X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MVPete
    Old School
    • Mar 2008

Trade Deadline Random Thoughts/Rumors

Got a little less than 6 days left. Throw anything in here you would like to see your team do or not do, or any rumors you come across. If something goes down give the trade it's own thread, and keep it out of here.
  • Matt
    No longer a noob
    • Jun 2012

Chicago Cubs right-hander Matt Garza and Seattle Mariners lefty Jason Vargas are two names Stark mentions for the Orioles, and the likes of Joe Blanton, Francisco Liriano and perhaps Shaun Marcum could be of interest.

Comment

• MVPete
      Old School
      • Mar 2008

For the Rays I'm seeing all sorts of weird rumors of what they might do.

-Apparently every one of their right handed starters is available, and teams are also inquiring about Wade Davis. Davis was a starter last year and his numbers have been real impress so far this year out of the pen.

-BJ Upton is most likely available, as they can move Jennings to center and use Zobrist/Joyce/Fuld etc. at the corners. One rumor was BJ Upton for Morse, but they would most likely have to include Davis to make that happen as Morse has been hitting well, and Bernadina as well. Davis would help fill the gap when Strasburg is shut down.

-This Shields to the Angels rumor still lingers, and now Ervin Santana might get sent back to Tampa in the deal.
      @MikeDiGiovanna "Change of pitching plans for #Angels: Santana will not start Friday vs. #Rays so he can get some power bullpen sessions in."

Not sure what that means, but Tampa will be in Anaheim this week. Maybe they will watch him throw and make a decision? I'd be surprised if they took him, but they might try and fix him and flip him in the off season.

-For the Marlins I've been hearing Josh Johnson to Texas for Mike Olt and more. You know Ryan loves those power pitchers and Johnson's shoulder is slowly getting it's strength back. I'd really hate to see JJ leave because he reminded me of Beckett right after he left, but this would help them get their left side set for awhile.

Comment

• Goober
        Needs a hobby
        • Feb 2009

If the Brewers can't sign Greinke, then Hart, Rodriguez, Ramirez, Loe, Parra, and Wolf all need to go too.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Well, the Mets are fucked. Would not be surprised to see them deal Daniel Murphy, Tim Byrdak or Scott Hairston (the latter two are free agents at the end of the year).

Murphy should be able to bring them a good reliever back.

Comment

• Slateman
            • Apr 2009

The Nationals need to seriously look in to upgrading the catcher position. Flores is woeful with the bat and Leon isn't ready. Jaso would be nice. Not sure who else would be available
            The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
            As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
            If only I had died instead of you
            O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• MVPete
              Old School
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Slateman
              The Nationals need to seriously look in to upgrading the catcher position. Flores is woeful with the bat and Leon isn't ready. Jaso would be nice. Not sure who else would be available
              Jaso can't hit lefties, and Flores has trouble vs them as well for some reason(as a righty? ). If they can find a seasoned backup to rotate with Flores it may pay off in the final month. Werth is back soon so the main focus should be a starter who can take Strasburg's spot once he's shut down.

Comment

• Slateman
                • Apr 2009

I'll take being able to hit righties vs. Not being able to hit anyone.

Maybe one of the Brewers catchers?

Fuck it. Just put Hapah behind the dish.

Comment

• MVPete
                  Old School
                  • Mar 2008

Ramon Hernandez, Nick Hundley I'm sure would be available. Basically any team that is out of it would listen to offers for guys that they won't back next year.

Comment

• Slateman
                    • Apr 2009

They'll work too. Honestly whoever will take Henry Rodriguez in trade for a catcher will work.

Comment

• Goober
                      Needs a hobby
                      • Feb 2009

George Kottaras designated for assignment today, Brewers trying to find him a spot on a major league team.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by MVPete
                        Ramon Hernandez, Nick Hundley I'm sure would be available. Basically any team that is out of it would listen to offers for guys that they won't back next year.
                        Razor Ramon is actually signed for 2013, which is why COL has had some trouble finding him a landing spot.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                          War Hero
                          • Dec 2009

Umm no need to trade for a catcher. We get Wilson Ramos back next year. This team doesn't need offense behind the plate. They just need someone who can handle the stud pitchers.

Comment

• MVPete
                            Old School
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                            Umm no need to trade for a catcher. We get Wilson Ramos back next year. This team doesn't need offense behind the plate. They just need someone who can handle the stud pitchers.
                            Slateman is under the impression that you need an All star at every position to compete. He's still mad they didn't sign Prince Fielder.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Matt
                              [/FONT][/COLOR]
                              Liriano looks like a strong possibility. Only thing is that any deal the Orioles make, I want them to make it not just for this year, but beyond. So both Vargas and Garza would be strong possibilities.

The problem for the Orioles is that they don't want to give up Bundy or Machado. Their only recourse is to find someone like Hanley Ramirez, who is struggling and has a high salary, and for the Orioles to take on the money and send minimal prospects over to the other team. This just proves how much work the Orioles still have to do in the minor league system and continue building their depth.

Comment

Working...