif is even trying to show.

Jay, my problem with the grinding in Demon's and Dark is that it doesn't teach you anything, and teaching you is what is important in the game. The enemies are stacked so heavily against you power-wise, that you have to learn how to fight them and/or how to evade them. Basically, what Maynard said was right: the grinding prior was brutal because it ultimately came down to you capping your level to the point where fighting those things was pointless -- only, the reason you capped your level was because you died on the boss 5 times so had to beat all the fuckers prior to the boss 5 times.

I love Demon's Souls a lot (made my top 50), and I really like Dark Souls, but I can easily admit that this seems to be a step in the right direction as far as challenge, limiting repetitiveness, and creating what is essentially a real penalty for fucking up (I have lost huge amounts of souls in Demon's and Dark, but that's almost always out of my own stupid hubris).

Comment

• Maynard
                      stupid ass titles
                      • Feb 2009

what am i looking at there? i assume the reveal video is the pre release look? they both look shitty

Comment

• SethMode
                        Master of Mysticism
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
                        what am i looking at there? i assume the reveal video is the pre release look? they both look shitty
                        I feel like it's stupid either way. Was anyone advertising that Dark Souls 2 was going to knock everyone's socks off visually?

Comment

• Maynard
                          stupid ass titles
                          • Feb 2009

it is a last gen game. not sure why this isnt out on ps4 or boney. but i think ps4 and boney owners are starting to see that last gen doesnt look so good. 2 years ago this game would have looked great.

pc version will no doubt look great

Comment

• Maynard
                            stupid ass titles
                            • Feb 2009

wtf nobody cares at all about this game? sad

This week on The Lobby, we show off the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall, play some Dark Souls 2 on the PC, an early look at FIFA World Cup 2014, go over the week's gaming news, and give away some sweet schwag!

around the 55 min mark they play DS2 on the pc. SAD SAD SAD state of affairs. this is a straight port and according the vanord other than the hd textures the game looks identical to the ps3/360 versions. total no way i would buy.

Comment

• padman59
                              Slayer of Demons
                              • Mar 2009

Based on what I saw from the Quick Look on Giant Bomb, the lighting inconsistencies (e.g. some light sources having dynamic lighting while others don't) bother me a bit. but overall, I'm not concerned from what I saw. The ability to have a consistent 60 fps experience is more than enough reason to get the PC version for me.

Comment

• Maynard
                                stupid ass titles
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by padman59
                                Based on what I saw from the Quick Look on Giant Bomb, the lighting inconsistencies (e.g. some light sources having dynamic lighting while others don't) bother me a bit. but overall, I'm not concerned from what I saw. The ability to have a consistent 60 fps experience is more than enough reason to get the PC version for me.
                                i was just so bummed to hear him start the segment with someone went out of there way to make sure the pc version looks just like the console.

he later said that if you play on the 1280 resolution that it looks identical to the consoles. i would play on that res, but the fact that the console is that close to the pc is really pathetic. why did we have to wait an extra month....lol

Comment

Working...