Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Houston
    Back home
    • Oct 2008

Have you seen the newest Count of Monte Cristo? That's in my top 5 movies of all time, I'm gonna watch the original as soon as I find it 0_0.

Comment

• Senser81
      VSN Poster of the Year
      • Feb 2009

dell71, my wife is a big Cher fan so I was forced to watch "Tea with Mussolini" recently. I am eagerly awaiting your review.

Comment

• dell71
        Enter Sandman
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Houston
        Have you seen the newest Count of Monte Cristo? That's in my top 5 movies of all time, I'm gonna watch the original as soon as I find it 0_0.
        Originally posted by Senser81
        dell71, my wife is a big Cher fan so I was forced to watch "Tea with Mussolini" recently. I am eagerly awaiting your review.
        I can honestly say that neither of these is on my radar. At one time, I wanted to see The Count of Monte Cristo, just never got around to it. Maybe I still will. As far Tea with Mussolini goes...I had forgotten it even existed, much less watched it. Since you say you were "forced" to watch it, you'll have to excuse me for not rushing it to the top of "to watch" list.

Comment

• Senser81
          VSN Poster of the Year
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dell71
          I can honestly say that neither of these is on my radar. At one time, I wanted to see The Count of Monte Cristo, just never got around to it. Maybe I still will. As far Tea with Mussolini goes...I had forgotten it even existed, much less watched it. Since you say you were "forced" to watch it, you'll have to excuse me for not rushing it to the top of "to watch" list.
          I have lost all respect for you as a movie reviewer.

I'm still expecting your review of "Tea with Mussolini" by 2300 hours.

Comment

• Houston
            Back home
            • Oct 2008

Tough crowd

Comment

• Buzzman
              • Oct 2008

Count fo Monte Crsico is the film that got the Count cast as Jesus Christ in Mel Gibsons movie.

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Buzzman
                Count fo Monte Crsico is the film that got the Count cast as Jesus Christ in Mel Gibsons movie.
                The Count>Jesus

It's my favorite story about revenge.

Comment

• Fox1994
                  Posts too much
                  • Dec 2008

Just start downloading shit off

Pirate Bay
                  . Be easier than going to Blockbuster/Netflix.

Comment

• dope
                    Allons-y!
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Buzzman
                    Dell you think you could give your interpretation of the ending of A Serious Man? and why Arther was in the bathroom so much, i saw the pump thing but didnt know what it was.
                    he had a cyst on the back of his neck that he kept draining and draining yet could never get rid of. it plays as a metaphor as to his relationship with his brother larry. no matter what larry does he can not rid himself of the problems arthur causes.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                      Let's Go All The Way...
                      • Nov 2008

If you're a Scorsese completist, I'd recommend Shutter Island Dell.

Comment

• dell71
                        Enter Sandman
                        • Mar 2009

Whatever Works
                        Directed by Woody Allen.
                        2009. Rated PG-13, 92 minutes.
                        Cast:
                        Larry David
                        Evan Rachel Wood
                        Patricia Clarkson
                        Ed Begley, Jr.
                        Conleth Hill
                        Michael McKean
                        Henry Cavill

Plot: Old, pessimistic genius and New York native Boris Yellnikoff (David) meets young, impressionable airhead, country-girl-in-the-big-city Melody (Wood).

The Good: It sticks to the tried and true Woody Allen formula, stylistically. Boris talks almost incessantly, rambling about this or that, often directly to the audience. He often acknowledges us and even tells other characters about us. It's an interesting twist. In the course of his many diatribes, there are some sharp, funny criticisms and observations of society. However, instead of Allen himself playing the lead role, it's Larry David of Curb Your Enthusiasm fame. This works as the persona fits him perfectly. His performance is wonderful, never coming off like a Woody impersonator. Instead, he makes the character his own. Nearly stealing the show is Patricia Clarkson as Melody's mom. Her character grows more "worldly" as the movie progresses and Clarkson makes the transition naturally.

The Bad: Plenty of Allen's protagonists have been quirky and cynical. However, they usually possess an amiability, even a cute patheticness that endears them to both the women they love and the audience. Boris, on the other hand, has a thoroughly nasty demeanor and abrasive arrogance. Though smart may he be, this makes his ravings tiresome. He's not only unlikeable to us, we can't even fathom why Melody takes to him the way she does. She seems to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome rather than actually falling in love with him. Then there's the constant anti-religious vibe hanging over everything. It's going to turn some people off, at first. Then, it'll turn many more off as that turns into full-blown atheism. Even more will be driven away simply because Boris seems obsessed with the idea and won't stop talking about it. Maybe if he were a little nicer the movie could get away with it, slide by with a wink and a nod. Instead, this eventually feels like an all-out attack on the very notion of God. Though uncomfortable for many, atheism is a legitimate school of thought, like it or not. Delivered a certain way, it might not change anyone's mind, but a palatable movie could be made. Spewed forth in a never-ending series of venomous barbs, it's just as overbearing and off-putting as those who try to repeatedly beat us over the head with their pro-religious beliefs. Subtle, this is not.

