Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strahanfan92
    Meat
    • Aug 2009

PlayStation Network: Here's The Official Letter Sony Sent to Publishing Partners [Exclusive]

PlayStation Network has been down for more than three weeks, and publishers and developers have stated that they're losing money. What's not clear is what Sony's doing to compensate its partners. Sony wasn't willing to comment on that to IndustryGamers, but we've managed to obtain through one of our reliable industry sources, the exact letter that Rob Dyer, SVP of Publisher Relations, has sent out to publishing and development partners (see below).

Our source indicates that he just received it yesterday, and if that is indeed the first major communication to partners, it's pretty poor on Sony's part. Not only that, but the letter is barely a step above the lackluster communication Sony's had with its own customers. And there's no mention whatsoever in this letter that Sony has plans to help out or compensate its partners for the PSN downtime. Frankly, if we were working with Sony as a publishing or development partner right now, we'd expect a lot better than this.

If you're in the industry and have any further PSN insider info, we'd love to hear from you. Don't hesitate to contact us. Here's the full letter.

_ _

Dear Partner:

As you know, certain PlayStation Network, Qriocity and Sony Online Entertainment service user account information was compromised in criminal attacks against our networks. I want to assure you, as a PlayStation partner, that it is Sony’s top priority to restore our network operations and see that business is returned to usual as soon as possible. We are working around the clock to restore service, but will do so only when we can ensure that the network can operate safely and securely. In the meantime, we greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill.

What Happened?

• On Tuesday, April 19, 2011, Sony discovered that several PlayStation Network servers unexpectedly rebooted themselves and that unplanned and unusual activity was taking place on the network. This activity triggered an immediate response.

• Sony mobilized a larger internal team to assist the investigation of the four suspect servers. That team discovered the first credible indications that an intruder had been in the PlayStation Network system, and six more servers were identified as possibly being compromised. Sony immediately decided to shut down all of the PlayStation Network services in order to prevent any additional damage.

• The scope and complexity of the investigation grew substantially as additional evidence about the attack developed.

• The forensic teams were able to confirm that intruders had used very sophisticated and aggressive techniques to obtain unauthorized access, hide their presence from system administrators and escalate privileges inside the servers. Among other things, the intruders deleted log files in order to hide the extent of their work and activity within the network.

• On Sunday May 1, using information uncovered by the forensic teams, engineers at Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) discovered that data had also been taken from their servers. They, too, shut down operations and on Monday, May 2, announced the discovery.

What Data Are Affected?

As you may know, personal data was stolen from approximately 77 million PlayStation network and Qriocity service accounts.

As of this writing, there remains no evidence that the credit card information was stolen and the major credit card companies are still reporting that they have not seen an increase in fraudulent transactions due to this event.

What Steps Are Being Taken?

We have taken aggressive action to give consumers peace of mind, protect them against the abuse of their data, and enhance our security systems moving forward.

We have already advised our consumers in the U.S. that we will offer complimentary identity theft protection services through a leading provider, including an insurance program of up to $1 million. Similar programs are being developed in other markets around the world.

In addition, Sony is taking a series of steps to enhance security of our network infrastructure. They include but are not limited to:

• adding additional automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks;

• enhanced levels of data protection and encryption, as well as additional penetration and vulnerability testing;

• enhanced capabilities to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns;

• implementation of additional firewalls;

• expediting a planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location with enhanced security; and

• appointment of a new Chief Information Security Officer.

Finally, to thank our customers for their patience and loyalty, we are offering them “welcome back” packages as soon as the networks are restored, including free downloads of selected PlayStation entertainment, 30 days of free service as well as service extensions for the number of days PSN and Qriocity services were unavailable, with similar benefits for Music Unlimited subscribers.

Looking Ahead

We of course deeply regret that this incident has occurred. We are working closely with the FBI to identify and apprehend the culprits who committed this crime against our consumers, our partners and our company. I know you can appreciate how widespread the problem of cybercrime is in society today. Although no company is immune, we are confident our consumer data will be protected by some of the best security measures available today.

As a valued partner we aim to keep the lines of communication open so that you are aware of our progress. Our focus has been to confirm the security of the networks, protect customer data and get the services back on line as quickly as possible. We will do our best to respond to all of your inquiries and we will do everything we possibly can to support you.

We are doing everything we can to bring these services back online as soon as possible. We will update you with more information as soon as we can, but please call your account executive if you have further questions. We thank you for your patience and look forward to moving ahead together in the months and years to come.

Very truly yours,

Rob Dyer

SVP, Publisher Relations

Comment

• hackett
      the dude abides
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BEROWSK
      Everybody knows I live off my mommy and daddy.
      Get a job.

