Official Washington Redskins Forum Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Former 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan is set to become the Redskins general manager, according to multiple reports.

McCloughan is expected to sign a four-year deal, according to NFL.com National Insider Ian Rapoport. A press conference to announce the move is expected Friday or Saturday, according to NFL.com writer Michael Silver.

Silver also reported Raiders owner Mark Davis reached out to McCloughan on Monday night. He offered him a president of personnel job under general manager Reggie McKenzie, but that is where the conversation ended, a source told Silver.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fan...cloughan-as-gm
    What do you guys think? McCloughan is considered an architect of both the current Niners and Seahawks rosters, and one of the most well-respected personnel guys in the NFL. He wanted full-control of whatever team he signed with, and that is why he never discussed anything serious with Oakland.

My guess is that Allen is going back to being the cap/contract expert, and letting McCloughan run the show so far as personnel goes. Provided he has full control, I think this puts the Redskins in a positive direction for once.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Eric Mangini will interview for the DC on Monday, following interviews from Wade Philips, Chargers LB coach Joe Barry and 49ers DB coach Ed Donatell. With Bruce Allen saying he wanted interviews finished by "this time next week" I would assume those four are going to be the only interviews, with decision made shortly after.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

At this point, I probably couldn't be more excited to head into an off-season. We have added some good coaches to the staff, but most important is a GM who values the draft and is a great talent evaluator who will hopefully send us in the right direction.

Scot McCloughan is a plus as GM. From all signs, he has control over personnel, which means Bruce Allen can help with cap and contracts and run the other aspects of the team. McCloughan has a great background as talent evaluator, and many claim he was a key party in the construction of the 49ers and Seahawks rosters.

Two key hirings on the offensive side of the football come with bringing in Matt Cavanaugh to coach QBs, and Bill Callahan to coach OL. Cavanaugh is a well-respected QB coach, with much of the praise being directed at his communication skills and ability to relate to his QBs, having been through the pressure of being one at the college and pro level. Instead of having Gruden and McVay working intermittently with our QBs, Cavanaugh will be the only one, and hopefully he will boil the messages down as much as possible for them. The signing of Callahan indicates that we will likely be abandoning the zone-blocking system and going towards more power-blocking, which is huge for Alfred Morris.

On the defensive side, I am not as excited with the hiring of Joe Barry, but I really don't think we can rate his time in Detroit accurately because that team was awful. I believe his defensive unit in the 0-16 season only had two players in the NFL after a year had passed. Reports say that Gruden went with Barry because he had "fire" and seemed much more motivated than Wade Phillips seemed. While I think Phillips could have fixed the defense sooner, Barry seems like he could be a long-term fixture. The hiring of Perry Fewell to coach DB's is a huge upgrade over Raheem Morris, and he should serve as a good sounding board for Barry. Keeping Kirk Olivadotti on as ILB coach was also a great move- he was key in developing Keenan Robinson. The hiring of Robb Akey is a puzzling one though, but there is no doubt he brings experience to the staff.

My goal for this off-season would be for us to hopefully negotiate a few trades during the draft, and end up with 10-12 picks. Hopefully we use those picks for BPA's, as this team is short on talent and can use it anywhere. The #5 draft choice will be enticing on draft day for multiple teams.

In free agency, I don't want us to go crazy, and I hope that we resist the urge to bring in players that are over age 28. We want players who are going to be here long term, and McCloughan has said as much, so I don't expect us to be very active in the big names on the market.

If we get younger, and are able to add talent all across the board, I will consider this a winning off-season. Right now, the Redskins aren't a one year rebuilding project, we need to get off on the right foot with the draft this year and spend wisely.

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
          Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
          • Jul 2010

we are going to be most likely the youngest team in the NFL after the draft.........
          3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
            Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
            • Jul 2010

so...........

what do we do about our #5 overall?
            3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• SuperKevin
              War Hero
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by x0xHumblex0x
              so...........

what do we do about our #5 overall?
              Vic Beasley

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                • Jul 2010

may have to consider this:

Comment

• SuperKevin
                  War Hero
                  • Dec 2009

Redskins apparently have signed DL Ricky Jean Francois to a 3 year 9 million dollar deal.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                    War Hero
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by x0xHumblex0x
                    I wouldn't take Collins at #5. If they can trade back, sure. Fix the need in FA and in the middle rounds of the draft

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                      Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                      Redskins apparently have signed DL Ricky Jean Francois to a 3 year 9 million dollar deal.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

I would trade the pick down once, if not twice, but if a couple scenarios happen that take the value away from trading down, I feel that the best player for us at that spot is Vic Beasley, though I feel we could trade further down in the top 10 and get him as well.

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                          Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                          I would trade the pick down once, if not twice, but if a couple scenarios happen that take the value away from trading down, I feel that the best player for us at that spot is Vic Beasley, though I feel we could trade further down in the top 10 and get him as well.
                          i wouldnt mind seeing a trade down.
                          we need some solid rookie to replace the old and retiring

maybe the Rams will offer the Redskins 3 1st rounders and 2nd to get Moriata

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                            Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                            • Jul 2010

we making moves

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                              Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                              • Jul 2010

Rakpo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk;
                              MFer

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                                Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                                • Jul 2010

hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk;
                                MFer

Comment

Working...