X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave
    Go the fuck outside
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by adembroski
    You're missing my point here. 40 time being the end-all be-all of receiving isn't in question. The point you made was that it is the end all, be all of speed, and that's the point I'm contending.
    I guess I am, because IMO, the be-all, end-all of the speed rating should be a guy's 40 speed.
    I'm not saying it's right, it is what it is.
    Unless EA comes up with a "game speed" rating where guys like Jerry Rice are invincible (as they should be), the speed rating is merely a rating of a guy's speed IMO, which is why Hester has a 100 and Boldin doesn't.
    That doesn't make Hester the better receiver (he obviously isn't), but he's clearly faster than Boldin.
    What's the point of having a "speed" rating if it isn't reflected accurately?

EA has to find a way to make speed only one component of what makes a player great ... and why the Raiders are a consistent 3-13 team.
    My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• adembroski
      All-Inclusive!
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dave
      I guess I am, because IMO, the be-all, end-all of the speed rating should be a guy's 40 speed.
      I'm not saying it's right, it is what it is.
      Unless EA comes up with a "game speed" rating where guys like Jerry Rice are invincible (as they should be), the speed rating is merely a rating of a guy's speed IMO, which is why Hester has a 100 and Boldin doesn't.
      That doesn't make Hester the better receiver (he obviously isn't), but he's clearly faster than Boldin.
      What's the point of having a "speed" rating if it isn't reflected accurately?

EA has to find a way to make speed only one component of what makes a player great ... and why the Raiders are a consistent 3-13 team.
      That's the problem... 40 times are not accurate reflections of speed, because all of the ratings in Madden are "game" ratings.
      S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• adembroski
        All-Inclusive!
        • Feb 2009

* Ian Cummings mentioned that a new system was added for in-game stat banners in Madden 09 that is bearing fruit for '10. Adding new stat graphics for in-game presentation.
        S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• adembroski
          All-Inclusive!
          • Feb 2009

* Madden 10 will not have interactive sidelines, but the same "dummy" players are previous years.
          S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• Saluki
            Ball So Hard
            • Oct 2008

* Madden 10 will not have interactive sidelines, but the same "dummy" players are previous years.
            Honestly as long as the gameplay is good then i could care less if they save some disk space by having shitty sidelines. How often do u look at the sidelines anyway.

Comment

• Aso
              The Serious House
              • Nov 2008

yea they already fixed the suction sack.

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

I'm starting to think that this guy is Ian Cummings. He doesn't post anywhere else on teh boards he just gives us madden updates.

Comment

• adembroski
                  All-Inclusive!
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by HoustonBoy
                  I'm starting to think that this guy is Ian Cummings. He doesn't post anywhere else on teh boards he just gives us madden updates.
                  I post occassionally in the locker room, and I have an NFL Head Coach report in Franchises, Dynasties, Associations, etc.. That actually takes up most of my posting time. My job has me sitting at a computer 8 hours a day, so I spend a lot of time online.

Originally posted by K1NG
                  lol naw. he just reads the post ian makes at OS.
                  And on twitter, and Donny Moore, Josh Looman, Phil Frazier, and Michael Young in addition to Ian. Ian posts the most. I just got sick of all the information being all over the damn place so I made a thread on MM consolidating it, someone asked for it on OS, so I started copy/pasting it there, and then I figured, hell, if I'm gonna post here too, I might as well bring it over.

Actually got the idea from following Empire: Total War development over on totalwar.org. They had a thread like this, then the person stopped updating it, which left me out in the cold for information because I hate scouring for it.

Now look at me... every day I'm scouring OS and twitter for info:P I dunno, caught up in it. I've been away from Madden for several years, and really haven't been addicted too it since about 2001, I guess this new team is sort of getting me back into the spirit.

Plus it's kinda fun. I write blogs over on OS for the hell of it, makes me feel all importanty even though I'm not. Okay, makes me feel helpful and productive, I guess. Better than sitting idle staring at my computer screen at work. I get a very small taste of Pasta's world:P

Hell, if I had any HTML skills, I'd consider building my own sports gaming site similar to Pasta's... problem is, I'm not nearly as interested in some of the sports he covers, so it really wouldn't be a contest. Basketball, for instance, I couldn't care less about, so what can I tell you about Live vs. NBA 2k? He'd smash me. I'd have to take a much different approach. Maybe focus on Madden, get into the strategy of it? I dunno... it'd be a waste if Madden 10 ends up like Madden 09, because I'm sure as hell never getting this worked up about it again if it doesn't pan out.
                  Last edited by adembroski; 03-12-2009, 06:49 AM.
                  S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• adembroski
                    All-Inclusive!
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by HoustonBoy
                    And if I was Ian Cummings, I wouldn't have left him out in the cold on that post. Someone got all pissy with him over that statement over on MM, so I kinda feel I should post the specific quote I got this from.

