Official Washington Redskins Forum Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

I'm utterly confused on the Tracy Porter point, but I'm probably going to side with Aso on this one.

ESPN ranked him as one of their better corners on their Insider rankings page- I think he was graded out as a "B" by Bill Polian, which put him in the top 10 for available corners. Meanwhile, CBS doesn't have Porter in their top 20 for FA CB's and ProFootballFocus, a paid advanced statistic website, ranked him 106 out of 110 for full-time corners in their coverage rating.

PFF did mention that Porter lead all CBs with stops in the running game with 14, so he isn't afraid to tackle and be physical. With the Hatcher signing and bringing Orakpo back, they are doing what I thought. The goal of the defense is to apply pressure and force plays, with the secondary being physical off the line trying to throw receivers off their routes, and being able to blitz from any position on the field.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Brandon Meriweather is back on a one year, $1 million deal. If his knee holds up and Meriweather avoids suspension, this is a really good deal considering what other safeties got this off-season. It's clear that safety is likely going to be a high draft pick this year, and Meriweather will hold a spot warm for one season and have that draft pick and Philip Thomas fight for the other starting spot.

Comment

• SuperKevin
        War Hero
        • Dec 2009

The Redskins signed MLB Akeem Jordan. Thats now 3 MLBs they have brought in during FA. Safe to say they are not impressed with the linebacker crop in the drft

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

He will likely fight with Sharpton for playing time opposite MLB. I think he could be like Rob Jackson, a guy who is a magnet for big plays if he's given the time to be on the field. Doesn't hurt that he's coming from the Eagles either, so we have insight on both Dallas and Philly right now.

Comment

• SuperKevin
            War Hero
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
            He will likely fight with Sharpton for playing time opposite MLB. I think he could be like Rob Jackson, a guy who is a magnet for big plays if he's given the time to be on the field. Doesn't hurt that he's coming from the Eagles either, so we have insight on both Dallas and Philly right now.
            He's coming from Kansas City

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

We're also hosting Saints C Brian De La Puente, and had brought in Colts C Mike McGlynn, looks like we are trying to keep Lichensteiger at guard. De La Puente would be a pretty good addition to the line though- his strength is pass-blocking and durability, so that addition would be big.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                He's coming from Kansas City
                I read that wrong somehow........

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

So CBS ran an article on free agency grades by team. The good? They ranked us second overall behind the Bucs with an A- grade. The bad news? Pete Prisco wrote the article

Once upon a time, the Redskins were huge players in free agency. Now they are a lot smarter. They signed seven free agents and four of them should be starters: Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher, receiver Andre Roberts, corner Tracy Porter and guard Shawn Lauvao. They also re-signed linebacker Perry Riley and corner DeAngelo Hall, two starters. I like what Washington did without a huge splash. Grade: A-
                  Solid off-season for sure, but second-highest is overrating this for sure, even if part of the grade is not going back to Snyder foolishness.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                    • Sep 2024

ORLANDO – With the signing of free agent Andre Roberts two weeks ago, the Washington Redskins believe that they have added a versatile playmaker to a receiving unit badly in need of weapons.

The Redskins have Pierre Garcon, who last season led the NFL with 113 catches. But after Garcon, Washington lacked consistent options.
                    Coach Jay Gruden believes that Roberts can help solve that problem, however. And, the coach sees him as a potential weapon on special teams.

“I think Andre is an exciting player because he can play inside and outside and he can give you a lot of things,” Gruden said on Monday. “He hasn’t been asked to return a lot of punts because they have Patrick Peterson and the Honey Badger. But we might ask him to get back there and return some punts also. Very versatile guy, and I’m expecting big things from him.”

Washington needs both a threat at slot receiver, and at the outside position opposite Garcon. Roberts has said since signing with the Redskins that he expects to see time at both spots.

Tennessee Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt coached Roberts with the Arizona Cardinals, and drafted him in the third round out of The Citadel in 2010. Speaking at the AFC coaches breakfast Tuesday morning, Whisenhunt gave a brief scouting report on the fifth-year pro.

“He’s a great, great young player,” Whisenhunt said. “Very tough competitor. I thought he was a good leader and a good player for me when I was there. I have a lot of respect for what he’s done, and I’m glad he’s getting an opportunity in Washington.”

