Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manchild24
    Kyle got fired
    • Nov 2008

Coach Mike Shanahan said he would decide on Wednesday how the quarterback's playing time will be divided in Friday's second preseason game.
    John Beck (groin) participated fully in practice on Sunday and expects to play Friday against the Colts. After Rex Grossman threw for 207 yards and a touchdown in the preseason opener, Beck should be feeling the heat. We'd expect Shanny to give Beck a shot with the starters F

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Not a surprise that Graham was cut. I am also think the Redskins will go with Gano, because they are desperate to find a long-term option at kicker.

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
        Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
        • Jul 2010

i will be surprised if we get more than 6 W's this season.......
        3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• Aso
          The Serious House
          • Nov 2008

I'm watching the week 16 jags game and Chris Cooley is turrible. 4 first half drops. I thought this guy was suppose to be good?

Comment

• manchild24
            Kyle got fired
            • Nov 2008

Jarvis Jenkins has been diagnosed with a torn ACL.
            It's a tough pill to swallow for the Redskins. Jenkins was one of the stars of training camp, showing raw yet explosive skills while playing the two-gap end spot in the 3-4. The No. 41 overall pick is now done for the season, leaving Adam Carriker as the likely starter opposite Stephen Bowen at defensive end.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by manchild24
              Jarvis Jenkins has been diagnosed with a torn ACL.
              It's a tough pill to swallow for the Redskins. Jenkins was one of the stars of training camp, showing raw yet explosive skills while playing the two-gap end spot in the 3-4. The No. 41 overall pick is now done for the season, leaving Adam Carriker as the likely starter opposite Stephen Bowen at defensive end.
              This loss is huge. Jenkins was fighting for the starting spot, but he was also important because he could rotate through all of the line positions. At least we brought back Kedric Golston late in the off-season so we aren't completely screwed on the defensive line but we lost a good player.

Comment

• manchild24
                Kyle got fired
                • Nov 2008

Time to hit the WIRE

Comment

• Bmore
                  The True Free-Man
                  • Oct 2008

Sorry guys. :/

Seems like the Ravens injure a opposing player for the season every game.

Comment

• BigBucs
                    Unpretentious
                    • May 2009

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yke08SybJzU[/ame]

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

I know its like picking between getting shot and being lit on fire, but who do you think is going to win the QB battle?

ASHBURN, Va. (AP)—It’s a primary D.C. race that’s too close to call.

With just over two weeks to go before the start of the season, there’s not much separating John Beck(notes) and Rex Grossman(notes) as they vie to be the starting quarterback of the Washington Redskins.

And, at least so far, it’s not a choice between the lesser of two evils. Both quarterbacks have overcome legitimate doubts about their suitability for the job to prove themselves worthy of serious consideration.

Despite the obvious pressure that comes with such a competition—and despite an awkward rotation by coach Mike Shanahan that had them alternating every two series—they combined to complete 14 of 25 passes for 220 yards with two touchdowns and one interception against the always formidable Baltimore Ravens defense in a 34-31 loss Thursday night.

The running tally after three games: Beck has completed 74 percent of his passes with one touchdown, one interception and a 99.0 rating. Grossman has completed 64 percent with two touchdowns, one interception and a 92.3 rating.

Those are just the numbers. Both are showing a rhythm and comfort level in the offense that just wasn’t there a year ago when Donovan McNabb(notes) was behind center.

While it’s true Shanahan might have already made up his mind, it’s hard to fault him for saying he’s going to wait as long as possible to announce the decision as the Redskins look to the opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 11. After all, it’s a very tight race.

“I believe in both these guys, they can play,” Shanahan said. “So whichever direction we go, not only do we have a first-team quarterback, we have a second-team quarterback.”

The third preseason game is the dress rehearsal for the regular season, and both quarterbacks were trying to prove a lot in a precious few snaps. Questions were raised about Beck’s desire or ability to throw downfield after he settled for short completions the previous week against Indianapolis. He answered them on his first pass against the Ravens—a nice throw to Anthony Armstrong(notes) deep down the right sideline for 33 yards.

Grossman started Thursday and had his first two drives end in punts. That’s not a big deal in a normal game, but in a QB competition like this one it must have seemed like a lifetime before he re-entered in the second quarter. His big moment came when he hit Santana Moss(notes) deep for a 24-yard touchdown toss just before halftime.

