Official Xbox One Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

Its a nice addition but 80% of the gamers or more wont need it.

I mean I had the 60GB PS3 and Filled it up once. Once it saw it was full I deleted almost everything...as I wasnt going to play games I downloaded 3+ years ago.

It has to have it in this day in age though.

Comment

• Twigg4075
      Kindergarten Cop
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jms493
      Its a nice addition but 80% of the gamers or more wont need it.

I mean I had the 60GB PS3 and Filled it up once. Once it saw it was full I deleted almost everything...as I wasnt going to play games I downloaded 3+ years ago.

It has to have it in this day in age though.
      Yup. Considering the XBOne doesn't support swapping internal drives they didn't have a choice. They painted themselves into a corner. At least on PS4 you can swap drives like on PS3. But I would prefer using an external anyway. The WiiU has the option and now it looks like the Bone will. Sony needs to add that option as well.

Comment

• Twigg4075
        Kindergarten Cop
        • Feb 2009

'Tracing the collapse of the INTEGRAL Kinect in Microsoft's own words' (Polygon)

Your source for the latest in video games, sci-fi, fantasy, tabletop games, anime, horror, books, and comics.

By Christopher Grant on May 13, 2014 at 3:30p @chrisgrant

STAY CONNECTED. FOLLOW POLYGON NOW! ×
        The Xbox One was revealed one year ago this month and, in that 12-month period, Microsoft has struggled to define just what the console is.

From the disastrous reveal, overshadowed by questions about the console's always-on requirement, to its near-total reversal following Sony's strong showing at E3 last year, to the departure of key Xbox exec Don Mattrick to the decidedly less cool Zynga, it's almost impossible to believe it's only been a year. But one thing was always constant: The new Kinect was an integral component of the Xbox One.

Until today.

MAY - JUNE 2013
        The all-new Kinect is now an essential and integrated part of the platform. By having it as a consistent part of every Xbox One, game and entertainment creators can build experiences that assume the availability of voice, gesture and natural sensing, leading to unrivaled ease of use, premium experiences and interactivity for you.
        That comes from an Xbox Wire Q&A published just after the launch event last May. The Kinect was, in fact, so integral to the Xbox One that it was required in order for the console to work, as confirmed by Xbox's U.K. marketing director.

Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes.
        In the following weeks, it wasn't the bundled Kinect that would attract the ire of would-be Xbox One owners, but rather the company's clumsy explanation of its digital rights policy.

MUST READ

Microsoft: Dropping Kinect could free up extra processing power in Xbox One
        With a stated focus on games at E3, Microsoft wasn't interested in debating the merits of its always-on strategy or the wisdom of bundling Kinect in with every Xbox One. Previously Kinect-only games like Crimson Dragon and Ryse reappeared on Microsoft's new console with their motion controls all but gutted, while Kinect-only games like Kinect Sports Rivals failed to impress (both at E3 and at release last month). An admittedly impressive demo showcased possible uses for a bundled Kinect augmenting more traditional gameplay, but proof-of-concept prototypes behind closed doors at industry trade shows don't sell consoles.

With the price of the Xbox One confirmed at $499, a full $100 more than the PlayStation 4, the necessity of the bundled Kinect came into question. Microsoft's Phil Harrison told the Telegraph:

We feel great about the value of Xbox One. It's a unique architecture, with Kinect and the power of the cloud [...] We couldn't be happier with the price we're starting at.
        While Microsoft execs were publicly confident about their pricing, changes were already happening. Less than a week after E3, Microsoft reversed its online-only policy, reverting the console's proposed functionality to that of the Xbox 360.

AUGUST - SEPTEMBER 2013
        With the always-on controversy behind it, the Kinect came under increased scrutiny. Two months later, buried at the end of an IGN reader Q&A question about the requirement of having the Kinect plugged into the console, Xbox One "Chief Platform Architect" Marc Whitten — who has since left Microsoft — casually revealed that the camera could, in fact, be disconnected.

Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn't plugged in, although you won't be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.
        In addition, said Whitten, Xbox One users would be able to turn off the Kinect entirely in the console's settings and still have the Kinect work as an IR blaster for cable TV control. The company continued to maintain its position that Kinect would be the preferred navigation and control interface for the Xbox One. At the time, a Microsoft representative told Polygon, "We still believe that once you try the all-new Kinect and the game and entertainment experiences it enhances or enables, you won't want to use your Xbox One without it."

