X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davie
    Hey, relax guy!
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
    There is a reason he's England's Number 1. I'd rather have his occasional rushes of blood than a keeper who's every move is a howler.
    Care to share that reason with me? He's awful.

Comment

• calgaryballer
      Tiote!
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Archer
      Because the rest of our keepers fucking suck?

James > Almunia though
      Pretty much.

Originally posted by davie
      Care to share that reason with me? He's awful.
      But in the Premier League, how many keepers are better? Reina is probably the best. Cech is still pretty good, even if he has lost his ability to deal with high balls. Given is a great shot stopper, but is catching more and more flak for his ability to organize the defence.

Who else does that leave? VDS? Probably better than James even though Fergie is trying hard to replace him. I don't think Schwarzer and Friedel are any better than James. Robert Green and Paul Robinson are failed England #1's. Gomes seems to have settled a bit from his crazy ways and Craig Gordon will likely never justify the 10 mil purchase price.

Essentially, I feel James is a keeper who would easily rate in the Top 10 of the league, if not higher. Regardless of England's choices, this is a keeper who backstopped Pompey to the FA Cup and was the main backstop for an England team that easily won their group. Do I trust him or feel he's Top 10 in the World? Not at all. But I feel he's twice the keeper of Almunia and better than much of the Prem's keepers

If you disagree, maybe offer some ideas on who you think is better?

Comment

• davie
        Hey, relax guy!
        • Oct 2008

But in the Premier League, how many keepers are better? Reina is probably the best. Cech is still pretty good, even if he has lost his ability to deal with high balls. Given is a great shot stopper, but is catching more and more flak for his ability to organize the defence.

Who else does that leave? VDS? Probably better than James even though Fergie is trying hard to replace him. I don't think Schwarzer and Friedel are any better than James. Robert Green and Paul Robinson are failed England #1's. Gomes seems to have settled a bit from his crazy ways and Craig Gordon will likely never justify the 10 mil purchase price.

Essentially, I feel James is a keeper who would easily rate in the Top 10 of the league, if not higher. Regardless of England's choices, this is a keeper who backstopped Pompey to the FA Cup and was the main backstop for an England team that easily won their group. Do I trust him or feel he's Top 10 in the World? Not at all. But I feel he's twice the keeper of Almunia and better than much of the Prem's keepers

All I said was that he was known for never making howlers (sarcasm, someone might not have picked up on that) and asked you for the reason why he's England's number 1.

From your response, am I to understand that you think James is a definite top 10, possibly top 5, goalkeeper in the best ever league in the world ever?

And that he's England's number 1 because he's not as shit as Paul Robinson or Robert Green?

Comment

• davie
          Hey, relax guy!
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by heelswxman
          Do you even watch football? Why in the fuck are you even asking this question?

It's as if your goal in life is to be a tosser of epic proportions.

Are you openly admitting that you think Almunia is better keeper than James? And if James isn't the best English keeper than who is? Ben 'fucking' Foster?
          I asked the question in order to get an answer - that's what questions are for

To be a "tosser of epic proportions" has been my dream, ever since I heard the phrase used by a 12 year old many years ago. Isn't it everyones dream though? If you can't be a professional footballer, you might as well try to reach that second choice target of tosser of epic proportions.

You must be retarded if you thought my post was openly admitting that Spanish prick was better than the best English goalkeeper in the most awesome football division ever. I just wanted to let everyone know that David James is well known for his consistency and tremendous ability not to fuck up. Has Ben 'fucking' Foster upset you by causing Man Utd to drop points or something?

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
            Late to the party.
            • Jun 2009

Pretty much.

I think you're shortchanging Howard, Schwarzer, and Friedel. All three make very few mistakes in comparison to James. On top of playing out of their minds a lot more frequently.
            Originally posted by mgoblue2290
            If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• Archer
              Go the fuck outside
              • Oct 2008

Andy Carroll got charged with assault today

This all stems back from when he glassed somebody in the face at a night club . I heard around here that three people have put in statements saying he did it unprovoked so the future may not be too bright for Carroll

Comment

• calgaryballer
                Tiote!
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BigHouse
                I think you're shortchanging Howard, Schwarzer, and Friedel. All three make very few mistakes in comparison to James. On top of playing out of their minds a lot more frequently.
                Possibly. Those three do play behind much better defences that James has as well. I think there is something to be said about a guy who has held more clean sheets than any other keeper in Premier League history. Obviously, James has been around a long time, but that doesn't explain everything. Just to fuel the fire, here is how I'd rate Premier League keepers, based on each squads #1

Tier 1
                1. Reina
                2. Cech

Tier 2
                3. Jaaskalinen (forgot him in my original post, hugely underrated)

Tier 3
                4. Howard
                5. Hart
                6. Friedel
                7. Given
                8. James

