Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Primetime
    Thank You Prince
    • Nov 2008

People paid for the PS3 for the use of PSN though. You can't take that out of the question. That's like buying a TV and the satellite they promised would come with it goes out and your only able to watch basic cable.

Comment

• PP
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Primetime232
      People paid for the PS3 for the use of PSN though. You can't take that out of the question. That's like buying a TV and the satellite they promised would come with it goes out and your only able to watch basic cable.
      Except hackers compromised the network and Sony has to rebuild it which takes time and eventually PSN will be back up.

Let us try to use math to figure this out. If the PS3 is on a 10 year life cycle like Sony wants, you take 365(days in a year) X 10 (lifecycle) and divide it by the cost of the ps3 299. which comes into about 8 cents a day for 10 years for ps3. Obviously the numbers change a little bit depending on when you bought your console but this should put into perspective for the people talking about reimbursement and how they bought PS3 for PSN blah blah and it is included into the PS3 price. So if the ps3 is worth about 8 cents a day how much of that is the PSN price? If you use this math to factor in a month without PS3 ( meaning you dont play pS3 because psn is down) you should only be reimbursed 2.40$

disclaimer: I am terrible at math and did this quick but I think it kind of puts the value into perspective a little bit better for people no?

Comment

• MrBill
        Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by KNUBB
        WHAT MONEY!!!!! The PSN is a free service and no one is putting money into said service. Any money spent was put into a GAME SYSTEM. Nothing else.
        You are right in that Sony doesn't charge you for PSN but I can tell you with a 99% level of confidence that Sony was not running PSN out of their profit margin. The costs for operating PSN are probably baked into the cost model for every PS3, game and accessory sold today. Nothing is free.

Comment

• Primetime
          Thank You Prince
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by PP
          Except hackers compromised the network and Sony has to rebuild it which takes time and eventually PSN will be back up.
          What does that have to do with what I said?

Let us try to use math to figure this out. If the PS3 is on a 10 year life cycle like Sony wants, you take 365(days in a year) X 10 (lifecycle) and divide it by the cost of the ps3 299. which comes into about 8 cents a day for 10 years for ps3. Obviously the numbers change a little bit depending on when you bought your console but this should put into perspective for the people talking about reimbursement and how they bought PS3 for PSN blah blah and it is included into the PS3 price. So if the ps3 is worth about 8 cents a day how much of that is the PSN price? If you use this math to factor in a month without PS3 ( meaning you dont play pS3 because psn is down) you should only be reimbursed 2.40$
          The value of PSN isn't monetary in this sense. People don't want to be reimbursed for it, they just want the product they paid for. Saying it isn't a big deal because you don't pay extra for the service is just very off-base. It's a big deal whether you've paid extra for it or not.

Comment

• KNUBB
            WHITE RONDO
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MrBill
            You are right in that Sony doesn't charge you for PSN but I can tell you with a 99% level of confidence that Sony was not running PSN out of their profit margin. The costs for operating PSN are probably baked into the cost model for every PS3, game and accessory sold today. Nothing is free.
            Until about 2 years ago the PSN was relatively unknown and a joke. With Sony selling the PS3 at a loss I am pretty sure most of the operating costs is either coming from software or out of pocket.

Comment

• spiker
              Beast mode
              • Apr 2011

Anyone who was wishing for a revenge hack-attack got theirs today. AnonOps website has been attacked in what this article describes as a "hacktivist coup d'etat".

Comment

• Sean
                No longer a noob
                • Nov 2008

does anyone here except Twigg use Playstation + ?

also, what exactly does that give you?

Comment

• KNUBB
                  WHITE RONDO
                  • Jun 2009

Hacker civil war commencing

Comment

• KNUBB
                    WHITE RONDO
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Sean

I had it, but I took my card off the PSN before any of this went down and my subscription ran out, but PS+ gives you access to betas, they give you a PSN content in every update, discounts all over the store, .etc

Comment

• PP
                      • Feb 2010

What does that have to do with what I said?

The value of PSN isn't monetary in this sense. People don't want to be reimbursed for it, they just want the product they paid for. Saying it isn't a big deal because you don't pay extra for the service is just very off-base. It's a big deal whether you've paid extra for it or not.
                      If there is no monetary value then why are people requesting reimbursement!?

Comment

• PP
                        • Feb 2010

go to IGN.com and check out their IS PSN+ worth it segments. I have it and its worth it.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                          Kindergarten Cop
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by PP
                          You do realize that article is dated May 2nd? And it doesn't say anything that has been said for about a week already. Sony has already said that it expects most of it's PSN (online gaming) features to be up this week and some other things (PS store) to be up later.

Comment

• Primetime
                            Thank You Prince
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by PP
                            If there is no monetary value then why are people requesting reimbursement!?
                            I haven't seen anybody in this thread talk about reimbursement unless it was for a subscription they paid for extra.

Comment

• PP
                              • Feb 2010

I haven't seen anybody in this thread talk about reimbursement unless it was for a subscription they paid for extra.
                              It is somewhere. I am not going back through the thread though.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                                Kindergarten Cop
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sean

There are a ton of people on my friends list that have it. I know padman has it but without the list in front of me I can't remember who else.

You get auto-downloads of game updates/patches. Most people, myself included, think updates for PS3 games are a joke and take fucking forever. Sop it's nice that the system automatically does this while your PS3 is in sleep mode. When you turn it on you get a message of what games were patched.

Most importantly you get free and discounted games. Every week you get some free game, whether it's Stacking or Sonic the Hedgehog. You also get discounts on tons of shit. I think the discounts are minimum 25%. When Dungeon Hunter came out I got it for about $10 when others paid $13 or $14.

Comment

Working...