X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
    Depends how you define best in the world. I mean Goldberg comes to mind although he was never the best worker at any point but he went from nothing into a huge rating drawing superstar.

The Rock went from midcard guy into the World Champion and a superstar in 1998.

Kurt Angle debuted and turned into a champion within 11 months but was never the top guy during that point.

Lesnar is the one that comes to mind pretty quickly. He was a top tier guy within 6 months.
    I guess what I meant was a guy without any real pedigree or hype or especially quality. Goldberg is close but like you mentioned, he was all gimmick.

Rock was pegged to be a star (obviously not as big), Angle had the Olympic background and was a natural while Brock had his push the day he was called up.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Sting 1988? I mean, he clearly had potential but was really a mid card guy when they bought out Watts. Similar, but Okada was well beneath that level.

I cant come up with anybody.

Comment

• FedEx227
        Delivers
        • Mar 2009

Yeah, I mean, those guys I mentioned were just the closest I could come up with. Not saying they were the same. Okada is in a class his own. Sting comes really close.
        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          Highwayman
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          Sting 1988? I mean, he clearly had potential but was really a mid card guy when they bought out Watts. Similar, but Okada was well beneath that level.

I cant come up with anybody.
          The only off-color name I can think of is Diamond Dallas Page in 1996? But I would have never considered him to be best in the world, he was a star, though...he went from mope to star pretty quickly especially when he was that guy to give the nWo a comeuppance.

Sting is a tough one...I put Sting in a similar category as Angle, Lesnar, and the Rock in that...he was on his way to being a top guy eventually...

It is really hard to find a guy that goes from mope to star in the span of a year...I think DDP follows a similar pattern, but not quite to the level Okada is.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Decent little promo here by Gargano for this weekend.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Gabe needs to shit or get off the pot with this story. The booking in DGUSA/EVOLVE has been nothing special, and while I like this story, Davis either needs to kill this guy once and for all, or Gargano needs to move on to something else. The problem, is I think they are building this to blow off at WrestleCon.

I hope Gabe has something decent up his sleeve.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                War Hero
                • May 2012

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by FedEx227
                  Yeah, I mean, those guys I mentioned were just the closest I could come up with. Not saying they were the same. Okada is in a class his own. Sting comes really close.
                  The character of Ryback had a meteoric rise, but that was a result of WWE's bad booking and a decision made out of necessity. But he was not over like the other guys mentioned here.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                    The character of Ryback had a meteoric rise, but that was a result of WWE's bad booking and a decision made out of necessity. But he was not over like the other guys mentioned here.
                    Ryback lacks the ring work element Empire added. He's looking for a guy who not only became a star out of nowhere, but also became a great wrestler.

Also, it appears Ryback has officially lost steam. Shocking, I know.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

Ryback lacks the ring work element Empire added. He's looking for a guy who not only became a star out of nowhere, but also became a great wrestler.

Used up the momentum he had, and tossed him away from the main event. Maybe have him eliminate a third of the Rumble and you can get that steam back, but it was stupid for them to push him when they did.

Anyway, I get your point. There aren't many guys like Empire mentioned- the Ryback mention was grasping at straws anyway. Just proves his point.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                        Highwayman
                        • Feb 2009

Okada is such a rare case..really, there are only half cases or guys that get to a certain point.

I think DDP is the closest you'll find...but he was never the best in the world in the ring, although, he greatly improved. Working with Mach, Benoit, and Raven yielded very good matches...drug Goldberg to perhaps Goldberg's best match...

Became a top face of WCW.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

They ran into a big problem with Ryback...they put him up against The Shield...

Great way to get Ryback out of the title picture...but, you don't want Ryback or The Shield to have the other go over.

Meanwhile, The Shield just kicks the shit out of everyone.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

Ryback isn't really that over. He never really was. I think they realize that now. They tried catching lightning in a bottle, it almost worked, but he's very limited and we can make cracks at the WWE working standards all day long, but there is a standard of work in that company and Ryback doesn't come close to meeting it.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                              War Hero
                              • May 2012

Ryback isn't really that over. He never really was. I think they realize that now. They tried catching lightning in a bottle, it almost worked, but he's very limited and we can make cracks at the WWE working standards all day long, but there is a standard of work in that company and Ryback doesn't come close to meeting it.
                              He's kinda over with the kids.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                                War Hero
                                • May 2012

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
                                Would the next slide on this be "I was going to fuck Kelly Kelly But then I got high."

Comment

Working...