Originally posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
                    Oh how I wish this wasn't the case! I feel so defeated when it comes to interactive sidelines.

Glorious Arc you are correct, there are a lot of 'clones' throughout the crowd and sidelines. They do actually animate during the play, but sometimes the camera guys and other random 'non players' animation data isn't saved into the replay (this is because of memory constraints...RAM, not HD).

As I think everyone is well aware, EVERY company that moved to 360 / PS3 went nuts on graphics. Well when the planning was done for graphical level of detail here at Tiburon, it was done to get the a.) absolute maximum amount of detail on 22 players on the field and b) insanely high-res stadiums. Extra characters really weren't considered because the player detail was so important, which is why it's been so hard getting new stuff in. That's why you haven't seen coaches in realtime on the sideline, or refs or chain gang either. All the initial planning and asset creation for the transition was done for 22 guys (at 30fps btw)...so it's been extremely difficult to make big global reductions as well as maintain 60 fps. Also, now that people are used to the visual fidelity of the game, we would take a lot of heat if the game started looking much worse graphically. I only wish that we had accounted for like 50 full-res guys.

APF2k8 decided to reduce the overall quality on their players, stadiums, environments, etc a little bit in order to have 22 EXTRA full-res players on the sidelines (instead of basic low-res clones). That's how they got the really killer interactions where the players catch you or you roll them over or whatever. I loved those...and no, those won't be in Madden NFL 10.

Personally (and I am not expressing the opinion of anyone else or of my employers), I'm of the mindset that MORE fully interactive characters = more immersion and "wow moments" to the user than having insane detail with fewer characters. Case in point - Dead Rising:

I really could care less what the graphics look like when I truly feel 100% immersed in that world (and in the story) because there are always 800 zombies around. I think NBA 2k has done an amazing job here as well - the guys get up for subs, the dude comes out and mops, and it's all realtime (they do have the luxury of a relatively tiny environment and only 10 players in the action at once though too).

So what do you guys think? As we move to the future, what is more important to you? Would you rather have the extra details (like the holes in the jerseys), or much less details on the players and the environment and more extra characters (that animate in a smarter manner) around the playing field? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
                    So, yeah, it's not like he's thrilled that it's not there. It just isn't.

My personal view? I liked the interactive sidelines in APF, and the graphics were "good enough", so I'll take 'em... my concern this year is time. There are far bigger fish to fry right now, and from what I've seen so far, they've got their focus in the right places. This would be the way way wrong place at this point.
                    Last edited by adembroski; 03-12-2009, 06:52 AM.
                    S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• bucky
                      #50? WTF?
                      • Feb 2009

adem,

Any word on Madden's availability on the PC?

Hard to get excited until I know it will be available.

Comment

• adembroski
                        All-Inclusive!
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bucky
                        adem,

Any word on Madden's availability on the PC?

Hard to get excited until I know it will be available.
                        There hasn't been any mention since last July, and that was by Peter Moore as part of a discussion about PC games as a whole. So that very well could have been Moore not realizing that Madden was included on "These Games" he was talking about.

I'm personally not confident right now.
                        S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• Berowsk
                          Fuck Bitches, Get Wawa.
                          • Oct 2008

I love the week to week progression for player ratings that occurs in NBA 2k9. I wish Madden could reflect this somehow. If I have Dan Orlovsky winning the MVP, he shouldn't be staying at 73 overall.
                          sigpic

Comment

• adembroski
                            All-Inclusive!
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Daniel Borowski
                            I love the week to week progression for player ratings that occurs in NBA 2k9. I wish Madden could reflect this somehow. If I have Dan Orlovsky winning the MVP, he shouldn't be staying at 73 overall.
                            Yes, he should. Cause and effect.. performance follows improvement, not the other way around.

If Dan Orlovsky wins the MVP, there's a lot more than progression wrong.
                            S.P.Q.A.

Comment

• Berowsk
                              Fuck Bitches, Get Wawa.
                              • Oct 2008

Yes, he should. Cause and effect.. performance follows improvement, not the other way around.

If Dan Orlovsky wins the MVP, there's a lot more than progression wrong.
                              lol it was just an example, felix jones will only become an 88, where as he is putting up 1500 for my team a year, he should be in the 90's.
                              sigpic

Comment

• adembroski
                                All-Inclusive!
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Daniel Borowski
                                lol it was just an example, felix jones will only become an 88, where as he is putting up 1500 for my team a year, he should be in the 90's.
                                My opinion on this is that progression should be based on the player's potential, maybe a work ethic rating, and coaches, not performance. Basing it on performance can very quickly unbalance the game.
                                S.P.Q.A.

Comment

Working...