Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Blade
    They probably should not have apps like netflix ever run through PSN again. As long as there's an internet connection they should be able to connect to netflix.
    you can still use netflix:redface:

Comment

• CCBrink
      Awkward Swag
      • May 2009

Why are people arguing about which online service is better?

It's obvious that Live>PSN. I miss live sometimes, but I don't play games enough to spend $50 a year to play online. I am fine with PSN.

Comment

• jms493
        • Feb 2009

This is probably taking forever because they know that as so as they turn the switch on that the hackers are going to come in like a tidal wave to try and hack in again....Sony pissed off the wrong group....these people have nothing better do and they thrive off doing this shit.

Comment

• Twigg4075
          Kindergarten Cop
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by leaffan

Also the free online play thing well isn't true for me anyways. I honestly don't give a shit if I have to pay a monthly fee for something, but that might have something to do with me not being a cheap ass.
          The real cheap asses are the people that only have one of the consoles and then shit on the other console like theirs is the best, ie fanboyism. If you truly can't afford it then it's understandable, but don't shit on the other people. A few years of Live is the cost of a Wii or PS3. If you're a real gamer you want every option available to you. I love being able to play every and any game that comes out. ALL of them. Some may not interest me but at least I have the option.

And for someone to use the tired excuse "The PS3/360 doesn't have any games that interest me" you can GTFO because you are lying to yourself.

Also, I think Live is better than PSN, but not by much and it's not some game altering experience like some of you guys think it is. Just listen to Chris Grant from Joystiq and the Giant Bomb guys talk about Live. They all say it's one of the most over rated things ever created and they say it's not worth the price. Whether it's $10 or $60, it's not worth any thing extra and I tend to agree. I don't have any experience with Steam but they all say it blows Live out of the water and it's free I believe?

Comment

• jms493
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
            Also, I think Live is better than PSN, but not by much and it's not some game altering experience like some of you guys think it is. Just listen to Chris Grant from Joystiq and the Giant Bomb guys talk about Live. They all say it's one of the most over rated things ever created and they say it's not worth the price. Whether it's $10 or $60, it's not worth any thing extra and I tend to agree. I don't have any experience with Steam but they all say it blows Live out of the water and it's free I believe?
            While I like those podcasts. I think those guys are smart and funny but it is hard to really take what they say too seriously. These guys are the biggest fucking nerds on the planet that play an videos games for a living....I mean that is their career. They have been playing PC games since they were 5. 99% of us are not like that and I don't relate too well to them. I mean they spend like 10-15 hours on the weekend playing games.

I do find their podcasts entertaining though...for the most part. The giant bomb is a little too long though....they ramble on about some stupid shit sometimes.

Comment

• Twigg4075
              Kindergarten Cop
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jms493
              While I like those podcasts. I think those guys are smart and funny but it is hard to really take what they say too seriously. These guys are the biggest fucking nerds on the planet that play an videos games for a living....I mean that is their career. They have been playing PC games since they were 5. 99% of us are not like that and I don't relate too well to them. I mean they spend like 10-15 hours on the weekend playing games.

I do find their podcasts entertaining though...for the most part. The giant bomb is a little too long though....they ramble on about some stupid shit sometimes.
              Exactly, they are MUCH more knowledgable than we will ever be. So if they something is good/crap, especially when they compare it to something like PC gaming that I know nothing about, I'll take their opinion over any clown on a message board. I don't see where you're going with this?

So because they know more we shouldn't listen to their opinions about Live? :confused:

Comment

• jms493
                • Feb 2009

Exactly, they are MUCH more knowledgable than we will ever be. So if they something is good/crap, especially when they compare it to something like PC gaming that I no nothing about, I'll take their opinion over any clown on a message board. I don't see where you're going with this?

So because they know more we shouldn't listen to their opinions about Live? :confused:

Basically I dont look into the shit that closely or am that critical of it.....the nitpick every little thing. Also I probably make 5 times as much money as these guys do. $50 to me a year is peanuts. I spend $60 to fill my car up and go play racquetball with friends.

All I know is that if someone took away my xbox live....I would pissed. It is good value for me and that is all that really matters. Unless they pay for xbox live for me then they can tell me it sucks and I should use something else.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                  Tiote!
                  • Mar 2009

For $60, I don't know what the value provided by Live is. The ability to match make? Is that really all I am getting? This is something that nearly every online game around has been able to provide since we invented online games. I sure as shit wasn't going to pay for the MSN Gaming Zone back when I was a beast at Jedi Knight

Sony needs to ask Valve to design a full Steam platform for PS3. Steam destroys XBL, has an infinite friends list, groups, the best download store around, cheivos, everything. And it's FREE. When I compare what I get from my Steam account vs what I get from XBL, it's no comparison

Comment

• SethMode
                    Master of Mysticism
                    • Feb 2009

