X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blick
    The Judge
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Herm
    lm looking at your recruits over past 5 years, and he's hit South Florida and the Northeast hard. Im saying if those are the areas where his connections are then its much easier to get those kids to come to Columbia SC and stay on the East Coast.
    Yeah, agreed on that.

Columbia's population is about 40 pct black people where Manhattatan is 5 pct. Its an easier sell for a 18 year old from the inner cities.
    I really don't think this is much of a factor. Maybe for some kids, but not most. How does Kansas get the recruits they do when they're an hour down the road from Manhattan? Winning, tradition, good coaching, etc. Those are some of the things kids look for, IMO.

I loved when you guys were good and gave Kansas something to fear instead of unabashedly ruling the big 12. In athletics all it takes in money to be good, Okie State is on the rise since TBoone opened up that pocket book and gave them blank checks. USCe was a doormat in football for years until they decided to spend more money and hire Spurrier.
    Yeah, money and AD's who aren't idiots. K-State has money, a new basketball facility being built, and plenty of fan support (at least until they hired Bruce Weber). Unfortunately, they have an AD who cares a lot more about running a squeaky clean program than winning. It's extremely frustrating to see this dickhead ruin what Huggins and Martin built.

Comment

• Blick
      The Judge
      • Mar 2009

Apparently, Gottlieb's dad helped Weber get his first gig at Western Kentucky.

Maybe Weber brings Doug along as an assistant?

Please God make it happen.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Gottlieb has a great gig at ESPN, no way he takes on the workload (and paycut) of being an assistant coach in Bumfuck, Kansas.

Comment

• Blick
          The Judge
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          Gottlieb has a great gig at ESPN, no way he takes on the workload (and paycut) of being an assistant coach in Bumfuck, Kansas.
          Oh here comes W2B to shit on the parade with a bunch of dumbass comments like NAHSTE did. Great job, guys.

Gottlieb is a basketball geek. He would probably LOVE the workload. He already studies tape and does a bunch of that shit already as an analyst. Plus, if he's serious about wanting to be a head coach, what would be a better path to take than being an assistant? He would make more as a head coach than he would at ESPN.

He also loves Bumfuck, Kansas.

Gottlieb has an answer for all of your negative talking points, guys.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Blick
            Oh here comes W2B to shit on the parade with a bunch of dumbass comments like NAHSTE did. Great job, guys.

Gottlieb is a basketball geek. He would probably LOVE the workload. He already studies tape and does a bunch of that shit already as an analyst. Plus, if he's serious about wanting to be a head coach, what would be a better path to take than being an assistant? He would make more as a head coach than he would at ESPN.

He also loves Bumfuck, Kansas.

Gottlieb has an answer for all of your negative talking points, guys.
            I'm sure Gottlieb would take a head coaching job. But now you are talking about being an assistant. They don't make shit. He has a family with young children, and a far easier job already in terms of workload that pays him a lot more than what the assistant job would pay.

I would be shocked if he left ESPN for that middling job.

If he lobbied for K-State, he can lobby for Okie St when it opens up or something else if he wants to coach that bad.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

And if Gottlieb was such a "basketball geek" who wanted the workload of an assistant coach job, he probably could have had that a long time ago. Why now, working underneath the guy who beat him out for the job he wanted?

Makes no sense.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

Please God make it happen.
                Why the fuck are you so hung up on Doug Gottlieb? Even if he felt that it would be "neato" to get the job, the Kansas State AD rightly decided to go in a different direction.

I realize K-State hoops was irrelevant for two decades, but come on, have some self respect Blick. A hack broadcaster expresses interest in coaching at your school and you blow your load.

Comment

• Blick
                  The Judge
                  • Mar 2009

I'm sure Gottlieb would take a head coaching job. But now you are talking about being an assistant. They don't make shit. He has a family with young children, and a far easier job already in terms of workload that pays him a lot more than what the assistant job would pay.

I would be shocked if he left ESPN for that middling job.

If he lobbied for K-State, he can lobby for Okie St when it opens up or something else if he wants to coach that bad.
                  The assistant job is only temporary though. If he succeeds, he moves up and makes more money as a head coach. If he fails, he goes back to making more money as an analyst.

