X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

New York Knicks 2013-14 Season Thread

66 games beginning on Christmas against those evil old dudes from Boston…

Although not official, it's been rumored for some time that the cap # this season would be just over $58 million and the tax threshold at over $70 million (similar to last year) with NO HARD CAP. Here's how the Knicks stand entering free agency next month…

$60.6 million for 9 players
    Melo ($18.5), Amare ($18.2), Chauncey ($14.2), Turiaf ($4.3), Douglas ($1.1), Walker ($.9), Rautins ($.7) and Fields ($.7) PLUS Renaldo Balkman at $1.6.

Derrick Brown is a RFA with a $1M qualifying offer.

Expect the team to use the amnesty clause to cut Balkman without being on the hook for his money.

Add in first round pick PG Shumpert and 2nd round pick C Harrell and they have little money to spend. Actually, they'll be over the cap anyway so they will need to fill out the roster with MLE's and minimum offers.

------
    Much like before last season, a lot of the hype will be on the team being in a position next summer to sign either Dwight Howard or Chris Paul.

The only players they have signed for next season include Melo, Amare and a team option for Douglas (assuming they cut Balkman).

-------

Even with a short training camp, is it safe to say expectations for this team will be ONE PLAYOFF SERIES WIN and anything more is butter?

• Juggernaut
    Sitting on the Sidelines
    • Dec 2008

With the Jets playing meh lately, I've been wishing for the Knicks to come back for a while now. So happy the NBA is back.

Can't remember last time I was excited for a season to begin, I really want to see how Melo and Amar'e do this year. Hopefully we'll have less injuries this year.

Comment

• Rayman
      Spic 'n Spanish
      • Feb 2009

First there was the Lebron Watch

Then, the Melo-Drama.

The next saga, behold!

The Chase for Chris Paul!

(I'm open to better names )

Comment

• IamMedellin
        Everything Burns...
        • Nov 2008

any word on Amare?...has his back healed yet?

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by IamMedellin
          any word on Amare?...has his back healed yet?
          I don't think it's 100%. I'm expecting it to be an issue throughout the season but as to how serious it may be, who knows.

Comment

• EmpireWF
            Giants in the Super Bowl
            • Mar 2009

Chris Broussard tweets...

Chris Paul's first choice is to play for the Knicks, sources say. He's willing to wait & sign w/NYK as free agent next summer.

CP3 would also consider signing extension w/LA Clippers. But Clips' 1st choice is Dwight Howard, sources say....

Comment

• jeffx
              • Jun 2009

Not taking the Knicks seriously until I see a committment to defense, and that goes for Amar'e & Carmelo. Look at the Heat and Celtics - their stars make the effort on 'D', why can't our guys do it?

Comment

• Chrispy
                Needs a hobby
                • Dec 2008

NEW YORK KNICKS - The New CBA

How it helps: The league didn't get the franchise tag that small-market teams wanted, so Knicks fans can take a major sigh of relief -- New York can still raid the rosters of the poor and get away with it. The new trade and free-agent rules may give Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Dwight Howard pause about leaving, but they're not draconian enough to stop them if they really want to play in New York.

How it hurts: The Knicks used an extend-and-trade to get Carmelo Anthony in the fold. The new CBA severely curtails the ability of teams to do the same in the future. The Knicks used a sign-and-trade to land Amare Stoudemire. Sign-and-trades are also less likely under the new arrangement.

The Knicks will also be affected by the league's new revenue-sharing program. While the details are a little fuzzy, it's clear the Knicks and Lakers will be giving up a significant chunk of their profits to small-market teams.

Immediate impact (this season): The bottom line for the Knicks? They really need to work a deal to get either Howard, Paul or Williams by Dec. 31.

They don't have the cap space to hand out a max contract next summer, so if one of them wants to play in New York, he would have to take a significant pay cut and fewer guaranteed years in free agency. If anything, the urgency to pressure New Orleans, New Jersey or Orlando into a deal now has increased.

Long-term impact (future seasons): If the Knicks land another star, it's going to be much more difficult to add talent around them. And if they become a luxury-tax payer again, the cost of doing business will become much higher. Then again, with ticket prices in New York rising about 49 percent this year, they clearly will have the ability to finance such a team.

Comment

• Rayman
                  Spic 'n Spanish
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jeffx
                  Not taking the Knicks seriously until I see a committment to defense, and that goes for Amar'e & Carmelo. Look at the Heat and Celtics - their stars make the effort on 'D', why can't our guys do it?
                  Hopefully Woodson makes a difference there.

Comment

• ralaw
                    Posts too much
                    • Feb 2009

Woodson can't coach desire and effort. Hopefully Melo and Amare have learned something, but I doubt it.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                      Giants in the Super Bowl
                      • Mar 2009

I have no clue what the Knicks have to trade that's desirable for one of the superstars. Landry Fields is in his walk year as is Billups with his expiring deal...that's about it.

In terms of draft picks…

-No picks in 2012 (unless they have a top 5 first rounder or a top 55 second rounder).
                      -2013 1st rounder and 2nd rounder
                      -2014 2nd rounder from Sacramento (top 55 protected)

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

The Knicks Blog says Jared Jeffries will be back with the team, likely for just over $1 million.

Comment

• StealthShot
                          Eat it
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                          The Knicks Blog says Jared Jeffries will be back with the team, likely for just over $1 million.
                          This man never dies, why can't we get Kurt Thomas back for $1 million WTF.

Comment

• StealthShot
                            Eat it
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                            I have no clue what the Knicks have to trade that's desirable for one of the superstars. Landry Fields is in his walk year as is Billups with his expiring deal...that's about it.

In terms of draft picks…

-No picks in 2012 (unless they have a top 5 first rounder or a top 55 second rounder).
                            -2013 1st rounder and 2nd rounder
                            -2014 2nd rounder from Sacramento (top 55 protected)
                            I've searched a few websites and I believe the Knicks do have picks in 2012 draft.

Maybe pair both picks, Landry Fields, Toney Douglas for Chris Paul. Doubt they'd ever take that shitty trade but who knows.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                              Giants in the Super Bowl
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by StealthShot
                              I've searched a few websites and I believe the Knicks do have picks in 2012 draft.

Maybe pair both picks, Landry Fields, Toney Douglas for Chris Paul. Doubt they'd ever take that shitty trade but who knows.
                              The 2012 first rounder belongs to Houston unless the Knicks finish among the bottom 5 teams (this is from the 2010 trade where NY acquired McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez).

The second rounder belongs to Phoenix unless it's a top 55 overall pick, then the Knicks keep it (this is from the Amare trade).

Comment

Working...