The Ugly: The band Melody goes to see. The name? Anal Sphincter.

Recommendation: If you're a devout Woody Allen follower or fan of Larry David or if cynicism gives you joy, take a look for yourself then come back and tell me I'm wrong. It's okay, I already know that's what you'll do. If you're not already a fan of his, I doubt this movie will convert you.

The Opposite View: Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer

What the Internet Says: 7.3/10 on imdb.com (2/24/10), 47% on rottentomatoes.com, 45/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 5/10

Comment

• FedEx227
                          Delivers
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                          Network was a great movie thats basically forgotten. The movie foresaw a lot of what would eventually happen with television in general and the news in particular.
                          The Truman Show as well. Granted it wasn't too far in the future, but we're arguably at or near that point with reality TV.
                          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• wingsfan77
                            • Aug 2009

Can't find your review of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang since it's not on the front page, I just watched it and thought it was REALLY good, definitely one that I'll add to my collection at some point

Comment

• dell71
                              Enter Sandman
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by wingsfan77
                              Can't find your review of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang since it's not on the front page, I just watched it and thought it was REALLY good, definitely one that I'll add to my collection at some point
                              Didn't do one here and can't find the one I did when I watched it, but yes - I enjoyed it very much.

Comment

• nflman2033
                                George Brett of VSN
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by dell71

Whatever Works
                                Directed by Woody Allen.
                                2009. Rated PG-13, 92 minutes.
                                Cast:
                                Larry David
                                Evan Rachel Wood
                                Patricia Clarkson
                                Ed Begley, Jr.
                                Conleth Hill
                                Michael McKean
                                Henry Cavill

Plot: Old, pessimistic genius and New York native Boris Yellnikoff (David) meets young, impressionable airhead, country-girl-in-the-big-city Melody (Wood).

The Good: It sticks to the tried and true Woody Allen formula, stylistically. Boris talks almost incessantly, rambling about this or that, often directly to the audience. He often acknowledges us and even tells other characters about us. It's an interesting twist. In the course of his many diatribes, there are some sharp, funny criticisms and observations of society. However, instead of Allen himself playing the lead role, it's Larry David of Curb Your Enthusiasm fame. This works as the persona fits him perfectly. His performance is wonderful, never coming off like a Woody impersonator. Instead, he makes the character his own. Nearly stealing the show is Patricia Clarkson as Melody's mom. Her character grows more "worldly" as the movie progresses and Clarkson makes the transition naturally.

The Bad: Plenty of Allen's protagonists have been quirky and cynical. However, they usually possess an amiability, even a cute patheticness that endears them to both the women they love and the audience. Boris, on the other hand, has a thoroughly nasty demeanor and abrasive arrogance. Though smart may he be, this makes his ravings tiresome. He's not only unlikeable to us, we can't even fathom why Melody takes to him the way she does. She seems to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome rather than actually falling in love with him. Then there's the constant anti-religious vibe hanging over everything. It's going to turn some people off, at first. Then, it'll turn many more off as that turns into full-blown atheism. Even more will be driven away simply because Boris seems obsessed with the idea and won't stop talking about it. Maybe if he were a little nicer the movie could get away with it, slide by with a wink and a nod. Instead, this eventually feels like an all-out attack on the very notion of God. Though uncomfortable for many, atheism is a legitimate school of thought, like it or not. Delivered a certain way, it might not change anyone's mind, but a palatable movie could be made. Spewed forth in a never-ending series of venomous barbs, it's just as overbearing and off-putting as those who try to repeatedly beat us over the head with their pro-religious beliefs. Subtle, this is not.

The Ugly: The band Melody goes to see. The name? Anal Sphincter.

Recommendation: If you're a devout Woody Allen follower or fan of Larry David or if cynicism gives you joy, take a look for yourself then come back and tell me I'm wrong. It's okay, I already know that's what you'll do. If you're not already a fan of his, I doubt this movie will convert you.

The Opposite View: Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer

What the Internet Says: 7.3/10 on imdb.com (2/24/10), 47% on rottentomatoes.com, 45/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 5/10
                                man maybe Woody just isn't for you, i loved it

Comment

Working...