X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • padman59
    Slayer of Demons
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
    There never seems to be any deals on PSN cards (or Wii cards for that matter) because they are actual dollar values, whereas M$ uses their funny money/space bucks/carnival ticket points there is some leeway in pricing. Because of that you will occasionally find deals.
    Yup. I haven't noticed a sale on PSN cards ever. This is definitely the advantage of using an artificial currency in the xbox marketplace.

Comment

• Twigg4075
      Kindergarten Cop
      • Feb 2009

I have to also wonder how much this is hurting developers. I know people have mentioned how this is definitely affecting Zipper with SOCOM 4, because it is mostly an online game and released just days before this outage.

But I also heard on the CAGcast that there was a Japanese fighting game that released the same Tuesday that MK released (not sure wtf they were thinking) for $30 and it was a DIGITAL ONLY release on the PS store. That has to suck balls.

And to clarify, what are we getting again? A month of PS+ and what else? I sure they don't take the MS route and just give us a game that they pick because chances are I already have the game.

Comment

• padman59
        Slayer of Demons
        • Mar 2009

SOE's press release:

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES
        THEFT OF DATA FROM ITS SYSTEMS
        Breach Believed to Stem From Initial Criminal Hack of SOE
        Tokyo, May 3, 2011 – Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment announced today that their ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE, the company) systems revealed yesterday morning (May 2, Tokyo time) that hackers may have stolen SOE customer information on April 16th and 17th, 2011 (PDT). SOE is based in San Diego, California, U.S.A. This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007. The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain. With the current outage of the PlayStation® Network and Qriocity™ services and the ongoing investigation into the recent attacks, SOE had also undertaken an intensive investigation into its system. Upon discovery of this additional information, the company promptly shut down all servers related to SOE services while continuing to review and upgrade all of its online security systems in the face of these unprecedented cyber-attacks. On May 1, Sony apologized to its customers for the inconvenience caused by its network services outages. The company is working with the FBI and continuing its own full investigation while working to restore all services. Sony is making this disclosure as quickly as possible after the discovery of the theft, and the company has posted information on its website and will send e-mails to all consumers whose data may have been stolen. The personal information of the approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts that was illegally obtained, to the extent it had been provided to SOE, is as follows: · name · address · e-mail address · birthdate · gender · phone number · login name · hashed password. In addition to the information above, the 10,700 direct debit records from accounts in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain, include: · bank account number · customer name · account name · customer address. SOE will grant customers 30 days of additional time on their subscriptions, in addition to compensating them one day for each day the system is down. It is also in the process of outlining a "make good" plan for its PlayStation®3 MMOs (DC Universe Online and Free Realms). More information will be released this week. Additionally, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region. Sony Online Entertainment LLC (SOE) has been a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games since 1999. Best known for its blockbuster hits and franchises, including EverQuest®, EverQuest® II, Champions of Norrath®, PlanetSide®, Free Realms®, Clone Wars Adventures™, and DC Universe Online™, SOE creates, develops and provides compelling online entertainment for virtually all platforms, including the PlayStation®3 Computer Entertainment System, Personal Computer, mobile and social networks. SOE is building on its proven legacy and pioneering the future of the interactive entertainment space through creative development and inspired gameplay design for audiences of all ages. To learn more, visit www.soe.com .

So another 25 million personal records for SOE customers (DCUO, Everquest, etc.) compromised as well as 12,700 credit card numbers and 10,700 debit transactions from customers outside of the U.S. from a 2007 database.

I have to also wonder how much this is hurting developers. I know people have mentioned how this is definitely affecting Zipper with SOCOM 4, because it is mostly an online game and released just days before this outage.

But I also heard on the CAGcast that there was a Japanese fighting game that released the same Tuesday that MK released (not sure wtf they were thinking) for $30 and it was a DIGITAL ONLY release on the PS store. That has to suck balls.

