Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

BREAKING: Nationals acquire OF Jonny Gomes from Reds for OF Bill Rhinehart and LHP Chris Manno.

Just adding who the prospects were

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
      Well we're going to find out, because Gomes is gone and Alonso is being called up to presumably take some of the LF AB's.

sidenote-and c'mon larry, lol @ not going off scouting reports when you've never laid eyes on the guy playing OF. You're better than that.
      A) I've actually seen Alonso play a LOT. Not as a minor leaguer, but I've seen most, if not all of his college career. I've seen him take flies in practice, but moreso...baseball, a spot where everything you do as a statistic...I go off what the numbers tell me. The numbers say, he hasn't "been terrible"...I don't need a random scouting report to tell me he's not natural in the OF. No shit.

B) Left Field + Defense? Who cares? Plug in a bat and its all good for me, I'll live with the less than stellar defense. I mean, would you pull Lance Berkman? No. You just find a place for him to fuckin play so he can hit.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by cpollack09
        BREAKING: Nationals acquire OF Jonny Gomes from Reds for OF Bill Rhinehart and LHP Chris Manno.

Just adding who the prospects were

I have no idea how these guys are regarded, but they have good numbers.

I would assume they aren't considered big prospects.

Comment

• Chrispy
          Needs a hobby
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MVPete1982
          Why?
          Why what?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Why?
            Gomes is a FA, maybe the Nats are looking for the compensation that comes along with it. I can't imagine he is an "A" level guy, but i'm not sure how that works.

Seems pretty pointless, idk. They have both of the Reds LF's from a year ago now, the other being L. Nix.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

The Rockies have asked the Reds about Homer Bailey, tweets Troy E. Renck of the Denver Post. Earlier, Renck wrote that "chances remain slim" of a Jimenez trade. He said the Rockies "continue to listen and negotiate with multiple teams regarding Jimenez, with the Reds receiving the most attention," but in general Colorado's demands are so high that no team is expected to bite. Renck said the Rockies have asked the Reds for Devin Mesoraco, Aroldis Chapman, and Chris Heisey, among others. In an email exchange with MLBTR, Renck clarified that the Rockies asked for Mesoraco and Chapman together while Heisey is simply another name that has come up in talks. Both Mesoraco and Chapman appear to be untouchable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First bold - yeah, no shit.

Second bold - The Rockies aren't quite as delusional as I thought, but still delusional.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Gomes earns $1.75MM this year and will hit free agency after the season. Since he currently projects as a Type B free agent, the Nationals could obtain a supplementary draft pick for him by offering arbitration. However, there's no guarantee that Gomes, a two-time non-tender, will receive an arbitration offer.

Manno was a 26th round pick for Washington in last year's draft. He has a 1.47 ERA with 14.4 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9 in 61 1/3 innings as a professional. The 22-year-old, who has yet to pitch above Class A, has worked exclusively in relief.

Rhinehart, 26, is in his fifth season as a professional. He has a .283/.376/.587 line with 21 homers at Double-A, a level he first appeared at in 2008. Rhinehart, who reached Triple-A last year, has a .261/.331/.458 line in his pro career.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know anything about this guy? I was expecting a couple of jabroni's for a guy like Gomes.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                  Probably owns the site
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  You're an idiot.

He's played fine in the OF. Not overly rangy, but he's been just fine.

Find me one error he's made in the OF. Find me something that shows he's "been terrible" playing the OF.

Go.

Errors are your chosen metric? They're always a terrible gauge, but especially for an outfielder. Hard to make an error when you have 0 range. Also you have to really suck at baseball to not be able to catch a fly ball, so I'm not how not making errors correlates to your ability to play the outfield.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

On second thought I'm glad we aren't trading upton to them now for Ian Desmond lol. Rays wanted Clippard or Storen and Desmond for Upton. I'd rather give upton 1 more year to figure out how to be more disciplined at the plate. Desmond could turn out to be good, but even the Nats want to move espinosa to SS and bring up another 2B/SS because of how bad Desmond has been at the dish.
                    Storen and Clippard are legit, A+ studs and have proven it on the major league level.

Why trade them for a middling outfielder?

Desmond...he's ok. He's kind of like the Upton of short stops.

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

People understand that there is more to trading top prospects than "what is the chance he'll be better than the guy we're trading for"...right? It's very easy to say "oh Ubaldo would be much better for them right now than an unknown prospect" now and from the interwebs, but tell that to the GM that loses his job because 3 years from now one is a stud on another team and the other still only had one good half of a season. That, and the other aspect is that if you're going to sell your top prospects, better to sell them for the best value. It's why I don't, for example, want to see the Phillies trade a potential bright prospect for a dude that will only play for half of a season. And why I wouldn't give up my best chips for a guy like Ubaldo.

Comment

• Rudi
                        #CyCueto
                        • Nov 2008

Guess we're gunna figure out what Alonso is all about

Comment

• StealthShot
                          Eat it
                          • Oct 2008

Blue Jays interested in Ulbaldo.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                            People understand that there is more to trading top prospects than "what is the chance he'll be better than the guy we're trading for"...right? It's very easy to say "oh Ubaldo would be much better for them right now than an unknown prospect" now and from the interwebs, but tell that to the GM that loses his job because 3 years from now one is a stud on another team and the other still only had one good half of a season. That, and the other aspect is that if you're going to sell your top prospects, better to sell them for the best value. It's why I don't, for example, want to see the Phillies trade a potential bright prospect for a dude that will only play for half of a season. And why I wouldn't give up my best chips for a guy like Ubaldo.
                            Not only that, the Rockies are also asking for young, known commodities that are already on the big league team like Chapman, Heisey, and Bailey.

Their demands are overtly outrageous. I don't think a veteran baseball man like Walt Jocketty is going to panic into some bullshit move like that.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              Highwayman
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE

Errors are your chosen metric? They're always a terrible gauge, but especially for an outfielder. Hard to make an error when you have 0 range. Also you have to really suck at baseball to not be able to catch a fly ball, so I'm not how not making errors correlates to your ability to play the outfield.
                              Errors, F%, whatever metric you want to look into, any number you got to show that he's "been terrible".

Go ahead. I'll wait. Keep in mind, he's a fuckin left fielder...your range needed there is minimal.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                                Errors, F%, whatever metric you want to look into, any number you got to show that he's "been terrible".

Go ahead. I'll wait. Keep in mind, he's a fuckin left fielder...your range needed there is minimal.
                                Here you go, you don't have to wait long.

His RF/G in LF is sitting at 1.47 this year.

That's abysmal. For perspective, the league leader in LF usually sits around 2.20 or so. The NL average this year is 1.90. 1.47 would put him dead last nearly every single season in NL for regulars.

I don't know why you are fighting this fight. The scouts say he stinks, the numbers say he stinks. The guy is not a good LF.

For comparison, here are some other shitty LF's career RF/G:

Jonny Gomes: 1.57
                                Adam Dunn: 1.80
                                Raul Ibanez: 1.79
                                Cliff Floyd: 1.74

He's terrible.

Comment

Working...