X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwfisch
    No longer a noob
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by NAHSTE
    I didn't realize there was one single stat that was going to be perfect ... I always used a combination of stats to provide a clear picture.

WAR is a very useful big picture metric, but nobody thinks it's the ONLY or BEST way to evaluate.
    This.

Comment

• NAHSTE
      Probably owns the site
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
      I wouldn't say BEST but I don't think it's exactly a bad statement. It's always about a collection of stats.
      Yeah that was not a bad statement. Does not qualify for this thread because WAR is definitely useful.

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

WAR blows.

I remember SC this year after the Cards signed Beltran trying to spin how they mightnot miss Pujols since Beltran and Pujols had similar WAR's last season.

WAR IMO is built on subjective metrics that ignore massive amounts of context.

I guess use it as a tool or whatever but saying it's the "best" way to evaluate players is idotic.

It drives me insane when I see people evaluating offseasons by trying to add up the WAR's of the players they lost and gained to see how they will do compared to last season.

I guess WAR is "useful" but rather than having all of it rolled into one I'd rather build a better picture off each individual stat or metric. WAR tried to tie them all together and relies WAY to heavily at times on God awful fielding metrics.

Comment

• nwfisch
          No longer a noob
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by NAHSTE
          Yeah that was not a bad statement. Does not qualify for this thread because WAR is definitely useful.

It's not to used as the only metric in evaluating a player, and as an end-all, be-all in an argument.

It's a nice metric, but what exactly is a replacement level player?

Comment

• FedEx227
            Delivers
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
            WAR blows.

I remember SC this year after the Cards signed Beltran trying to spin how they mightnot miss Pujols since Beltran and Pujols had similar WAR's last season.

WAR IMO is built on subjective metrics that ignore massive amounts of context.

I guess use it as a tool or whatever but saying it's the "best" way to evaluate players is idotic.

It drives me insane when I see people evaluating offseasons by trying to add up the WAR's of the players they lost and gained to see how they will do compared to last season.

I guess WAR is "useful" but rather than having all of it rolled into one I'd rather build a better picture off each individual stat or metric. WAR tried to tie them all together and relies WAY to heavily at times on God awful fielding metrics.
            Well anyone who does that is retarded. That's not how it's suppose to be used.
            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by sunbiz1
              People get so caught up in this.

80% of the league average, in terms of runs per out.

Catchers at 75% of the league average.
              First basemen and designated hitters 85%
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

It's not to used as the only metric in evaluating a player, and as an end-all, be-all in an argument.

Ian Desmond.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Comment

• Goober
                    Needs a hobby
                    • Feb 2009

Basically anything Mitch Williams says on MLB Network.

The other day he said, "Starting pitchers wouldn't be nearly as good if they didn't have a great closer behind them."

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Goblinslayer
                      Basically anything Mitch Williams says on MLB Network.

The other day he said, "Starting pitchers wouldn't be nearly as good if they didn't have a great closer behind them."

Well duh, obviously Ivan Nova is better than Felix Hernandez, and he owes it all to Mo.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X37EzJnuntk&feature=related"]ball champions - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

Mitch Williams really is terrible.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

The Cubs are as popular as they are because of the losing. I think the franchise winning a championship would actually have a negative overall affect on the team.

Comment

• Villain
                              [REDACTED]
                              • May 2011

"The Cubs are as popular as they are because of the losing. I think the franchise winning a championship would actually have a negative overall affect on the team."

Who said that one?
                              [REDACTED]

Comment

• Goober
                                Needs a hobby
                                • Feb 2009

Listening to the Baseball Today podcast, an emailer asked, "what pitcher has the best chance of striking out 27 in a game?"

Mark Simon's response, "Well, I asked our intern Rachel and she said, "maybe Jamie Moyer." I think that would be so cool!"

Dur dur duuur

dur

dur

dur dur dur

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Comment

Working...