And to clarify, what are we getting again? A month of PS+ and what else? I sure they don't take the MS route and just give us a game that they pick because chances are I already have the game.
        A month of PS+ and Qriocity as well as an uspecified game yet to be determined for each region. I'd prefer a credit toward a purchase of my decision TBH.

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
          Shoot, even eight months to a year of PS+ would be better than just a month- at least that way it doesn't seem as much like a way for them to get people to test it and buy it. Thats my issue with it. Or even the ability to download a current game to own, with a choice of 10 or so titles- that would be fair (note that I do not know if that is possible on PS3, as I do not play online or use the store.)
          I think 3 months would've been a lot more appropriate. Don't they sell the subs in like 3, 6 and 12 months? One month is pretty much bullshit when we are coming up on two weeks of outage anyway. For people without PS+ already it's not as much of an issue though.

It reminds me too much of when my 360 breaks (which happens a little more than once per year) and I have to send it in for repairs. From ship out to return the whole process usually takes around two weeks. They give me a one month Live card for my "troubles". Really? So you're basically giving me a whole TWO WEEKS for free?!? Oh, thank you so much almighty M$! What is that the equivalent of? $2.50? You are so gracious! Fucking assholes.

God forbid you try to call and complain because you end up trying to talk to the cast from Outsourced who just read their generic responses from a manual.

Comment

• Twigg4075
            Kindergarten Cop
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by padman59
            A month of PS+ and Qriocity as well as an uspecified game yet to be determined for each region. I'd prefer a credit toward a purchase of my decision TBH.
            This is pissing me off more and more. So two weeks of PS+ (a month minus the two weeks the service has been down) and a game of their choosing, ala Undertow? And let me guess, they probably don't even have a plan in place for people that already own this mystery game? So instead of those people getting the value of the game credited to their wallet they will probably just be screwed. Fuck off Sony.

Comment

• JayDizzle
              Let's Go All The Way...
              • Nov 2008

They can't exactly individualize special prizes for everyone Twigg.

Not saying blanket discounts are the best way to go nor is just getting PSN up without compensation for those who paid for PS+ but for the majority public, it's better than nothing.

Comment

• DDRGuido
                gx
                • Feb 2009

Come Wednesday evening I'm trading in my all Sony products for a 360 and XBL. I want to game online damnit.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                  Kindergarten Cop
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JayDizzle
                  They can't exactly individualize special prizes for everyone Twigg.

Not saying blanket discounts are the best way to go nor is just getting PSN up without compensation for those who paid for PS+ but for the majority public, it's better than nothing.
                  A shit sandwich is better than nothing, but that doesn't make it appropriate compensation.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                    Let's Go All The Way...
                    • Nov 2008

A shit sandwich is better than nothing, but that doesn't make it appropriate compensation.
                    So what would you want, Twigg?

Comment

• QuietStorm
                      11/15/13
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DDRGuido
                      Come Wednesday evening I'm trading in my all Sony products for a 360 and XBL. I want to game online damnit.
                      Man, I have a 360 but I don't play it. I played the Gears beta a couple times this week, but I want my Socom 4 back. Plus I miss playing my league games in Madden.
                      Twitch Channel

Comment

• Point Blank
                        Needs a hobby
                        • Oct 2008

Im trying to play some fucking Socom man!

Comment

• Spidey
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by padman59
                          Passwords were hashed, not plain text. So, anyone who took them still has/had work to do in order to break it.

EDIT: Sony is also claiming that the rumor about stolen credit cards being offered back to them is false.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...curity-update/
                          I stand corrected.

Comment

• MrBill
                            Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
                            • Feb 2009

Sony's networks hacked again

The whole online gaming thing isn't working out so good for Sony these days. Their PC gaming network was hacked in the past few days and over 25 million customers have had their data compromised.

