Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

I can not put my finger on The Lovely Bones as a film...I really want to like it, but then simply think I'm crazy for liking the film.

It is a very strange feeling I get watching the film. Tucci was great. However, it has some over the top stuff that didn't quite jive while watching the film.

It is also done by Peter Jackson, so I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but after my initial watch, my though was "a rare miss"...

Comment

• Bmore
      The True Free-Man
      • Oct 2008

The ending to the Lovely Bones is crazy. I was getting pissed cuz I thought Tucci was gonna get away scott free. Then he gets killed in the most peculiar and unthinkable way.

Comment

• calgaryballer
        Tiote!
        • Mar 2009

The Lovely Bones movie for me was ruined by my enjoyment of the book. Typically, I can view the two as seperate entities but I found that the changes they made for the movie were too drastic, rendering important plot points and character development in the book moot.

Obviously, this has to be done to fit it in to a 2 hr movie, but like the Time Travellers Wife, I think they could have handled the cutting process in a better way

Overall, its one of those movies were I enjoyed the performances, and I thought the visualization of heaven was as well done as possible, but the total experience was lacking

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

i watched grown ups the other night. thought u did a review on it but dont see it. i heard alot of bad things about it not being funny. I laughed all thru the movie and thought it was great...and i dont care for adam sandler at all but this one was worthy

Comment

• stevsta
            ¿Que?
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Maynard
            i watched grown ups the other night. thought u did a review on it but dont see it. i heard alot of bad things about it not being funny. I laughed all thru the movie and thought it was great...and i dont care for adam sandler at all but this one was worthy
            people are haters and didnt give it a chance

I had the same opinion as you it may not have been the greatest movie, but it was funny throughout
            RIP

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by calgaryballer
              The Lovely Bones movie for me was ruined by my enjoyment of the book. Typically, I can view the two as seperate entities but I found that the changes they made for the movie were too drastic, rendering important plot points and character development in the book moot.

Obviously, this has to be done to fit it in to a 2 hr movie, but like the Time Travellers Wife, I think they could have handled the cutting process in a better way

Overall, its one of those movies were I enjoyed the performances, and I thought the visualization of heaven was as well done as possible, but the total experience was lacking
              Terrible movie.

Comment

• Cody
                GOAAAAL
                • Jul 2010

I didn't think the Lovely bones was that good.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                  Tiote!
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Terrible movie.
                  Agreed. I was surprised how much I liked the book, but the movie adaptation ruined a lot of what made the book so good.

Comment

• dell71
                    Enter Sandman
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by calgaryballer

I didn't read the book but that sounds about right since "the book" is better than the movie at least 90% of the time.
                    Originally posted by Maynard
                    Haven't watched it, yet. I will soon, the wife wants to see it.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Dell, have you ever seen The Day of the Jackal?

Comment

• dell71
                        Enter Sandman
                        • Mar 2009

Not yet. Heard about it, need to check it out.

Comment

• dell71
                          Enter Sandman
                          • Mar 2009

The Killing
                          Directed by Stanley Kubrick.
                          1956. Not Rated, 89 minutes.
                          Cast:
                          Sterling Hayden
                          Elisha Cook Jr.
                          Marie Windsor
                          Vince Edwards
                          Ted de Corsia
                          Jay C. Flippen
                          Joe Sawyer
                          Colleen Gray

Fresh out of prison after a five year bid, Johnny (Hayden) very quickly tries to bring a master plan together. He and a couple guys who work there are going to rob the local racetrack right when its at its busiest. Also involved are a dirty cop and a couple random thugs Johnny from his time on the inside.

Aside from Johnny and the two hoods, the others aren’t really crooks but have been driven into criminal behavior by circumstance. The cop is in deep to a bookie and another guy has a sickly wife he desperately wants to take care of. The last guy, George (Cook Jr) is the one we focus on most. He’s married to Sherry (Windsor), a woman out of his league. He earned her hand based on the promise he was going to strike it rich. Five years later, her every word to him is a reminder he hasn’t and she can’t stand it any longer. He correctly suspects her of having an affair but lacks the spine to call her on it. Instead, he merely pleads with her not to “do anything stupid” while he’s out meeting with the boys. He also does something else that proves to be detrimental to the heist, but I’ve already said too much.

Written and directed by the legendary Stanley Kubrick, The Killing is a fascinating, yet rigid heist movie. The crime and the various subplots unfold nicely. The whole thing comes to a head with a “wow” ending. The rigidity comes from the fact that it’s shoe-horned into an hour and a half. Honestly, there could be an hour more to this movie. Instead of being shown everything, half the movie is read to us off the page by a narrator. He’s not exactly reciting beautiful poetry, either. We’re talking stodgy prose of the “At 3:32 PM, Johnny arrived at the hotel” variety.

Its flaws are the reason this is a movie I could actually like to see remade. The story is already excellent, yet there is much room for growth. The characters could be given more room to flourish and/or fail. As it is, it works fine. It’s even better than fine and hailed by some as a classic. I’m greedy. I want more.

MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Comment

• dell71
                            Enter Sandman
                            • Mar 2009

Splice
                            Directed by Vincenzo Natali.
                            Rated R, 100 minutes.
                            Cast:
                            Adrien Brody
                            Sarah Polley
                            Delphine Chanéac
                            Brandon McGibbon
                            Simona Maicanescu
                            David Hewlett
                            Abigail Chu

We all know those people who are academically brilliant but pretty much brain-dead in all other phases of life. Meet Elsa (Polley) and Clive (Brody), two such people. They work together in a genetic splicing lab and through some biological sleight of hand, have created two living, breathing blobs affectionately named Fred and Ginger. I’m sure their iconic namesakes are flattered, but whatever. The hope is that the key to curing many medical ailments lies within the genes of these creatures.

That’s all fine and dandy. However, there are some problems. The first is that, like Fred and Ginger, Elsa and Clive are a couple. This means when they leave the lab and/or decide to do anything requiring rational thought they are at more of a disadvantage than most of us. The idiocy of the other person is all they have to overcome or gain approval of with each of them secure in their belief that the other person is brilliant.

This leads to problem number two. Elsa rashly decides it is a good idea to introduce human DNA into the same cocktail they used to create Fred and Ginger, pretty much just because. After a fleeting moment of clarity passes, Clive agrees that just because is good enough and goes along with the program. They create a fetus they intend to watch and terminate before it reaches full term, again just because. Of course, full-term happens roughly overnight so they miss that boat. Out pops this thing that looks like a miniature T-rex with a rodent-like face and it’s pretty pissed off. After deciding it is too cute to kill, they settle on the idea of becoming its parents in order to observe and document things, even though they’re pretty sure what they’ve done will land them in jail if anyone finds out. So yeah, you guessed it, they’re doing it just because.

What “because” really is eventually becomes clear as mud as we watch the little creature develop. They name her Dren (Chanéac), nerd spelled backwards we’re made to understand. They also teach her lots of communication skills, since she’s clearly as intelligent as a human being but can’t talk. She also looks more and more human as the movie goes on. I mean, she still has four fingers on each hand and legs like a T-rex but the face changes dramatically. When you watch it, you’ll see this is important.

Here’s the thing: watching Dren grow up isn’t terribly exciting. We watch her learn how to get her point across using Scrabble letters, see or hear something she probably shouldn’t, get a little rebellious and get yelled at and sent to a corner. This goes on for roughly 85 minutes with occasional breaks for our loving couple to try and save their jobs due to a mishap involving Fred and Ginger.

During the last 15 minutes or so Dren is featured in two of the weirdest sex scenes ever, realizes she’s stronger than her captors…er…”parents” and involuntarily does something else to cause all hell to break loose. This raises the movie to the grand level of so-so. Honestly? I liked it better when it was called Species.

MY SCORE: 5/10

Comment

• NAHSTE
                              Probably owns the site
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dell71

The Killing
                              Directed by Stanley Kubrick.
                              1956. Not Rated, 89 minutes.
                              Cast:
                              Sterling Hayden
                              Elisha Cook Jr.
                              Marie Windsor
                              Vince Edwards
                              Ted de Corsia
                              Jay C. Flippen
                              Joe Sawyer
                              Colleen Gray

Fresh out of prison after a five year bid, Johnny (Hayden) very quickly tries to bring a master plan together. He and a couple guys who work there are going to rob the local racetrack right when its at its busiest. Also involved are a dirty cop and a couple random thugs Johnny from his time on the inside.

Aside from Johnny and the two hoods, the others aren’t really crooks but have been driven into criminal behavior by circumstance. The cop is in deep to a bookie and another guy has a sickly wife he desperately wants to take care of. The last guy, George (Cook Jr) is the one we focus on most. He’s married to Sherry (Windsor), a woman out of his league. He earned her hand based on the promise he was going to strike it rich. Five years later, her every word to him is a reminder he hasn’t and she can’t stand it any longer. He correctly suspects her of having an affair but lacks the spine to call her on it. Instead, he merely pleads with her not to “do anything stupid” while he’s out meeting with the boys. He also does something else that proves to be detrimental to the heist, but I’ve already said too much.

Written and directed by the legendary Stanley Kubrick, The Killing is a fascinating, yet rigid heist movie. The crime and the various subplots unfold nicely. The whole thing comes to a head with a “wow” ending. The rigidity comes from the fact that it’s shoe-horned into an hour and a half. Honestly, there could be an hour more to this movie. Instead of being shown everything, half the movie is read to us off the page by a narrator. He’s not exactly reciting beautiful poetry, either. We’re talking stodgy prose of the “At 3:32 PM, Johnny arrived at the hotel” variety.

Its flaws are the reason this is a movie I could actually like to see remade. The story is already excellent, yet there is much room for growth. The characters could be given more room to flourish and/or fail. As it is, it works fine. It’s even better than fine and hailed by some as a classic. I’m greedy. I want more.

MY SCORE: 7.5/10

This is on my Instant Queue. I hear it's one of Kubrick's best .

Comment

• dell71
                                Enter Sandman
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                                This is on my Instant Queue. I hear it's one of Kubrick's best .
                                I personally wouldn't say one of his best, but you're right - many do. I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

Comment

Working...