Comment

• leaffan
        Colton Orr Fan
        • Feb 2009

They are hiring a new Chief Information Security Officer it says.

I wonder if my qualifications would be enough to apply. I know how to make paper airplanes and spin around in my chair all day. I have the added bonus of knowing how to use microsoft word which will probably be icing on the cake for those guys.

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

• padman59
          Slayer of Demons
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by leaffan
          They are hiring a new Chief Information Security Officer it says.

I wonder if my qualifications would be enough to apply. I know how to make paper airplanes and spin around in my chair all day. I have the added bonus of knowing how to use microsoft word which will probably be icing on the cake for those guys.
          On a serious note, Sony has listed open positions at the San Diego offices that are supposedly in response to the new server system they installed.

Comment

• Twigg4075
            Kindergarten Cop
            • Feb 2009

PCWorld helps you navigate the PC ecosystem to find the products you want and the advice you need to get the job done.

I figured this would happen.

Comment

• theMINI
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Twigg4075
              I think that's the point people are trying to make. Is PSN built into the price of every PS3? I'm sure it is. But then Live is also built into the price of every 360. So the point that the Xbots are making that PS3 guys are still paying for PSN in some way is stupid because they are still paying extra for Live.
              Why the fuck are you guys comparing PSN to XBL? We pay $50 a year but our shit hasn't been down for 3+ weeks now. It's not even comparable.

Comment

• Misogi
                :misogi:
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Juggernaut
                Back yet? Estimate time of return?

Jesus, since PSN's been down, I've played like 20 hours of mario tennis for the gbc, and final fantasy tactics for the gba.

I want my psn
                Yooo, Mario Tennis for GBC is the shit tho
                * Chrispy logs into KGs account to see what misogi wrote* [05:53 PM]

Comment

• Colonel Angus
                  No longer a noob
                  • Jan 2010

All I want to do when I get home from work every night is watch Netflix and every day I can't I just get more and more pissed off. This is ridiculous!!

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by theMINI
                    Why the fuck are you guys comparing PSN to XBL? We pay $50 a year but our shit hasn't been down for 3+ weeks now. It's not even comparable.
                    Agreed. The only time there was an outage was due to a massive influx of users when Halo 3 and Modern Warfare were released, and it lasted a week while Microsoft upgraded their servers to handle the load.

There is an expected urgency when you are paying a fee to access the service to get it fixed. That is why there has only been that issue to date. And I am perfectly fine paying $4 a month for that urgency, and for the yearly upgrade to XBL.

I know that it sucks for PS3 users. But you guys are grasping for straws at this point. Either wait for PSN to be up, or play on Live or the PC. Actually, what sucks for you guys is, after this whole thing, I bet that Sony makes the online for PS4 (or whatever its named) a pay to access service like live.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                      Let's Go All The Way...
                      • Nov 2008

I honestly think the days of "free" online are over after this.

PSN might still be free with a basic package but whatever comes out for NGP and PS4 is going to require a fee to upgrade and upkeep servers to make sure this shit doesn't happen again.

If not that, at least minimize it to the point where it doesn't take a fucking month to eventually say "we fixed it" or "it can't be fixed back to the way it was."

Comment

• Colonel Angus
                        No longer a noob
                        • Jan 2010

If they can make it as good or better than live I wouldn't mind paying it. Outage and hacking aside Psn sucks. But its free, so who am I to complain...

...EXCEPT FOR WHEN IT'S DOWN FOR A MONTH

Comment

• BigBucs
                          Unpretentious
                          • May 2009

What more do you want from an online service? As long as I can get on a play games (waitsforlamewellyoucantplayjoke) who needs cross game chatting and shit like that? Cool I guess but if PSN had a pay service that offered everything live offered I would stick with the free.

Comment

• Berowsk
                            Fuck Bitches, Get Wawa.
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Colonel Angus
                            All I want to do when I get home from work every night is watch Netflix and every day I can't I just get more and more pissed off. This is ridiculous!!
                            Dude you can watch Netflix..
                            sigpic

Comment

• padman59
                              Slayer of Demons
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BEROWSK
                              Dude you can watch Netflix..
                              Not everyone can. Some people haven't been able to use the Netflix app since this whole outage began, and others (like me) have had it stop working after a week or two.

Comment

• leaffan
                                Colton Orr Fan
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FreemanTheGod
                                What more do you want from an online service? As long as I can get on a play games (waitsforlamewellyoucantplayjoke) who needs cross game chatting and shit like that? Cool I guess but if PSN had a pay service that offered everything live offered I would stick with the free.
                                Obvious its because you're a cheap blackie joke is obvious

Leafs offseason training!

Comment

Working...