X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgoblue2290
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Here are 5 of the stadiums they'd like to build.

"Arrive by water taxi!!"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z2jtUS9-Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z2jtUS9-Y[/ame]

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
      I Can Score Goals
      • Dec 2008

Let me put it this way then, there's nothing the Australian bid offered that the US couldn't do better and Qatar's bid is something unique, it was always gonna be between the 2, nowhere did I say Australia couldn't pull it off, their bid just wasn't good enough to ever have a shot. I'm struggling to see why this is so hard to comprehend.

edit: apart from not having hosted it before that is

Comment

• mgoblue2290
        Posts too much
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by CaribbeanJoseph

Let me put it this way then, there's nothing the Australian bid offered that the US couldn't do better and Qatar's bid is something unique, it was always gonna be between the 2, nowhere did I say Australia couldn't pull it off, their bid just wasn't good enough to ever have a shot. I'm struggling to see why this is so hard to comprehend.
        Translation: We'll build awkwardly cool stadiums...and bribe the shit out of FIFA.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
          Late to the party.
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mgoblue2290
          Here are 5 of the stadiums they'd like to build.

"Arrive by water taxi!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z2jtUS9-Y
          They just blatantly took every clip from the 2006 ESPN wrap-up video and put them on the side of that last stadium.
          If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
            I Can Score Goals
            • Dec 2008

Like I said you guys are obviously miffed but I can't understand why your anger is directed at Australia being beat???

edit: just because their culture is different, it's a backwards country?

Comment

• relaxedanderson
              I am not Abe Kabbible
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by citizenerased
              Yeah, Australia would have no shot of pulling it off. I mean, it isn't like they organised the best run Olympic Games your ever likely to see or anything. Much better to give it to the little Arab country who will build temporary stadiums, probably like to stone gays and have a population about the size of Auckland.

I can't wait to see what happens if Israel qualifies for 2022.
              ...and if a Kiwi is going to bat for the Aussies then there definitely must have been something in the bid. :D

I'm not really a massive soccer fan and I've never really had any burning desire to visit Australia but even I would be tempted to save up for a couple of years to go to a World Cup out there, even though there no chance of my team qualifying.

On the other hand I wouldn't go to a World Cup in Qatar if it was being held in my back garden.

Just wait until this one sinks in as well: you know all those smoking hot, 19 year old Brazilian girls in the little Brazilian flag bikinis that go to the games? Not happening in 2022. Dutch and Argentinian girls always put on a good show as well...but not in Doha. Cardigans and long skirts all around.

One good thing though is that public displays of affection are illegal as well so we should see a return to gentlemanly, post-goal handshakes all round rather than the homo-erotic hugs, kisses and pile-ons that they have now and not a moment too soon.
              Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• citizenerased
                Rugby World Cup Champion
                • Mar 2009

edit: apart from not having hosted it before that is
                Then give it to the USA, the one packed to the brim already with rectangle shaped stadiums that hold 80,000 people and a population to fill them. Not the worlds biggest oil rig in the middle of some unbearably hot hellhole with the population of Buffalo run by nutbag Muslims who have a vague idea to build stadiums out of giant lego pieces.

Just because it's unique doesn't mean its a good idea. Maybe Baghdad should bid with the unique experience of having players dodge sniper fire every time they get the ball.
                Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                  Posts too much
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by relaxedanderson
                  ...and if a Kiwi is going to bat for the Aussies then there definitely must have been something in the bid. :D

I'm not really a massive soccer fan and I've never really had any burning desire to visit Australia but even I would be tempted to save up for a couple of years to go to a World Cup out there, even though there no chance of my team qualifying.

On the other hand I wouldn't go to a World Cup in Qatar if it was being held in my back garden.

Just wait until this one sinks in as well: you know all those smoking hot, 19 year old Brazilian girls in the little Brazilian flag bikinis that go to the games? Not happening in 2022. Dutch and Argentinian girls always put on a good show as well...but not in Doha. Cardigans and long skirts all around.

One good thing though is that public displays of affection are illegal as well so we should see a return to gentlemanly, post-goal handshakes all round rather than the homo-erotic hugs, kisses and pile-ons that they have now and not a moment too soon.
                  I am now picturing Qatar officials in full Muslim garb running out onto the field with a large blanket covering up a dog pile.