With the announcement that the Xbox One could in fact operate without a Kinect, Microsoft began to reiterate its necessity. Later in August, Phil Harrison told CVG:

Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem.
        The following week, Harrison was asked by the U.K.'s Metro if there would be a "Kinect-less bundle."

Absolutely no plans at all. We think Kinect is an integral part of our platform.
        All of the magical experiences that you get, both as a games-player and also the way you navigate the system are made even more amazing because of Kinect.
        In early September, Microsoft's Albert Penello told Ars Technica:

Kinect is part of the Xbox One. It is part of the experience that we're building. It's as fundamental to the platform as the controller is in many ways. It sounds like I'm making up an excuse, but I think someone [could say], 'What if I shipped Xbox One without a controller, because you would prefer a different controller than the one I'm shipping?'
        OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2013
        The following month, Penello waded into the contentious gaming forum NeoGAF to explain the company's insistence on the Kinect being "integral."

You can do a ton with the system without Kinect plugged in, and we support that scenario. However, you will lose some features if it's not plugged in, you'll lose some conveniences. And of course, there will be some games where you need to have Kinect. So, is it "integral" or not? Depends on what you want to do. System will do more if it's plugged in, but if all you want is non-Kinect gaming, no voice switching of games and apps, no instant record features ... then you can use the system without it.
        He later clarified his statement, suggesting the now optional device was in fact "essential."

We *do* consider it to be integral to the system. Just because it can optionally be unplugged, doesn't mean it's not essential to the experience. In the same way that you and I agree a controller is "integral" to the system, but the machine can function without one.

"required to function" =/= "required for completeness of the experience"
        During a pre-release event in November focused on Kinect functionality in games, Microsoft's Phil Spencer reiterated the "all-in-one" focus of the box in light of the competition's lower price.

The all-in-one system that we built is really about building a box that can play a role in all forms of entertainment in the home. We understand value. We understand the consumer's decisions that they have to make when they're walking in the store. We think the all-in-one value proposition for Xbox One will be really strong.
        Following a price drop in the U.K. earlier this year, the value of the Kinect was once again called into question. Xbox U.K.'s Harvey Eagle told the BBC:

We're in it for the long haul. Kinect is absolutely integral to Xbox One.
        MUST READ

Microsoft listens: A Kinect-less Xbox One is the best weapon to fight Sony
        And now, just six months after the launch of both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Microsoft is ceding the Kinect, the latest victim of its muddled console strategy. The removal shaves $100 off the price of the console, finally matching Sony's better-selling PlayStation 4, but raises serious doubts about the future of the device, not to mention Microsoft's ability to navigate the competitive world of console gaming.

Today, Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi told us that despite its removal in a new lower-priced package, Kinect is still a "core component."

We remain deeply committed to the Kinect as a core component of a next-generation console. We think that the bio-metric sign-in, voice controls of the menu, ability to say 'record that' and capture a moment of gameplay are all critical to the experience.

We have never wavered from that since the launch.
        Additional reporting by Samit Sarkar
        Lulz.

And people wonder why I distrust and dislike this company so much.
        Last edited by Twigg4075; 05-22-2014, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• Handleit_44
          Posts a lot
          • Jun 2009

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400978257.794520.jpg

Xbox Store is redesigned in the new Xbox One June update

Comment

• Golden Taters
            RIP West
            • Jul 2009

That layout looks way better.

Comment

• Twigg4075
              Kindergarten Cop
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Handleit_44
              [ATTACH]2886[/ATTACH]

Xbox Store is redesigned in the new Xbox One June update
              That Xbox Fitness chick could get it so hard.

Comment

• Handleit_44
                Posts a lot
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                That Xbox Fitness chick could get it so hard.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                  Kindergarten Cop
                  • Feb 2009

For those that aren't aware, Games With Gold for Xbox One went live yesterday. You can download BOTH Max Curse of Brotherhood and Halo: Spartan Assault for the excellent price of free.

Who wants to co-op Halo?

