X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kuzzy Powers
    Beautiful Like Moses
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
    I acknowledged that. Do you ever read a full post, or do you go straight to troll mode?

They put him in a tough position, and I think a fight against Guida, assuming he wins, will provide the best of both worlds. He'll get his name out there with the casuals, and have a chance at a fatter payday in the title fight
    I think Pettis is as hot as can be right now considering hes been on highlight reels all across the world for quite some time. The iron is hot.. its easy for casuals to forget about Pettis if he goes ahead and losses to Guida, but its also a GREAT TIME to promote him now, when hes not only hot in MMA circles, but outside them from being pimped in that highlight reel video a million times.

Comment

• Primetime
      Thank You Prince
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
      The point is, after the fight there was still a champion (Frankie). That champion was supposed to fight Pettis. Gray is the one that should be waiting, not Anthony. Theres no point in having #1 contender matches in a ZUFFA promotion, because they essentially mean nothing.
      This is just where we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Gray deserves another shot, especially considering the fact that Edgar still hasn't beaten him in either of the two fights they've had. I like the choice, you don't. Simple as that.

Comment

• calgaryballer
        Tiote!
        • Mar 2009

The point is, after the fight there was still a champion (Frankie). That champion was supposed to fight Pettis. Gray is the one that should be waiting, not Anthony. Theres no point in having #1 contender matches in a ZUFFA promotion, because they essentially mean nothing.
        They don't mean much in any promotion. The UFC is the only one stupid enough to keep doing them. Hendo loses his chance at the 185 belt but is right back in line for a 205 title shot with a single win.

Coming out and saying 'this is for a #1 title shot', unless you are happy with both guys in a fight, is just plain silly. It backs you in to a corner with very little upside.

Adding that extra pressure only seems to bring out the worst in some fighters as they fight a boring fight to get the shot and end up costing themselves the shot by being so boring

Comment

• calgaryballer
          Tiote!
          • Mar 2009

I think Pettis is as hot as can be right now considering hes been on highlight reels all across the world for quite some time. The iron is hot.. its easy for casuals to forget about Pettis if he goes ahead and losses to Guida, but its also a GREAT TIME to promote him now, when hes not only hot in MMA circles, but outside them from being pimped in that highlight reel video a million times.
          Look, I agree with you about Pettis. Edgar still has never BEAT his current number 1 contender, and the guy that holds his only loss. I think avenging the loss is something he should take care of before he moves on.

It sucks for Pettis, it's a hippocritical move by Dana, but in the end, if I was running the business, I'd make the same call

Comment

• EmpireWF
            Giants in the Super Bowl
            • Mar 2009

Guys have to realize the #1 contendership stip is promotion. Nothing more, nothing less.

They announced the Hominick/Roop fight later this month...if Hominick wins, he gets a shot at Aldo. If Roop wins, then they'll decide afterward who will get the first shot at Aldo.

Comment

• SHOGUN
              4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
              • Jul 2009

Regardless, I'm going to be pissed if Guida goes back to his old tactics against Pettis after showing off his expanded game.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

Working...