X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s@ppisgod
    No longer a noob
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
    There have never been less overall people watching wrestling on a weekly basis on TV & at arenas in the United States/Canada then there have been since the territories died, and then WCW.

Is it too late to get all of those lost viewers back? Do they even exist anymore?
    It's too late. They've moved on, and even if there was a promotion that was EXACTLY what they were looking for, it would need to establish itself for years. WCW killed off it's fanbase even before it closed, and those people are unlikely to ever come back. My own backyard, St. Louis, used to be an NWA hotbed and it's been in decline for the past 30 years. People are moving on, and any movement, especially by a secondary brand, to regain some foothold in certain markets faces a steep, steep uphill battle.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

When you really break it down, Vince didn't grow the wrestling business at all, all he really did was monopolize the marketplace. He drove off more audience than he attracted. The overall pool of people who watch & go to wrestling is significantly smaller now. He grew his own business, but his personal vision of what wrestling is, is far less popular than wrestling ever was in the past. More people liked wrestling pre WWF going national, by incredibly large numbers.

Maybe if somebody else had gone national first or won one of the wars, wrestling would be more popular. Because somebody was going to win, make no mistake. It wasnt staying regional. Unfortunately, it was Vince.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

When you really break it down, Vince didn't grow the wrestling business at all, all he really did was monopolize the marketplace. He drove off more audience than he attracted. The overall pool of people who watch & go to wrestling is significantly smaller now. He grew his own business, but his personal vision of what wrestling is, is far less popular than wrestling ever was in the past. More people liked wrestling pre WWF going national, by incredibly large numbers.

Maybe if somebody else had gone national first or won one of the wars, wrestling would be more popular. Because somebody was going to win, make no mistake. It wasnt staying regional. Unfortunately, it was Vince.
        All of that is true.

I read something a while ago, basically said the wrestling market today is 10% of what it was at its peak.

Comment

• FedEx227
          Delivers
          • Mar 2009

The issue is two-fold. All those older wrestling fans are gone and likely will never come back, they've moved onto other sports or just don't care anymore.

The other issue is any newer fans in the hopper don't know what "smart" wrestling is. I'm 26 and since I was 10 all I've known is "SPORTS-ENTERTAINMENT"/crash-TV/backstage segment style mainstream wrestling. Granted, I branched out when I was in middle school discovered old tapes, discovered the indies and recently discovered Japan but I'm a rare case. People my age or younger simply don't know any other wrestling than the one Vince McMahon has presented over the past 16 years. That's why I just can't imagine a smart wrestling promotion would work.
          VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

"Smart" wrestling could work...it needs a network to carry it though. It'll never get big enough as a grassroots company. It'll have to be something someone has faith enough in to take and put on TV. If its good, I think TV has been a marketplace where...if its good and given time to gain an audience, it'll succeed.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone footing the bill or giving it a chance to get moving in 2014 nationally...but I think it could work. The WWE just has such a huge piece of the pie and won't let anyone dig in to even share some viewership at this point so very few TV guys will ever be willing to give a wrestling promotion a real chance especially when the one company that does have that chance gets pretty shitty ratings. I just think its a market TV guys see as owned and operated by one company and everyone else is fighting for table scraps and its not a good deal to get into.

The wrestling market is as small as ever, but the WWE has nearly ALL of it, and is doing just fine financially as a result, but no one else in the 'States really is.

The older fans that were territory guys or even WCW guys, will never come back at this point. But, there is a sect of "casual" fans that can be captured in a right place, right time scenario...I mean, lets be honest...you get a million+ people to buy WrestleMania every year...there is a sect of casual fans still out there that is willing to come back.

Comment

• FedEx227
              Delivers
              • Mar 2009

The "hipster" wrestling fan is emerging a bit more in recent years and that's cool but it seems they are content supporting a few of the niche products and IF there was a company as you said with solid financial footing and major TV, they would support it as well. However, by the time that ever happens, that niche or subset of fans will likely be gone or move onto something new.
              VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Mark Cuban took a liking to wrestling a few years back, but nothing came of it. There's a dude with money, business sense, and a background in running a sports franchise and dealing with TV people and even running a network.

I would take him seriously if he got involved in something because I don't think he'd be a typical money mark or fall for carny bullshit like the Carter's do.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Mark Cuban took a liking to wrestling a few years back, but nothing came of it. There's a dude with money, business sense, and a background in running a sports franchise and dealing with TV people and even running a network.

I would take him seriously if he got involved in something because I don't think he'd be a typical money mark or fall for carny bullshit like the Carter's do.
                  Cuban will take a liking to ANYTHING that could potentially have more money attached to it. I mean, have you seen him on Shark Tank? He's even willing to take on niche items to try and make money off them if he sees it.

Unfortunately, pontificating here for a moment...perhaps Cuban's interest was only short lived because once he did some research he realized there isn't much of a market and there isn't enough of a share to make significant money by investing in the product...

Just a thought.

Comment

• FedEx227
                    Delivers
                    • Mar 2009

Guys, lets go on Shark Tank and pitch a wrestling company. We already have a booker in the fold, press, marketing, everything.

What's your current revenue?

Well, zero and we'll definitely lose money for awhile before we even sniff a payday.

GREAT, I'M IN!
                    VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                      Beautiful Like Moses
                      • Oct 2008

LOL this Steph and Dusty promo from last night is just painful to watch. I remember Stephanie being bad, but not this bad.. good lord.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                        Highwayman
                        • Feb 2009

Have they given the Daniel Bryan knee to the face a real name yet or is the official name "THE MOVE THAT BEAT CENA"?

/Please don't let it be the YES! Knee.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bob Kuzzy
                          LOL this Steph and Dusty promo from last night is just painful to watch. I remember Stephanie being bad, but not this bad.. good lord.
                          She is a putrid promo.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

So, Mickie James' contract expired in TNA...they at least got the title off her in time. Mickie James is not expected to re-sign.

Comment

• krulmichael
                              STRAAAAANGE MUSIC!
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              So, Mickie James' contract expired in TNA...they at least got the title off her in time. Mickie James is not expected to re-sign.
                              She should come back to the E. Always been one of my favorite ”divas”. A feud between her and AJ could be great.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Twitch Channel
                              http://www.twitch.tv/krulmichael20

Season I: 10-6 (NFC North Champions)
                              Season II: 9-7 (NFC North Champions)
                              Season III: 13-3 (NFC Champions)
                              Season IV: 11-5 (NFC North Champions)
                              Season V: 2-1

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                                Highwayman
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by krulmichael
                                She should come back to the E. Always been one of my favorite ”divas”. A feud between her and AJ could be great.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
                                I can't imagine the WWE being interested...she was a world of problems...

Comment

Working...