Further breaking down Roberts’s game, Whisenhunt said, “The thing I liked the best about Andre was his flexibility. He can play the slot, he can play outside. He can win outside. He made himself into a tough football player. There were some things he went through early in his career as a football player that he had to fight through and that made him a better player – injuries and getting back on the field. And now he’s become a great pro. He works hard and understands what he has to do to be out there every day. But the thing that impresses me, is you always have respect with those guys when they come in and blocking. You see him block linebackers, and block big safeties. He does a great job in the slot, understanding those routes. He can think quickly on his feet. He’s a versatile receiver who can fill a lot of roles.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...andre-roberts/
                    Good words from Whisenhunt, I did not know that Roberts was a good blocker. It seems to me that we still plan on maintaining a strong running game, which I like seeing. As far as Roberts goes, his health is the only thing that concerns me. If he is able to stay on the field, he will do well for us.

Comment

• Argath
                      $2 whore
                      • Apr 2009

I feel the same way about Andre Roberts as I did about the Josh Morgan signing a few years ago. Seems to be a little overhyped and I don't believe he's going to have much of an impact on the field.

I hope he proves me wrong though.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Argath
                        I feel the same way about Andre Roberts as I did about the Josh Morgan signing a few years ago. Seems to be a little overhyped and I don't believe he's going to have much of an impact on the field.

I hope he proves me wrong though.

That's actually a very good comparison as far as skill sets go. For Roberts, the key will be staying healthy. I think he can be a difference maker if he is, but it's a waste if he can't stay healthy.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                          • Sep 2024

arlier this month, the Redskins used their franchise tag for 2014 on linebacker Brian Orakpo, meaning they would have to pay him $11.45 million if the two sides couldn't agree to a long-term deal.

Sounds like Orakpo can expect the $11.45 million.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said at Wednesday's owners' meetings that he's not opposed to simply letting Orakpo play under the tag for the season.

"We'd like to get him here for as many years as we can, but right now I wouldn't mind letting him play out this franchise tag and see what happens,” Gruden said, via the Washington Post. “He's a talented player. I think he can do a little bit better. [We] can ask more of him where he could be more productive as far as getting his hand down and rushing more instead of dropping [into pass coverage] quite so much. We have high hopes for Brian and whether the deal gets done or not, we know he'll be a big part of our success [in 2014].”

Orakpo has battled injuries during his career, but he still managed 10 sacks in 15 games last season. At the combine, Gruden said Orakpo was one of the team's top priorities but apparently that didn't relate to making a long-term commitment to him.

"Pass rushers don't grow on trees, and at the time we did it we weren't sure what pass rushers would be available,” Gruden said Wednesday. “There was still a chance for Seattle to franchise [Michael] Bennett, or some of the top pass rushers out there we weren't sure who would be available. So, we thought it was very important to take care of one of our own, who we groomed and coached up, and also the fact that pass rushers don't grow on trees. We thought it was very important we got one and we're happy with Brian.”

We're not sure how Orakpo will feel about Gruden's latest idea, but when he was originally tagged, he seemed OK with it.

"Hopefully we can get something done as far as long-term, but at least this is a step moving forward and not backward,” Orakpo told the Post in early March. "...Normally, the Redskins like to get rid of homegrown talent, or homegrown talent doesn't develop the way they want to. But they prioritized myself as far as having a career here. I'm still in my prime and had the one injury setback, but still came back very strong and so I commend them on that. I want something that can work out for the both of us and this was that one step moving forward, and I'm happy to continue hopefully being a part of the Redskins and hopefully getting something done long-term eventually.”

If that long-term extension does come to fruition, it sounds like it won't be happening any time soon.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...play-under-tag
                          What will be worth keeping an eye on is how high the team drafts an OLB, which will be an indicator of how much confidence they have in Orakpo moving forward. We do get an extra minicamp before the draft, but I don't think Orakpo has to show if he doesn't want to. If he wants that long-term deal, he should show up.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                            • Sep 2024

EJ Biggers is back, I am not sure what they have planned for him, as it seems we will take a CB in the draft and Biggers would be fighting for a fifth CB spot with Crawford and Minnefield. They could transition him over to safety as well, but I'm not sure that's the goal. Competition at CB doesn't hurt though.

Orakpo has signed his franchise tender, which means he will be showing up to all OTA activities which is a smart move on his part. The Redskins can still negotiate a long-term contract with Orakpo right now as well, but he's likely playing out the tag this year.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                              • Sep 2024

Not even politicians are buying Dan Sndyer's sudden soft spot for the plight of Native Americans. The Redskins owner announced this week the creation of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation which, in his words, will "provide meaningful and measurable resources that provide genuine opportunities for Tribal communities."