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                    I am not Abe Kabbible
                    • Feb 2009

Like I said you guys are obviously miffed but I can't understand why your anger is directed at Australia being beat???
                    Because they would have done a bloody good job of it. There are two things that Australia are really, really good at; hosting sporting events and having spiders.

I think everyone was expecting America, and probably looking forward to the trip, but if Australia had pipped them at the post then most people (apart from some Americans) would have been happy.

Who, on the other hand, is going to get all excited about a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Qatar? Of course they'll buy in one or two barrels of beer and tart the place up a bit but the only people who will be looking forward to spending six weeks in the desert are the type of people who actually enjoy going to Dubai.
                    Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                      I Can Score Goals
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by citizenerased
                      Then give it to the USA, the one packed to the brim already with rectangle shaped stadiums that hold 80,000 people and a population to fill them. Not the worlds biggest oil rig in the middle of some unbearably hot hellhole with the population of Buffalo run by nutbag Muslims who have a vague idea to build stadiums out of giant lego pieces.

Just because it's unique doesn't mean its a good idea. Maybe Baghdad should bid with the unique experience of having players dodge sniper fire every time they get the ball.
                      That's exactly my point though lol, this is why Australia was never a contender.

And just because it's not a traditional world cup doesn't mean that we should be writing it off when it's 12 years away.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                        Tiote!
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BigHouseUSA
                        I'm not worried about the US getting it or not, as I'm sure they'll get '26, but I don't think this was the right time to go with Qatar. You had the US or Australia, even if they had conflicting stadiums, Australia have the money to make more. At this point, Qatar have the money to support this, despite being particularly small. But who fucking knows in 2022? Look at the UAE, they were rich for a few years before going all out on tourism and going completely bankrupt. This is probably what will happen to Qatar. A small nation like that can only last so long spending so much money, the oil business can drastically change in the next twelve years as well with the reemergence of electrical cars. This was just not a safe pick at all, especially after picking two third world countries and one run by the mafia.
                        Typically World Cups go Europe - Somewhere Else - Europe - Somewhere Else. I'd guess 2030 for another US bid. Spain/Portugal and England will likely be back again for 2026.

I really don't know why Belgium/Holland didn't get more play. Lovely countries, great fan atmosphere, FANTASTIC beer. If they don't want joint bids, then just outlaw them. It's like 3 hrs from Brussels/Antwerp to Amsterdam. It's TWO DAYS from Volgograd to Kaliningrad

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                          I Can Score Goals
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by relaxedanderson
                          Because they would have done a bloody good job of it. There are two things that Australia are really, really good at; hosting sporting events and having spiders.

I think everyone was expecting America, and probably looking forward to the trip, but if Australia had pipped them at the post then most people (apart from some Americans) would have been happy.

Who, on the other hand, is going to get all excited about a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Qatar? Of course they'll buy in one or two barrels of beer and tart the place up a bit but the only people who will be looking forward to spending six weeks in the desert are the type of people who actually enjoy going to Dubai.
                          They're miffed that the US lost yet their keep going on about Australia when the US bid > Australia's anyway, do you get what I mean lol?

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                            I Can Score Goals
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
                            Typically World Cups go Europe - Somewhere Else - Europe - Somewhere Else. I'd guess 2030 for another US bid. Spain/Portugal and England will likely be back again for 2026.

I really don't know why Belgium/Holland didn't get more play. Lovely countries, great fan atmosphere, FANTASTIC beer. If they don't want joint bids, then just outlaw them. It's like 3 hrs from Brussels/Antwerp to Amsterdam. It's TWO DAYS from Volgograd to Kaliningrad
                            New rules mean it can't go to Europe till 2030, no?

Comment

• calgaryballer
                              Tiote!
                              • Mar 2009

Which rule is that?

NM, found it - The newest host selection policy is that any country may bid for a World Cup, provided that their continental confederation has not hosted either of the past two World Cups

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                                Late to the party.
                                • Jun 2009

New rules mean it can't go to Europe till 2030, no?
                                Yeah, Europe has to wait two tournaments before bidding again. Leaving us with an African nation, Argentina, the US, or Mexico for '26.
                                If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

Working...