Comment

• Handleit_44
                    Posts a lot
                    • Jun 2009

Comment

• dope
                      Allons-y!
                      • Feb 2009

i'm curious does anyone ever use the snap tv on their xbox one?

i could only really see it being used for sports, but even then in a fps i don't think my eyes would ever drift over to the tv window cause those games are such fast paced games.

plus why would i wanna give up screen space to just have something playing in the background

Comment

• Twigg4075
                        Kindergarten Cop
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dope

i could only really see it being used for sports, but even then in a fps i don't think my eyes would ever drift over to the tv window cause those games are such fast paced games.

plus why would i wanna give up screen space to just have something playing in the background
                        I don't use it but I can see situations where it would work decently. It really is only useful if you're playing a game and watching a show that don't require all of your attention (obviously). Like playing some PvZ and watching the NFL draft. Or CoD and a baseball game.
                        Last edited by Twigg4075; 06-06-2014, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                          Kindergarten Cop
                          • Feb 2009

Now that MS has added external hard drive support to the XBox One, these options are some of your best bets:

For nearly its entire lifespan as a console, Microsoft has made it exceptionally easy to add extra storage space to your Xbox One. And the best part is, you don’t have to buy any overpriced, Microsoft licensed gear to do it. So if your Xbox’s built-in storage overfloweth, here are our picks to get you started.

The Xbox One got an update on June 3rd which added, among other things, external storage. Unlike the Playstation 4's option to upgrade the console's internal storage that we covered previously, the Xbox One will be relying on external USB3 hard drives for expansion.P

Upgrade Your Playstation 4 (Or 3) With A Solid State Drive
                          The bad news is that the Playstation 4 does not support external hard drives. The good news is…
                          Read more
                          The Xbox One's SATA II internal storage supports 3GBit transfer speeds, which is slower than USB3, meaning that you'll be getting faster loading times by storing things on the external. That's a big win for One owners, who may have been disappointed they wouldn't be getting the loading time reductions Playstation 4 could enjoy by installing solid state drives. P

Which drive you want depends on a number of factors, including how much storage you want and whether you'll be using this drive for everything or just leaving it attached to your One (we recommend the latter).P

There are YouTube videos, forum posts, and Reddit threads like this one coming to similar consensuses about loading time increases if you'd like to read deeper into that.P

The DrivesP

1TB HGST Touro 7200rpm Portable External Hard DriveP

HGST Touro Mobile Pro 1TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive, Black (0S03…
                          Amazon.com: $93.12
                          Buy now
                          Your easiest, cheapest bet here is going to be a 1 or 2TB portable external. That's going to triple or quintuple your storage without adding an additional power cord. We like the 1TB HGST Touro because of its 7200rpm speed and its price tag. The 1TB Western Digital My Passport that won Lifehacker's Hive-Five is a great drive, but it runs at 5400rpms, and we're trying to cut loading times here.P

Five Best External Hard Drives
                          External hard drives are almost a commodity these days. They're cheap, come in multiple sizes, …
                          Read on lifehacker.​com
                          If you want to up the storage (you don't need it), then the WD My Book 4TB is the way to go, recommended in both the Lifehacker Hive-Five and by Wirecutter. The My Book is a very reliable, fast drive with a low price per terabyte.P

WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup
                          Amazon.com: $179.99
                          Buy now
                          WD My Book 4TB USB3 External Hard Drive with BackupP
                          Rolling Your Own1P

Your other option is grab an enclosure or docking station, like this one from Plugable (which is cool because it lays flat), and throw in a bare drive, whether it's one you buy for this purpose or one you happen to have laying around. You can even use an SSD with a setup like this, though you'll be seeing diminishing returns in loading times. This route can be cheaper if you really want that extra storage, and we like Western Digital's options for this purpose.P

Plugable USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station (Latest ASMedia…
                          Amazon.com: $25.00
                          Buy now
                          For a cheaper option, check out Seagate's offerings.P

Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal…
                          Amazon.com: $59.99
                          Buy nowM38 readers bought this
                          Plugable USB3 Lay-Flat Docking StationP
                          Western Digital 7200rpm bare drives in multiple sizesP
                          I need to pick one of these bad boys up.

Comment

• Steel Mamba
                            Nasty
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dope

I haven't used it for tv, but I used it for twitch. Basically the same thing.

Comment

• Handleit_44
                              Posts a lot
                              • Jun 2009

Comment

• Twigg4075
                                Kindergarten Cop
                                • Feb 2009

Oh yeah!

They may as well call that 'Twigg snap'.

I just realized that is quite the double entendre.

Comment

Working...