The real cheap asses are the people that only have one of the consoles and then shit on the other console like theirs is the best, ie fanboyism. If you truly can't afford it then it's understandable, but don't shit on the other people. A few years of Live is the cost of a Wii or PS3
                    I'm ignoring the bits about Video Game podcast guys (I like Giant Bomb but at the end of the day it's still just a nerd round table) and being a true gamer (because I think that the very idea of a label being "gamer" is as gay as any other label). What I am interested in is this point: I get what you're trying to say here Twigg and in theory I agree that fanboyism is bad. However, I don't think that trying to paint it in the frame of "a few years of Live is the cost of a Wii or a PS3". A few YEARS!? Come on dude. Most middle class people (people in general?) aren't budgeting themselves on a YEARLY basis. No one is standing in a Best Buy going "Well, I HAVE a 360, and while I COULD drop 50 dollars just THIS YEAR for Xbox Live, to get the most out of my online experience, I could ALSO just assume that I will not use Xbox Live for the next 4 years and get a PS3 instead."

Obviously not that cut and dry but, still, a comparison between $50 a year and a 1 time cost of $200 or so isn't comparable. Particularly considering, in this case, the person would own a 360.

Not trying to spark a flame war, just pointing out that the online aspect of the argument isn't really the best way to come at the "don't be a fanboy!!!!111" argument. Money isn't the way to go about it, because not everyone can afford everything. The best way to go about it is to say, "hey, get what you like, and hope that you're happy with your purchase. If you're not, blame the manufacturer, not the guys that got something else and are happy with it."

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jms493
                      All I know is that if someone took away my xbox live....I would pissed. It is good value for me and that is all that really matters. Unless they pay for xbox live for me then they can tell me it sucks and I should use something else.
                      Something I was talking with my friend about sort of related to this as well; Live having numerical value to its users actually would make things easier for Microsoft and its users than it does Sony and its users. Basically, if Live goes down for over a month, MS can say "Okay, silver users, your service is free so anything you missed out on, sorry, but you're screwed. Gold users, you get 2 months of Gold for free (and then they could tack on anything additional that they wanted to in good faith)". End of the day, no one would really be upset because no one would feel gipped. With PSN, you've got PSN+ and PSN regular, both of which can do basically the same stuff save a few things here and there (main thing being both can play online). I think it's fairly safe to say Sony isn't sure how best to placate everyone without making someone feel snubbed. Not saying one system is better than the other, but one certainly seems easier than the other.

Comment

• SethMode
                        Master of Mysticism
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by calgaryballer
                        For $60, I don't know what the value provided by Live is. The ability to match make? Is that really all I am getting? This is something that nearly every online game around has been able to provide since we invented online games. I sure as shit wasn't going to pay for the MSN Gaming Zone back when I was a beast at Jedi Knight

Sony needs to ask Valve to design a full Steam platform for PS3. Steam destroys XBL, has an infinite friends list, groups, the best download store around, cheivos, everything. And it's FREE. When I compare what I get from my Steam account vs what I get from XBL, it's no comparison
                        I don't know if I'd say that Steam destroys XBL...I'd just say it's the same as XBL only free (so yeah, I guess that does mean it destroys XBL --- BUT XBL HAS AVATARS!!).

That said, I would love to see Valve design everything, everywhere. But, then we'd end up in basically a City 17 situation...

EDIT - I just got back from happy hour so I'm sorry for the lack of multi-quote.

Comment

• BigBucs
                          Unpretentious
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by theMINI
                          Maybe this is because you've never had cross game chatting or the option to invite other people to your party, but when I'm playing FIFA or some other game I like talking to my friends who are playing MW2 or something else.... I'm online because I enjoy interacting with people, not because I like to play by myself.
                          When Im in the middle of Madden or Fight Night I dont need to be talking about some random bullshit with someone playing a diff game while trying to win. Playing a shooter is diff but chatting across games doesnt entice me but Ill mic up all day during COD or RB6 with those who are in the room.

And who isnt online to interact with people? Im doing that when playing against another human. I dont need to chat with anyone while Im playing sports games, the genre I play about %80 of the time.

Comment

• BigBucs
                            Unpretentious
                            • May 2009

What is this steam shit you all speak of?

Comment

• padman59
                              Slayer of Demons
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FreemanTheGod
                              What is this steam shit you all speak of?
                              Steam is an integrated marketplace and community hub for PC gamers created by Valve. It gives you a store with a large selection of games to choose from (with some fantastic game deals throughout the year) as well as Friends List, Chatting features (both text and voice), Achievement support, cloud saves, and other bells and whistles that add to the community features.

In essence, it's the Xbox Live/PSN analogue for PC gamers.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                                Let's Go All The Way...
                                • Nov 2008

Steam > XBLA/PSN if only for the deals on shit they have alone.

Comment

Working...