Tier 4
                9. Schwarzer
                10. van der Sar
                11. Kirkland
                12. Green
                13. Gomes

Tier 5
                14. Robinson
                15. Myhill (been really impressed by him of late)
                16. Henessy/Hahnemann
                17. Gordon

Tier 6
                18. Sorenson
                19. Jensen

Tier 100
                20. Almunia

I struggled with the middle guys, basically 6-12. As a former Newcastle guy, I love Shay Given, but I've been less than impressed this whole season with his play. I kind of felt VDS should be higher, just because he wins so damn much

Sorenson should also probably be higher, considering Stoke are such a solid defensive team. Could probably bump him as high as 15
                Last edited by calgaryballer; 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• 1ke
                  D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by heelswxman
                  No, in fact I hope Foster continues to be the huge bumbling idiot he portrays on match day. Fuck Man U.
                  Ouch Heels, just ouch.

Although Foster can go....as matter of fact I thnk he would be perfect for Nott Forest.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                    Late to the party.
                    • Jun 2009

Possibly. Those three do play behind much better defences that James has as well. I think there is something to be said about a guy who has held more clean sheets than any other keeper in Premier League history. Obviously, James has been around a long time, but that doesn't explain everything. Just to fuel the fire, here is how I'd rate Premier League keepers, based on each squads #1

Tier 1
                    1. Reina
                    2. Cech

Tier 2
                    3. Jaaskalinen (forgot him in my original post, hugely underrated)

Tier 3
                    4. Howard
                    5. Hart
                    6. Friedel
                    7. Given
                    8. James

Tier 4
                    9. Schwarzer
                    10. van der Sar
                    11. Kirkland
                    12. Green
                    13. Gomes

Tier 5
                    14. Robinson
                    15. Myhill (been really impressed by him of late)
                    16. Henessy/Hahnemann
                    17. Gordon

Tier 6
                    18. Sorenson
                    19. Jensen

Tier 100
                    20. Almunia

I struggled with the middle guys, basically 6-12. As a former Newcastle guy, I love Shay Given, but I've been less than impressed this whole season with his play. I kind of felt VDS should be higher, just because he wins so damn much

Sorenson should also probably be higher, considering Stoke are such a solid defensive team. Could probably bump him as high as 15
                    I like the list, but there's a few changes I'd make.

Tier 1
                    1. Reina
                    2. Cech
                    3. Given

Tier 2
                    4. Howard
                    5. Friedel
                    6. Hart
                    7. Schwarzer
                    8. van der Sar

Tier 4
                    9. James
                    10. Jaaskalinen
                    11. Gomes
                    12. Kirland
                    13. Green

Tier 5
                    14. Robinson
                    15. Myhill
                    16. Sorenson
                    17. Henessy/Hahnemann
                    18. Gordon

Tier 6
                    19. Jensen

Tier 100
                    20. Almunia

I haven't noticed much out of Jaaskalinen to put him that high, but I do think he's pretty good. Like you mentioned, I think Sorenson has played well enough this season to be higher. I had to put Given in the first tier too, solely because if I didn't put him in for his minor faults then I wouldn't be able to Cech in. Given's struggled as of late, but he was pretty immense a the beginning of the season.
                    Last edited by BigHouseUSA; 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM.
                    Originally posted by mgoblue2290
                    If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                      Tiote!
                      • Mar 2009

I just find every time I watch Arsenal/United/Chelsea play Bolton, Jussi is the guy that makes it a 2-0 game instead of a 7-0 thrashing. His shot stopping is immense, he doesn't struggle with crosses and he seems to have a good rapport with Cahill in front of him.

Comment

• Archer
                        Go the fuck outside
                        • Oct 2008

I just find every time I watch Arsenal/United/Chelsea play Bolton, Jussi is the guy that makes it a 2-0 game instead of a 7-0 thrashing. His shot stopping is immense, he doesn't struggle with crosses and he seems to have a good rapport with Cahill in front of him.
                        Well that's done for the year now. I feel bad for the guy possibly losing his England spot over such a freak thing

Comment

• davie
                          Hey, relax guy!
                          • Oct 2008

I suppose some people in here are excited at the thought of Marouane(sp?) Chamakh coming to make the best league ever possibly even better.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                            Tiote!
                            • Mar 2009

Just as excited as I was when Toni returned to Italy!

I used to think I had you figured out, but now you apparently just hate the Premier League. I guess I'll have to watch more Italian football, where the champ is all but crowned.

Comment

• Archer
                              Go the fuck outside
                              • Oct 2008

Just as excited as I was when Toni returned to Italy!

I used to think I had you figured out, but now you apparently just hate the Premier League. I guess I'll have to watch more Italian football, where the champ is all but crowned.
                              It's nothing new

Comment

• Archer
                                Go the fuck outside
                                • Oct 2008

Newcastle got raped by Derby tonight

FML. Horrible sports week so far

Comment

Working...