Bill Gates is somewhere masturbating

Sony says 25 million more users at risk in second data hack

* Sony says personal information hacked on PC games system

* Says personal information of 24.6 mln users stolen

* Says debit card records for 10,700 users in Europe taken

* Facebook games also suspended

* Japan mkts shut, shares down 4 pct since revealing breach

(Recasts, adds TOKYO dateline, Sony comment from Tokyo)

By Isabel Reynolds and Liana B. Baker

TOKYO/NEW YORK, May 3 (Reuters) - Sony's Internet security crisis deepened on Monday with the company revealing hackers had stolen data of another 25 million users of its PC games system in a second massive breach for the consumer electronics giant.

Sony's latest revelation comes just a day after Sony No. 2 Kazuo Hirai announced measures had been put in place to avert another cyberattack like that which hit its PlayStation Network, hoping to repair its tarnished image and reassure customers who might be pondering a shift to Microsoft's Xbox.

The attack that Sony disclosed on Monday took place a day before a massive break-in of a separate video game network that led to the theft of 77 million users accounts. Sony revealed the initial attack last week.

The Japanese electronics company said it discovered the break-in of its Sony Online Entertainment PC games network on May 2. The breach also led to the theft of 10,700 direct debit records from customers in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain and 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers, it said.

The PlayStation network lets video game console owners download games and play against friends. The Sony Online Entertainment network, the victim of the latest break-in, hosts games played over the Internet on PCs.

Sony said late on Monday that the names, addresses, emails, birth dates phone numbers and other information from 24.6 million PC games customers was stolen from its servers as well as an "outdated database" from 2007.

A spokesman for the online games unit based in San Diego said the service was taken down at 1:30 am Pacific time on Monday.

Sony spokeswoman Sue Tanaka, asked about the risk other data could be at risk, listed the precautions that the company has taken such as firewalls,

"They are hackers. We don't know where they're going to attack next," Tokyo-based Tanaka said.

The PlayStation Network incident has sparked legal action and investigations by authorities in North America and Europe, home to almost 90 percent of the users of the network, which enables gamers to download software and compete with other members.

On Monday, Sony declined to testify in person in front of a U.S. congressional hearing, but agreed to respond to questions on how consumer private data is protected by businesses in a letter on Tuesday, said a spokesman for Rep. Mary Bono Mack, a Republican Congresswoman from California, who is leading the hearing.

SONY FACEBOOK GAMES DOWN

The incident that Sony disclosed on Monday also forced it to suspend its Sony Online Entertainment games on Facebook.

Sony posted a message on Facebook saying it had to take down the games during the night.

A Sony spokesman said the Facebook games make money from microtransactions and the sale of virtual goods like costumes and weapons.

It was not immediately clear if the data theft included data from players of Sony games including "PoxNora," "Dungeon Overlord," "Wildlife Refuge" on Facebook.

Facebook could not immediately be reached for comment.

Sony Online Entertainment is a division of Sony Corp , the global electronics company that operates online games such as "EverQuest" and is separate from the PlayStation video game console division.

The servers for both the Online Entertainment unit and the PlayStation Network are based in San Deigo but are completely separate, said Sony's Tanaka.

Sony denied on its official PlayStation blog on Monday that hackers had tried to sell it a list of millions of credit card numbers.

The news comes less than a week after Sony alerted customers that a hacker broke into Sony's PlayStation video game network and stole names, addresses, passwords and possibly credit card numbers of its 77 million customers.

Sony alerted customers a week after discovering the break-in.

Sony executives apologized on Sunday and said it would gradually restart the PlayStation Network with increased security and would offer some free content to users. [ID:nL3E7G101C] (Additional reporting by Edwin Chan in Los Angeles and Alexei Oreskovic in San Francisco; Editing by Andre Grenon, Richard Chang and Lincoln Feast)

Comment

• tigstah
                              Mr. Casual Gamer
                              • Mar 2009

i think i will sell my ps3......this is beginning to be a trend.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                                Probably owns the site
                                • Feb 2009

God dammit.

Comment

Working...