Jurgen Prochnow
    Herbert Gronemeyer
    Klaus Wennermann
    Hubertus Bengsch
    Martin Semmelrogge
    Bernd Tauber
    Erwin Leder
    Martin May

We follow the crew of a Nazi-German U-Boat (submarine, for those unaware) during World War II. This is largely a plotless movie far more concerned with getting to know this particular group of men. We come to know them quite well, actually. The film turns the seemingly impossible trick of creating empathy for men who fought as part of Hitler's war machine. It does this by focusing on their plight as a crew that gets jerked around by the higher-ups. They're stressed, overworked and under supplied and all the while, looking for their next target. It also helps there's no talk of Jews and the related atrocities and any hint of the arrogance we come to associate with Nazis is scoffed at. Even a number of the crew themselves, including ship's captain (Prochnow), aren't fully sold on Hitler as a great leader.

When one thinks of cinematography, he usually thinks of beautiful wide-open exteriors that resemble picturesque landscape paintings. Here, it's the exact opposite worked to perfection. Through many shots of the ships claustrophobia inducing interior, and the fact we spend about 95% of our three and a half hours there, we feel how tightly packed the men are and develop cabin fever right along with them. Still, it never forgets it's a war picture and gives us some really tense combat scenes without us actually seeing much of what's going on outside the ship. Well, we don't see much until the action of the heart-wrenching finale. It isn't until then we realize how vested we've become in the lives of these men. If you call yourself a war movie buff, this is a must-see. Just make sure you have a large chunk of day carved out for it's perusal.

MY SCORE: 10/10
    which version you watch, i own the 209 minute version, but this movie is so good i would love to watch the 293 minute version

Comment

• dell71
      Enter Sandman
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
      which version you watch, i own the 209 minute version, but this movie is so good i would love to watch the 293 minute version
      The 209. I haven't come across the 293 min. version anywhere. There's also 149 min. version that ran in U.S. theaters. Without ever having seen it, it sounds like a hack job if, for no other reason, than an hour is lopped off - and past history dictates that all the action scenes were probably kept.

Comment

• JayDizzle
        Let's Go All The Way...
        • Nov 2008

I wonder why this thread hasn't been stickied yet.

Comment

• wingsfan77
          • Aug 2009

Just watched Zombieland, and while I was fairly entertained, I wish there was more to it. The run time was about 1 hour 22 minutes, they definitely could've fleshed that out, more zombie killing would have been nice. Also, Emma Stone looked a lot sexier in this than in Superbad. Which should I Netflix next, 500 Days Of Summer or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Comment

• NAHSTE
            Probably owns the site
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wingsfan77
            Just watched Zombieland, and while I was fairly entertained, I wish there was more to it. The run time was about 1 hour 22 minutes, they definitely could've fleshed that out, more zombie killing would have been nice. Also, Emma Stone looked a lot sexier in this than in Superbad. Which should I Netflix next, 500 Days Of Summer or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?
            500 days of summer is pretty solid. I liked it but if you're just watching by yourself you might think it's pointless. I watched it with my girl twice and we both liked it, very nice style but it's not for everyone.

Comment

• dell71
              Enter Sandman
              • Mar 2009

Yeah, Nahste's right...500 Days is more of a chick flick - save it for movie night with the lady. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is much more guy flick - very nice dark comedy.

Comment

• A Tasty Burgerr
                ▄█▀ █▬█ █ ▀█▀
                • Oct 2008

Have you seen Moon? I rented it and it seems like the kind of movie I will either really like or hate.

Comment

• Tailback U
                  No substitute 4 strength.
                  • Nov 2008

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a great film.

500 Days of Summer was extremely overrated, in my opinion. Shit carried on and on and on. Definitely a chick flick. It tries to be artsy and different but it was just boring to me. I was very disappointed. Would never watch twice. That said, worth watching at least once, especially if you have a lady friend (even though my gf thought it was pretty meh as well).

On the other hand, I've seen KKBB about 5 times and think quite highly of it.

Comment

• Palooza
                    Au Revoir, Shoshanna
                    • Feb 2009

just an fyi - the Proposition is going to be on IFC at 12 am EST.

Comment

• Tailback U
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Palooza
                      just an fyi - the Proposition is going to be on IFC at 12 am EST.
                      what is IFC?

i own it. if IFC censors film then i wouldn't recommend watching it, they might edit out some of the shooting scenes, which would be really lame.

also - if you're not a fan of westerns don't expect too much. i love it and have hyped it up a bit, but i'm sure a lot of people think it's slow.

also also - hijacking dell's review thread ftw.

Comment

• Palooza
                        Au Revoir, Shoshanna
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Tailback U
                        what is IFC?

i own it. if IFC censors film then i wouldn't recommend watching it, they might edit out some of the shooting scenes, which would be really lame.

also - if you're not a fan of westerns don't expect too much. i love it and have hyped it up a bit, but i'm sure a lot of people think it's slow.

also also - hijacking dell's review thread ftw.
                        Independent Film Channel.

You've really never heard of it? One of my favorite channels. It shows everything and has a great range of movies and a lot of shit I've never heard of. Arrested Development re-runs FTW, too.

And sidenote: I've seen it already. I went a little gay for Guy Pearce and saw 90% of his movies after I bought Memento a year or two ago.
                        Last edited by Palooza; 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Tailback U
                          • Nov 2008

Independent Film Channel.

You've really never heard of it? One of my favorite channels. It shows everything and has a great range of movies and a lot of shit I've never heard of. Arrested Development re-runs FTW, too.

And sidenote: I've seen it already. I went a little gay for Guy Pearce and saw 90% of his movies after I bought Memento a year or two ago.
                          I've never heard of it or seen it. I don't think I get it. I have Dish Network - basic channel package. I don't even know if they offer it.

Ah, ok. Guy Pearce is really dreamy.

Comment

• Palooza
                            Au Revoir, Shoshanna
                            • Feb 2009

I've never heard of it or seen it. I don't think I get it. I have Dish Network - basic channel package. I don't even know if they offer it.

Ah, ok. Guy Pearce is really dreamy.
                            try channel 131.

Comment

• Tailback U
                              • Nov 2008

try channel 131.

Ah, they offer it, but I don't have it. Awesome, will have to look into getting it.

Have you seen First Snow or Ravenous(Guy Pearce)? I think I rented First Snow once and tried to watch it but couldn't get into it. I don't remember a single thing about it, though, so I could be thinking of something else.
                              Last edited by Tailback U; 02-15-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Palooza
                                Au Revoir, Shoshanna
                                • Feb 2009

Ah, they offer it, but I don't have it. Awesome, will have to look into getting it.

Have you seen First Snow (Guy Pearce)? I think I rented it and tried to watch it once but couldn't get into it. I don't remember a single thing about it, though, so I could be thinking of something else.
                                No, I haven't but I know what you're talking about. It is buried on my netflix queue. Might have to bring it to the top.

Comment

Working...