But the team and the league continue to face criticism from various group who find the Redskins name offensive. And that includes Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who called Snyder's latest effort, "a phony deal, like everything else [he's] done."

“Dan Snyder, he's got a great new deal,” Reid told the Washington Post Thursday. “He's going to throw a few blankets to the Indians and get a tax deduction for it. I can't imagine why the man doesn't realize that the name is going to change. It's only a question of when it's going to change. That's the only question.”

Reid, it turns out, has an answer. He figures that the Redskins name won't be around much longer.

“I think the name will be changed within the next three years,” he said. “You know, I may slip a year or two, but I think it's just a question of time. Because Native Americans are organized. We have Native Americans who now are not all poor. We've got these Indian gaming establishments who have money, who are gonna help with this. And Dan Snyder's not the only person in the world with money. ...

“Snyder has to realize, he is on the losing side of history,” Reid continued. “And the sooner he does it, the better off we are. The Wizards, you know, they were the Washington Bullets. With all the killing that took place, the murders in Washington, Abe Pollin -- a very nice man -- decided 'I don't need any of this.' So they changed it to the Washington Wizards. We're all used to the Washington Wizards. And I don't know what [the Redskins will] change the name to, but we'll get used to it really quick.”

We're guessing Snyder knows this too.

Our crazy conspiracy theory: We wouldn't be surprised if it's part of Snyder's grand strategy to leverage the Redskins name for all its worth before ultimately deciding that a change would be in everyone's best interests. Native Americans will be happy, critics will be happy, and Snyder will be happy with the financial windfall coming his way from all the new merchandising.

For now, Snyder hasn't budged on his proclamation from last May: The Redskins name will never change.

And on Wednesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell not only commended Snyder for the new foundation, but said critics of the team name are in the minority.

“I think Dan is being very responsible in listening," Goodell said. "It's also very clear when you look at public opinion, when you look at the polls that 90 percent of Redskins fans support the name. They believe it's something that represents pride. And the general population also supports it overwhelmingly. He's trying to be responsible in listening and recognizing that people have differing views.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...within-3-years
                              The bold....... Reid is one gigantic idiot.

I also remember hearing a few years ago that there was a push to change the Wizards back to the Bullets. Argath, am I imagining things here?

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                                • Sep 2024

It looks like the DeSean Jackson sweepstakes will start in Washington. Jackson, who was cut by the Eagles on Friday, is expected to visit with the Redskins on Monday, according to NBC Washington and confirmed by multiple reports.

The Redskins are one of at least nine teams believed to be interested in the free agent wide receiver. The Raiders, Jets, Chiefs and Bills have also expressed interest in Jackson.

Jets owner Woody Johnson and quarterback Michael Vick have both gone on the record saying they'd welcome Jackson to New York.

The Raiders also seem to be a logical landing spot for Jackson. According to NFL.com, there's mutual interest between the two parties, so much so that the Raiders have been doing background research on Jackson for over a week now.

During an interview with KGMZ-FM in the Bay Area on Friday, Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson said he'd love to see his team add Jackson, "Bring him in, I think he would look good in the silver and black," Woodson said, via ESPN.com.

The 49ers, Seahawks and Patriots are teams that were linked to Jackson through trade talks before he was released, but none of those three teams has been directly linked to him since he was cut on Friday.

Even though other teams are interested, they may not get a chance to talk to Jackson if Redskins owner Daniel Snyder makes him an offer he can't refuse. If the Redskins are to make a big offer, they'll have to get creative with the 2014 cap hit. As of Friday, Washington only had about $7 million in cap room.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...kins-on-monday
                                If Jackson is miffed that Kelly gave him the runaround, landing with the Redskins is a legitimate chance. Jackson seems like he would want to prove himself against the Eagles twice a year. The Cowboys don't have the cap space, and I think the Giants are up there, and I don't see Coughlin taking a chance on Jackson due to character issues.

Adding Jackson would be huge to help with the return game, as well as adding a dynamic playmaker opposite of Garcon. I wouldn't be opposed to having Jackson on the roster. It's been years since we've had a good 1-2 receiver punch.

Also, it seems we signed Mike McGlynn, which adds some solid depth at C/G. It seems we are going to be content to let a bunch of players battle it out in OTA's and training camp for spots on the roster and see who rises to the occasion.

Comment

Working...