X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s@ppisgod
    No longer a noob
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
    Wrestling needs to look at how MMA builds fights.
    I never thought I'd thank Jim in this thread, but RybackRulez brings up a great point. I think of that every time I watch a UFC countdown show at 5 in the afternoon because Sportscenter is trash. They do a great job of selling the fight, even if it is going to be a one-sided or boring fight. They do a great job of selling each fighter, their history, why they're better, what they're coming off of in terms of wins/injuries, what's at stake. It's perfect, and 90% of the time, I walk away thinking "maybe I should order that." Even if it's not always a sale, it's a great selling pitch. The WWE can do that sometimes with their production values, but rarely give enough of a crap to. TNA could do that, especially given how highly thought of their Japan special was. But they're too stupid to put anything together.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
      No longer a noob
      • Apr 2011

Agreed, I wasn't able to see all of the build for that match but the short video package got the point home. These two guys don't like each other and want to beat the shit out of each other. Simple easy to book.
      It needs to be less about "not liking each other", because the people don't buy it 99% of the time. In the UFC, it's sold as both guys thinking they're better, wanting to prove it, or wanting to get a win back. Wrestling could sell those things equally well.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Wrestling could use some new blood in terms of creative.
        The Sting/Main Event Mafia reforming is a perfect example. So Sting comes out, cuts a promo on how no one had his back, so he's going to form a stable to get people he trusts to watch his back. But there was no one who had his back to begin with, so I'm a little confused with that one

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          It really should be that simple.

Regal vs Ohno, NXT
          There should be two baseline plot points for every wrestling storyline.

Bad guy hates good guy.
          Good guy or bad guy wants title.

FIN.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
            The Sting/Main Event Mafia reforming is a perfect example. So Sting comes out, cuts a promo on how no one had his back, so he's going to form a stable to get people he trusts to watch his back. But there was no one who had his back to begin with, so I'm a little confused with that one
            That came so far out of left field...its silly.

Firstly...the Main Event Mafia was a group of older wrestlers holding on to their spots against the young guys (basically, an even worse version of Millionaire's Club v. The New Blood in the end of days of WCW)...

Secondly...there is like one guy left from the original Main Event Mafia...Kurt Angle (IIRC, Samoa Joe was in on it later)...who wasn't there for Sting when he was getting beat down.

Thirdly...the other guys...Kevin Nash, Booker T, Scott Steiner...two are off to better things and the other has a ton of issues with Bischoff and Hogan.

Fourthly...a new "Main Event Mafia"?...uh...isn't that Aces and 8's? They dominate every fucking segment.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Speaking of Millionaire's Club v. The New Blood...

Remember this god awful Nitro?

IIRC, it was after a week or two break...and it was another "restart" of WCW.

They stripped all of the titles...and it was terrible.

Ric Flair goes HAM in the middle of the Nitro. Hilarious. Only for Big Poppa Pump to interrupt him. Expected results.

Good ol Shane Douglas.
              Last edited by LiquidLarry2GhostWF; 06-16-2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

I actually liked the base concept of Millionaire's Club vs New Blood, but the execution was horrendous on many levels.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                  I actually liked the base concept of Millionaire's Club vs New Blood, but the execution was horrendous on many levels.
                  I remember watching that Nitro and actually intrigued...they tried to jumpstart a ton of feuds. They had Mike Awesome take out Kevin Nash, Ric Flair v. Shane Douglas, Jeff Jarrett being pushed up the card (and I've always disliked Jarrett), IIRC, that Nitro also had Kidman call out Hogan...that's a pretty eventful Nitro.

Now...IIRC, that week's RAW was pretty shit, too, so I just tuned into this ep the whole way through...the initial concept was fine...it did try and spawn a ton of "new" and "fresh" matchups...

The PPV has Dallas Page v. Jarrett and Jarrett won the title after Kimberly turned on DDP. Steiner beat Sting for the US Title after a show long US Title Tourney. Shane Douglas and Buff the Stuff won the tag titles. Chris Candido won the Cruiserweight Title.

Also had a totally terrible MANCOW v. Jimmy Hart matchup that goes down as one of the WOAT All-Time matchups for me.

But really, this was the untimely demise of WCW though, this whole concept was the papoose-to-go for all involved. Nearly a year later...bye bye WCW.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                    War Hero
                    • May 2012

I think Punk is going over tonight.

Comment

• Leftwich
                      Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

I think Punk is going over tonight.
                      The Wyatt Family is gonna interfere in the match.

Originally posted by Tailback U
                      It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

KOTR 1998 script...cool

Comment

• Liquidrob
                          Izzy is a bum
                          • Feb 2009

Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

--John Klinger, 29, better known in Germany as Bad Bones, won TNA's on-line Gut Check challenge yesterday. The on-line voting had about 200 wrestlers who had received Gutcheck challenges at tryouts over the past several years. He had his fans in Germany started a campaign on Facebook and Twitter, as well as grassroots efforts to get non-wrestling fans to vote for him. Wrestlers in CZW and Big Japan Wrestling who knew him also posted to vote for him in England and Japanese. Most German web sites and Power Wrestling, the last remaining German wrestling magazine, also campaigned for him. This means he'll get a tryout on Impact. (thanks to Markus Gronemann)

Comment

• Liquidrob
                              Izzy is a bum
                              • Feb 2009

Cradle Pile Driver in MMA

Liquidrob's Top 10 Fighters Rankings

The 10 Fighters Who Changed The Game

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Liquidrob