His wife is from "Bumfuck", Oklahoma. They like that part of the country, and I'm sure they would like being a lot closer to family.

And if Gottlieb was such a "basketball geek" who wanted the workload of an assistant coach job, he probably could have had that a long time ago. Why now, working underneath the guy who beat him out for the job he wanted?

Makes no sense.
                  Because Weber will fail, and Gottlieb will be there to pick up the pieces. Probably sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                  Why the fuck are you so hung up on Doug Gottlieb? Even if he felt that it would be "neato" to get the job, the Kansas State AD rightly decided to go in a different direction.

I realize K-State hoops was irrelevant for two decades, but come on, have some self respect Blick. A hack broadcaster expresses interest in coaching at your school and you blow your load.
                  Because I, as well as many others, believe he has the attributes to succeed as a coach. I don't know how you can read that article or hear him speak about the job and not come away impressed and/or interested.

LOL at the AD rightly deciding to go in the direction of Bruce Weber.

Weber will take the team directly back to irrelevance. He's a KNOWN FAILURE at a comparable BCS school. Illinois is paying him almost 4 mil to NOT coach there.

I would rather take the unknown guy instead of the known loser.

Why don't you fucks tell me why he WOULD NOT be a good coach?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

I'm not saying he would be a bad coach. Or a good coach.

All i'm saying, is he is never going to come aboard as an assistant coach.

Comment

• Blick
                      The Judge
                      • Mar 2009

I'm not saying he would be a bad coach. Or a good coach.

All i'm saying, is he is never going to come aboard as an assistant coach.
                      You're probably right...and I implied that it was a long shot in the OP saying it was too creative of an idea for K-State.

But NAHSTE has been shitting on him as a head coaching candidate.

"Who are they going to get to be their strength and conditioning coach? Mike Greenberg? " - NAHSTE's next post

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

But NAHSTE has been shitting on him as a head coaching candidate.
                        No I've been shitting on you, and all other K-State fans who think that simply expressing interest in the job and being paid to talk about college basketball for a living makes you qualified.

Bruce Weber, whether you like it or not, is more qualified to coach a prominent D1 basketball program than Doug Gottlieb. I am frankly amazed the K-State fanbase is this easily impressed.

Comment

• Blick
                          The Judge
                          • Mar 2009

No I've been shitting on you, and all other K-State fans who think that simply expressing interest in the job and being paid to talk about college basketball for a living makes you qualified.

Bruce Weber, whether you like it or not, is more qualified to coach a prominent D1 basketball program than Doug Gottlieb. I am frankly amazed the K-State fanbase is this easily impressed.
                          This is seriously your worst string of posts ever. JFC.

Please tell me how Gottlieb isn't qualified.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                            Probably owns the site
                            • Feb 2009

This is seriously your worst string of posts ever. JFC.

Please tell me how Gottlieb isn't qualified.
                            Because so far his only qualifications are "basketball junkie" and "is not opposed to living in Manhattan, KS" ...

You have to do better than that.

Bruce Weber is more qualified than Doug Gottlieb to be a D1 college coach. Really not sure how that is unclear.

Comment

• Blick
                              The Judge
                              • Mar 2009

Because so far his only qualifications are "basketball junkie" and "is not opposed to living in Manhattan, KS" ...
                              Yeah, those are the only ones.

You have to do better than that.
                              He is better than that. You being a smarmy douche about his qualifications doesn't change that.

Bruce Weber is more qualified than Doug Gottlieb to be a D1 college coach. Really not sure how that is unclear.
                              You are basically just saying that Bruce Weber has coaching jobs on his resume. Good for him. He still sucks.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                                Probably owns the site
                                • Feb 2009

You are basically just saying that Bruce Weber has coaching jobs on his resume. Good for him. He still sucks.
                                Three D1 head coaching positions, 20 years of collegiate coaching experience, .665 winning percentage.

In the other corner, we have "likes basketball", "thinks he'd do a good job" and "parents lived in Manhattan, KS for two years in the 70s!" ....

Comment

Working...