X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigHouseUSA
    Late to the party.
    • Jun 2009

But he has proven it, you cant hold a failur that happened to him at 7-10 years ago when he's proved it with Everton, and at the World/Confed Cup. Prem teams who saw firsthand what he did with Everton know that he's delivered, they don't need to expect anything.
    Originally posted by mgoblue2290
    If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BigHouseUSA
      But he has proven it, you cant hold a failur that happened to him at 7-10 years ago when he's proved it with Everton, and at the World/Confed Cup. Prem teams who saw firsthand what he did with Everton know that he's delivered, they don't need to expect anything.
      How much can you really claim his spell at Everton proved? He played in 13 matches, 10 of them in the Prem and 7 were starts. Is that undeniable proof of class or a good run of form? And again, playing well for the national side is not necessarily the same as performing well at the club level on a consistent basis. I'm sorry, I just don't see national team play and 13 matches at Everton as clear and obvious proof that he could walk into all but the very biggest clubs in Europe and immediately be an impact starter.

I'm not holding Bayer Leverkusen against him. But most of his career since then has been playing well against mostly mediocre opposition. He's had to spells recently at the top level - one successful (Everton) and one failure (Munich). So again, it comes to basing the assessment of his quality on his play against MLS competition, his national team play, and those 13 matches with Everton... That's why I am not convinced.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
        Late to the party.
        • Jun 2009

His past success combine with obvious skill is why I think he's good enough. And again, I didn't say impact starter. I said he can be an impact sub or solid starter for most CL teams. I'm not claiming anything outlandish here.

Like I said about Bayern, he played well throughout, it's just written as a failure. He was only brought into please Klinsmann, and by the ends of it he was about to fired and there was no way Donovan was going to brought back. But, if you watched the friendlies and league games he played in for them, it was a success.

Comment

• davie
          Hey, relax guy!
          • Oct 2008

Just clear up for me, what has he proven?

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
            Late to the party.
            • Jun 2009

He has the technical and physical skills to play at a top level.
            He can lead an average team against better competition (Spain, for one)
            He's not a cunt anymore, like he was in his earlier years, when he failed.
            He can play in the Premiership, and play well.

Comment

• 1ke
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
              • Mar 2009

I admire you BH for goin to war over this lol....I just disagree on some things. I can say flat out I would love to see Landon succeed on Europe. I think if anyone one person can do magic for America and soccer, its him. I dont think he realizes how important he is, at times.

Im just sayin, especially in this situation. Going to Citeh would be a nightmare. He would be the same players as Bellamy, and not still cant mess wit David Silva.

He is good, but I think you may be overrating him a bit, maybe im underrating him. But what I want to see first is him LEAD the Galaxy to a title, him missing the PK last year didnt help...but if he wins a title here, then I think i jets.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                Late to the party.
                • Jun 2009

I've mentioned before, I wouldn't like a move to City either. He disappears in that squad, no doubt about it.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                  The Greatest
                  • Feb 2009

Donovans biggest con is that he's an American.

If he was from any other country, most of you would have his balls shoved down your throats.

In other news...

Nice to sign World Cup players who aren't at the end of their career.

Comment

• Rudi
                    #CyCueto
                    • Nov 2008

I see you out there Donovan. Game tying goal tonight in the 90th minute. Galaxy are pretty tight

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by 1ke
                      I admire you BH for goin to war over this lol....I just disagree on some things. I can say flat out I would love to see Landon succeed on Europe. I think if anyone one person can do magic for America and soccer, its him. I dont think he realizes how important he is, at times.
                      I'm the same. I'm not doubting him because I want to see him fail. I'd love to see him to go a good sized European club and find success. That would help soccer in the US. Which I think directly helps soccer here in Canada.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                        The Greatest
                        • Feb 2009

Can anyone name active players who have 50 goals and 50 assists in international play?

Comment

• davie
                          Hey, relax guy!
                          • Oct 2008

He has the technical and physical skills to play at a top level.
                          He can lead an average team against better competition (Spain, for one)
                          He's not a cunt anymore, like he was in his earlier years, when he failed.
                          He can play in the Premiership, and play well.
                          Define top level? Are you saying he could be the Vladimir Smicer in the lucky 2005 Liverpool team? Is he the Gaizka Mendieta in Middlesbrough's League Cup year?

USA beat Spain in the nobody cares cup.

2 goals and 3 assists in the Premierleague from what I've read (1 and 1 vs Hull in a 5-1 home win). That's decent.

Originally posted by Prodigal Son

If he was from any other country, most of you would have his balls shoved down your throats.
                          His biggest con is that you and BigHouse are overrating him.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                            Late to the party.
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by davie
                            Define top level? Are you saying he could be the Vladimir Smicer in the lucky 2005 Liverpool team? Is he the Gaizka Mendieta in Middlesbrough's League Cup year?

USA beat Spain in the nobody cares cup.

2 goals and 3 assists in the Premierleague from what I've read (1 and 1 vs Hull in a 5-1 home win). That's decent.

His biggest con is that you and BigHouse are overrating him.
                            The only thing you're basing him on is his stats and maybe seeing him play, what 5 times? As someone who's seen him enough, there's no doubt in my mind he could be a solid player for most good teams. Please, watch him play instead of looking up numbers online.

Comment

• 1ke
                              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Prodigal Son

In other news...

Nice to sign World Cup players who aren't at the end of their career.

Originally posted by 1ke
                              I can say flat out I would love to see Landon succeed on Europe. I think if anyone one person can do magic for America and soccer, its him. I dont think he realizes how important he is, at times.

Comment

• davie
                                Hey, relax guy!
                                • Oct 2008

The only thing you're basing him on is his stats and maybe seeing him play, what 5 times? As someone who's seen him enough, there's no doubt in my mind he could be a solid player for most good teams. Please, watch him play instead of looking up numbers online.
                                I have 2 clear premierleague memories of Donovan - scoring the easy goal against Hull and missing a similar chance vs. another team that he obviously should have scored.

You're right I haven't watched him play a 100 2nd rate MLS games. The only reason Everton played him as much as they did though was because of the high number of injuries they had. A squad player on a Europa League team isn't what you're saying he is, the Champions League is a huge step up from that.

Comment

Working...