The Beck-Grossman sweepstakes is so vital to the team’s outlook that it’s easy to overlook the other dramas taking place on the field. Second-year receiver Terrence Austin(notes) is fighting for a roster spot, so the quarterback duel was far from his mind when he caught a screen pass from Beck and ran for a 13-yard score in the third quarter.

“To be honest with you, I didn’t really pay attention to that. I don’t even know who threw me my touchdown pass,” Austin said. “I was just in the game.”

One other job that had been up for grabs is surely all but decided. Tim Hightower(notes) continued his strong preseason with a 37-yard touchdown run. He’s averaging 6.8 yards per carry in a one-sided battle with Ryan Torain(notes), who has yet to play because of a broken hand.

“I felt like I belonged since my first day here,” said Hightower, acquired in a trade with Arizona on July 31. “This team has a good offensive line, and we’ve made a commitment to running the ball. In some ways I feel like it was meant to be.”

One sour note from the game: Second-round draft pick Jarvis Jenkins(notes) tore the ACL in his right knee in the first quarter and is done for the season. The defensive end from Clemson had a strong training camp and was slated to be major part of the defensive line rotation—and possibly challenge Adam Carriker(notes) for a starting job.

“Unfortunately it is an ACL tear,” Jenkins announced on Twitter. “I’m gonna work harder than I’ve ever worked to get back.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...ns-cliffhanger

Comment

• BazookaJoe5
                        Formerly ravensownall17
                        • Feb 2009

Beck sucks, he always has. Grossman has won in the past with a good supporting cast and the Skins seem to have that this year, no question he should be the starter.

Comment

• Trmszczykowski
                          The Mountain recast
                          • Nov 2010

What are the chances Hankerson takes a starting spot from Gaffney?

Comment

• Boucher
                            King of EDM
                            • Jul 2009

To start season? Slim

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Trm
                              What are the chances Hankerson takes a starting spot from Gaffney?
                              None......his hands have been beyond :turrible: so far this preseason. Sure it might be jitters but Carlos Rogers could catch a better ball than Hankerson so far this preseason.

Further down in the season? Perhaps, but Gaffney seems to have hit his stride in the past couple seasons, and could do well in a ball control offense opposite Santana Moss.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                                • Sep 2024

Just wanted to post some thoughts from the game yesterday. It was a good game- the Giants were most certainly banged up and missing two of their best pass-rushers, and that is the strength of their defense. But, our defense was on their game, stopping the run and forcing Manning to pass, which is not a recipe for a Giants win.

The Good

1.) Rex Grossman was good. He threw for over 300 yards with two touchdowns and a 110.5 QB rating. He did a great job spreading the ball around and didn't throw a pick. He did fumble in a crucial time though, and struggled with his deep balls. I'm not sipping the kool-aid just yet, as some of the impulsive Skins fans are screaming Super Bowl and playoffs, but I'm just happy to get a good game out of him.

2.) Fred Davis came out of nowhere to nap five catches for 105 yards, and came up big with those receptions. He's had the physical tools to be successful, but now the Redskins look committed to getting Davis involved in the passing game and he could be in for a big year.

3.) Anthony Armstrong scored a touchdown, but did a good job stretching the field and opening things up underneath. It doesn't look like he is a one year wonder.

4.) New rookies and players on defense. Ryan Kerrigan applied pressure all day and intercepted Manning for a touchdown, and fellow rookie Chris Neild notched two sacks as the backup nose tackle. Barry Cofield made some plays and new end Stephen Bowen added a sack as well. OJ Otogwe was solid as well, and the Giants ignored him for Reed Doughty.

The Bad

1.) Offensive line was bad. Even down Tuck and Umenyiora, the Giants sacked Grossman four times, forced a fumble and held Tim Hightower to under 3 YPC. Pierre-Paul had a great game against Trent Williams, and I hope that was just the line working out the kinks. If not, it could be a long year for Grossman.

2.) LaRon Landry is missed. Reed Doughty was picked on all day in coverage. Even though Landry isn't the best in coverage, he is still better than Doughty and the Redskins need him to return quickly, or else they have a glaring hole in their defense.

3.) Graham Gano missed his only field goal, but nailed four extra points. That does worry me, as Gano was shaky at times last season but did perform well in the pre-season.

All in all, I was happy with the game. There are definitely some things we need to work on, but it was a positive step in the right direction for this team. I am impressed with the direction Shanahan is taking this team, even though I am not sold on Grossman being the quarterback.

Comment

Working...