X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BRUCE80
    Tradition Football
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
    Yet TNA let's the medical expenses run wild for broken down Hogan...how can they not cover medical for guys that wrestle for them...ill admit not understanding how that part of the business works...just seems very strange.

Does WWE provide medical coverage for their wrestlers or is it expected industry wide that these guys cover themselves?

Comment

• SuperKevin
      War Hero
      • Dec 2009

Well guys like Zema Ion don't really have full contracts with TNA. Most of them are paid per appearance. If you're going to demand TNA pays his bills why don't you demand the indy promotion in West Virginia that he appeared at twice as often pays as well

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BRUCE80
        Does WWE provide medical coverage for their wrestlers or is it expected industry wide that these guys cover themselves?
        WWE covers anything that happens while the guys are working.

Anything else is essentially on a case-by-case basis as far as significant things, we can assume WWE would help out in some regard (if a guy was diagnosed with a serious illness for example that was not related to work). They cover alcohol/drug rehab for those who are willing to go, and that's for anyone who has ever worked for them, too.

TNA is a different beast because like other mentioned, they dont have the ability to throw money around like WWE does. With that said, they've got some bad PR in the past for things like apparently going back on a promise to help pay for Konnan's hip replacement (a lawsuit was settled and TNA ended up giving him money). Or, they gave Ron Killings money for surgery when he was hurt on a show they booked, then they came back and requested the money back, while Scott Steiner's medical bills were taken care of in full when he was hurt.

Just some shady stuff over the years.

As for indy groups, I guess others can attest better (Biss?) but I'll assume those guys are out of luck even if they get hurt on a show.

Comment

• BRUCE80
          Tradition Football
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SuperKevin
          Well guys like Zema Ion don't really have full contracts with TNA. Most of them are paid per appearance. If you're going to demand TNA pays his bills why don't you demand the indy promotion in West Virginia that he appeared at twice as often pays as well
          I'm not demanding anything, I admit not really understanding how that works, not sure where that came from...just seems strange that in a business where their bodies take a beating that medical coverage isn't standard.

I would guess the premium for something like this would be massively expensive....maybe the big name guys negotiate medical coverage as part of their deals...

Thanks Empire that makes sense, hurt while wrestling covered....other stuff not so much.

Would be great for someone who knows to explain how that side of it works.

Comment

• SuperKevin
            War Hero
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by BRUCE80
            I'm not demanding anything, I admit not really understanding how that works, not sure where that came from...just seems strange that in a business where their bodies take a beating that medical coverage isn't standard.

I would guess the premium for something like this would be massively expensive....maybe the big name guys negotiate medical coverage as part of their deals...

Thanks Empire that makes sense, hurt while wrestling covered....other stuff not so much.

Would be great for someone who knows to explain how that side of it works.
            Wasn't saying you in general. The outrage on Twitter for TNA to pay up has been big

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by SuperKevin
              Wasn't saying you in general. The outrage on Twitter for TNA to pay up has been big
              Probably because it's the right thing to do.

No, legally they aren't on the hook, but $30k isn't a ton of money for the Carter family and this is a person who puts their body on the line every night for them.

Now, when people get hurt inside the ring in TNA, and they refuse to pay, that's bullshit. If they want to be a big boy company, behave like one.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

Pretty cool video of a guy who has gone from being considered very good to being elevated to legit all time legend over the last year or so.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                    No longer a noob
                    • Apr 2011

TNA is in a tough spot. If they start paying for everyone's medical bills, they could well go belly-up. But it's hard to argue for them when they have covered their higher-priced wrestlers well over the years, and anyone else was SOL. I think it goes back to being Dixie's money, and instead of it being a business decision, she turns it into a personal decision. That's the book on her anyway. She's a mark (god, I fucking hate using that word), a poor business woman, and an idiot. So Hogan needs another surgery, she'll foot the bill. She's a big Hogan fan. Ion or Konnan needs more serious medical help and they're out on their own. Tough luck, should have been a bigger deal in the 80's and 90's....

Comment

• EmpireWF
                      Giants in the Super Bowl
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
                      TNA is in a tough spot. If they start paying for everyone's medical bills, they could well go belly-up. But it's hard to argue for them when they have covered their higher-priced wrestlers well over the years, and anyone else was SOL. I think it goes back to being Dixie's father's money, and instead of it being a business decision, she turns it into a personal decision. That's the book on her anyway. She's a mark (god, I fucking hate using that word), a poor business woman, and an idiot. So Hogan needs another surgery, she'll foot the bill. She's a big Hogan fan. Ion or Konnan needs more serious medical help and they're out on their own. Tough luck, should have been a bigger deal in the 80's and 90's....

fixed.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                        Giants in the Super Bowl
                        • Mar 2009

And what's this about?

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                          War Hero
                          • May 2012

WWE’s new head writer Adam Rudman has already parted ways with World Wrestling Entertainment. Rudman lasted only six weeks with the company after replacing Eric Pankowski, who left the company prior to WrestleMania.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                            Pretty cool video of a guy who has gone from being considered very good to being elevated to legit all time legend over the last year or so.

The Japanese Shawn Michaels.

All-Time Great.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                              2011 Poster Of The Year
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              The Japanese Shawn Michaels.

All-Time Great.
                              I still pop for Minoru Suzuki aaaalmooooossssst hitting the Gotch Piledriver, and even though I know he doesn't, I still hope for it.

That match totally consumed me.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

Wrestling’s youngest 14-year veteran, TJ Perkins, joins Joe & Rich on the Voices of Wrestling podcast for a nearly two hour interview. The guys take TJ through his career, from being a teenager skipping class to sneak over the border to Tijuana for bookings, training in the New Japan L.A. dojo, his surreal first tour with New Japan, the genesis of the PUMA gimmick, the on and off nature of his TNA relationship and whether he would like to work there full time, why his latest ROH run ended, the story behind his split from Evolve & his relationship with Gabe Sapolsky, walking on eggshells in the WWE locker room, working tryout & dark matches for WWE, some NBA TALK, why he never stays in one place for very long, his upcoming two out of three falls match against ACH for St Louis Anarchy, and more. This is a two hour interview that could have went twice as long, and we still would have had things to talk about. Perkins is an open book, and has great some great insight, so just click play and listen to this great interview with one of the top freelancers on the planet!

Wrestling's youngest 14-year veteran, TJ Perkins, joins Joe & Rich on the Voices of Wrestling podcast for a nearly two hour interview. The guys take TJ through his career, from being a teenager skipping class to sneak over the border to Tijuana for bookings, training in the New Japan L.A. dojo, his surreal first tour with New Japan, the genesis of the PUMA gimmick, the on and off nature of his TNA relationship and whether he would like to work there full time, why his latest ROH run ended, the story behind his split from Evolve & his relationship with Gabe Sapolsky, walking on eggshells in the WWE locker room, working tryout & dark matches for WWE, some NBA TALK, why he never stays in one place for very long, his upcoming two out of three falls match against ACH for St Louis Anarchy, and more. This is a two hour interview that could have went twice as long, and we still would have had things to talk about. Perkins is an open book, and has great some great insight, so just click play and listen to this great interview with one of the top freelancers on the planet!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm putting this here because I know some of you guys don't go into our podcast thread, because we don't really focus on WWE all that much. But I think anybody who follows wrestling would enjoy this one.

Perkins tells some great stories about the backstage climate in WWE, and his story of going from being a 14-year old who used to skip school to sneak off to Tijuana to working the Tokyo Dome a couple of years later, and now having worked in just about every major promotion in the world, is pretty engaging stuff. We're really proud of this one.

Comment

Working...