Official Xbox One Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

I hate microtransactions as well, but there's two things to consider here. The first, they are here to stay as they a proven model. But, you personally still have the choice as a gamer whether to use them or not. For me, if I am already dropping $60 on a game, I will not be using microtransactions.

Second, they can be used to alter who is playing a game, specifically MMOs. The Old Republic was really down subscriptions a year into the game, and decided that they could do a Free-to-Play option that included micro transactions. As it turns out, it's worked for them and in an eight month period, they've released two big content releases- a new five level planet and a new gameplay mode.

Again, I hate them, as do many "hardcore" gamers, and I use that term loosely because it pretty much covers everyone here who posts at VSN. However, they do have value for some games, and they are certainly here to stay. It doesn't make much sense complaining about it.

Comment

• Twigg4075
      Kindergarten Cop
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
      I hate microtransactions as well, but there's two things to consider here. The first, they are here to stay as they a proven model. But, you personally still have the choice as a gamer whether to use them or not. For me, if I am already dropping $60 on a game, I will not be using microtransactions.

Second, they can be used to alter the way a game is played, specifically MMOs. The Old Republic was really down subscriptions a year into the game, and decided that they could do a Free-to-Play option that included micro transactions. As it turns out, it's worked for them and in an eight month period, they've released two big content releases- a new five level planet and a new gameplay mode.

Again, I hate them, as do many "hardcore" gamers, and I use that term loosely because it pretty much covers everyone here who posts at VSN. However, they do have value for some games, and they are certainly here to stay. It doesn't make much sense complaining about it.
      I 100% agree that they make sense in FREE games, but not full priced $60 games. That's what makes me furious. M$ specifically is trying to use a model that has only been used by FTP up wo this point but they are incorporating them into full priced games. And they're doing nefarious things like blatantly throwing the shit in your face at every opportunity or purposely nerfing a game's economy to hopefully force you to spend more money. I still remember Forza Horizon ( a game that I throughly enjoyed btw) being brought down a peg or two because at every opportunity there was a load screen or a prompt asking me to spend actual money or M$ points to buy token to unlock more cars. Fuck you.

I also don't have an issue when games want to basically include cheat codes for a price. I, like you, would never buy them, but in every game I've seen them in they didn't alter the game if you chose not to. If you still wanted to play the game "as intended" so to speak, you could still get 100% out of it without having to be wallet raped. Dead Space 3 comes to mind. When that game came out all I heard about were the disgusting microtransactions. Well, after playing it the only time I saw them was in regards to the little salvage bot that you could send out and it only prompted a purchase in that wepon bench crafting menu. And I think it only prompted you once if I'm not mistaken. And I had no problem with that because I had no interest in that and played the game normally and earned more than enough salvage myself.

Comment

• PP
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz

Second, they can be used to alter who is playing a game, specifically MMOs. The Old Republic was really down subscriptions a year into the game, and decided that they could do a Free-to-Play option that included micro transactions. As it turns out, it's worked for them and in an eight month period, they've released two big content releases- a new five level planet and a new gameplay mode.

I disagree. If nobody ever voices their opinion the game companies would just do whatever they want. Consumers who buy the products should complain and discuss. It helps the damn companies when consumers speak up.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by PP
          I disagree. If nobody ever voices their opinion the game companies would just do whatever they want. Consumers who buy the products should complain and discuss. It helps the damn companies when consumers speak up.
          Except when the people complaining are clearly the minority. I get what you are saying, but if it wasn't a successful model, the companies would not include these in games.

Comment

• Primetime
            Thank You Prince
            • Nov 2008

I don't get the MT beef. Not like the $60 games are behind a pay wall. It's just there for people with no patience that want the best stuff without accomplishing it. You never have to use it in retail games. Just ignore it and move on. A large percentage of the gaming population uses the MT. They're not going anywhere.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Twigg4075
              Kindergarten Cop
              • Feb 2009

I also have an XBone question. As far as running your tv through the console, does it only work with cable or can you use a DirecTv receiver as well?

Comment

• StoneCold X
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                I also have an XBone question. As far as running your tv through the console, does it only work with cable or can you use a DirecTv receiver as well?
                I don't see why you couldn't use DirecTV as long as your receiver has HDMI out, which I am assuming it does

Comment

• PepperNY
                  Best in the World
                  • Jan 2011

I have DirecTV and it works fine for me

Comment

• Twigg4075
                    Kindergarten Cop
                    • Feb 2009

Cool, thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk.

Comment

• Hitman
                      Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
                      • Jun 2009

Xbone support HDCP passthrough? May have some issues if you have Dish.

Comment

• Primetime
                        Thank You Prince
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Hitman
                        Xbone support HDCP passthrough? May have some issues if you have Dish.
                        Dish is compatible.

Comment

• MmmmBeeeeer
                          PTFO
                          • Mar 2009

My harmony remote works well with the X1, but for some reason it won't work when in the NFL app (I can still back out to the dashboard though). I have an older model (550) so I had to do some manual button configuring, but it wasn't bad. Glad that Logitech still supports all of their Harmony remotes and not just the newer ones.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                            Kindergarten Cop
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MmmmBeeeeer
                            My harmony remote works well with the X1, but for some reason it won't work when in the NFL app (I can still back out to the dashboard though). I have an older model (550) so I had to do some manual button configuring, but it wasn't bad. Glad that Logitech still supports all of their Harmony remotes and not just the newer ones.

I would hope so with as expensive as those mfers are.

Comment

• PP
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Primetime
                              I don't get the MT beef. Not like the $60 games are behind a pay wall. It's just there for people with no patience that want the best stuff without accomplishing it. You never have to use it in retail games. Just ignore it and move on. A large percentage of the gaming population uses the MT. They're not going anywhere.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                              Except some companies are releasing games with this shit built in and pushing people towards it. Its not just DLC and little shit. Games are coming out focused on ripping you off. See Forza and the backlash they just took. Remember what EA did with Tiger Woods?

Comment

• MmmmBeeeeer
                                PTFO
                                • Mar 2009

I would hope so with as expensive as those mfers are.

Yeah I was looking at upgrading and they have gotten ridiculously expensive. I got mine on black friday for $40 iirc several years ago.

I will never use another remote though, they are great.

Comment

Working...