• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

MegaMan

Platform: NES

MegaMan started something that it has never finished, a classic series that is still running strong for almost 25 years. MegaMan X made my countdown a lot earlier but without this game X would have never existed.

MegaMan also known as Rockman debuted in late 1987 when I was only a year old. I never played this game until I was four or five and couldn’t even make it past the first stage. Until I was older and could get the gameplay down I never beat the game. The game is basically a battle between MegaMan and Dr Wily and his many henchman. The game spans over eight levels with henchman with varying powers. After you take them all out you have a very difficult level to play ultimately culminating in an epic boss battle against Dr. Wily himself. The game is your basic 2-D side scrolling platformer. As you complete each stage you go into a boss battle against a henchman and after you go through the grueling battle you absorb the bosses power which can be used in each level as long as you have enough energy to use it. You can always use the standard hand cannon but some of the powers are just too good not to use. The MegaMan series is known for its incredible difficulty and cheap enemies. It makes the game harder yet rewarding as you make it through each stage. MegaMan innovated its save system by adding a password after you complete each stage so now a days you can just search the internet for the password but that’s a very cheap way of doing so. You can complete the game in one sitting if you have the patience and the time and should only take a few hours. As for the graphics and sound, they’re pretty meh. Nothing too spectacular but what would you expect with such an early game. Still is a lot of fun if you want the nostalgia feeling.

MegaMan is a staple in the gaming industry and is not for gamers who think they can just breeze through the game. It’s one of the most difficult games you’ll ever play and changed the landscape for side scrolling games. Below I posted a speed run because I know a lot of you will never attempt to play this game after you realize just how hard and cheap it is.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdrY8HLHyb0"]Mega Man NES Speed Run/ No Death Run Part 1 of 4 - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• KNUBB
      WHITE RONDO
      • Jun 2009

I wouldn't quite say running strong, but it had a nice long run

Comment

• Twigg4075
        Kindergarten Cop
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wingsfan77
        You know what I despise? People who use that stupid hashtag bullshit.
        #FYF #suckmydick #ifuckedyourmom

Comment

• Leftwich
          Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Halo 3

Platform: Xbox 360

Wow I remember playing the shit out of this game when I first got it. I remember beating the story first then taking it online. The online is where I met a lot of people I still game with to this day. Halo 3 was a major accomplishment by Microsoft and Bungie.

Halo 3 came out in late 2007 and was an instant success. It’s not like anyone thought it was going to flop knowing how well the first two sold and played. Alright first and foremost I’m going to touch on the single player. It had a lot of strong points and brought closure to the whole Halo story arc. It was also a very vast and beautiful experience but to be perfectly honest, it was short and lacking the gripping and OH MY GOD moments from the first two. I could safely say most of you have played this game and completed the story but as usually I don’t want to spoil anything for those who haven’t. I may be too critical of the story but it did offer a lot of new things to the series. Dual wielding weapons was already in the second one but they greatly improved on that aspect in the third one. The support weapons were great additions as well although the slowed you down considerably but I think that was done to balance things out a little bit. The vehicles were nice as ever and especially cool this time around by adding some new ones, which in my opinion, were very cool. Other than that the story really didn’t leave anything memorable and wrapped up pretty much everything you questioned about the franchise. I for one was not a huge fan of the ending but to each his own. The real meat and potatoes of this game is the multiplayer. Halo 3 was the first time I met a lot of people I still game with to this day and some I don’t even speak with anymore. Before I was spoiled by such games as Call of Duty, which came out only a few short months later, Halo 3 was all I had. I’ll admit the multiplayer is a little over the top and can be cheap at times, it is still a lot of fun and I always had a good taste in my mouth after logging many hours of play. The maps themselves really ranged in sizes, which gave it a nice mixture of changing styles. Nothing pleased me more than sniping someone from across the map, shoving a sword up an opponents ass or just sticking a grenade for that satisfaction of a job well done. Unfortunately ,as I alluded to earlier, Call of Duty 4 came out just a few months later and made me completely forget about this game. I tried to go back and play it but I just couldn’t do it. Some people really prefer Halo to Call of Duty but I am not one of those people. I’m not taking anything from this game because the multiplayer in this game was some of the most fun I’ve ever had but as you can see it is only 52 on my list which means It didn’t mean as much as 51 more games.

Halo 3 is basically a forgotten game in my collection but I still had a lot of fun playing it and won’t forget the epic online play and wrapping up a great franchise with the somewhat lacking story. As always a video is below for your viewing pleasure.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z36WDj2PcU"]Halo 3 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• stevsta
            ¿Que?
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Leftwich

Halo 3

Had some great times with Halo 3, but it had nothing compared to the halo 2 online scene
            RIP

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by stevsta
              Had some great times with Halo 3, but it had nothing compared to the halo 2 online scene
              Agreed.......Halo 2 was an awesome experience. Had so many good times playing that game, and I don't think I complained about any maps. The Halo experience has become so watered down now, it is a shame to see.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                Kindergarten Cop
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by stevsta
                Agreed. I hardly play any competitive multiplayer but I use to play that shit nearly every day. That was actually the game that I introduced my now wife to online multiplayer. I kind of created a monster though because she played that shit way more than me. Back then we would have issues with our wireless router and the console was so far away from it anyway. Plus Comcast, with their shitty policies, wouldn't allow us to use multiple modems in the house unless we paid them for internet service for each one. Seriously? So it got to the point where the easiest and most stable way to play online was to disconnect the modem from the PC and hook it up in the basement where the console was. I can't tell you how many times I would come home and go to hop on MM or whatever and the fucking modem was missing. Of course my wife was in the basement playing Halo. I knew I had to get her her own console quickly. She eventually moved on to CoD2 when the 360 came out and has been a CoD fangirl since.

And LOL at all the people that get butt hurt over their shitty turn based battles. I'm sorry that I expect more out of my games than glorified paper, rock, scissors.

If you like that shit, fine, but don't get salty because someone else doesn't.

Comment

• Leftwich
                  Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

Platforms: Everything

You guys might be wondering why this game is so high on my list and so of you think it deserves it as well. Tony Hawk 3 always holds a great place in my heart as not only the first Tony Hawk game to be featured on the PS2 and also to be the first game to have online play as well.

Tony Hawk 3 was a pretty damn good game from the characters to the Create system all the way to the upgrades in gameplay, namely the revert. The graphics were a huge step up in the franchise as well. After making the leap to the next gen consoles it was such a beautiful game. Some of the best levels in the franchise were featured in this game such as the Airport, Los Angeles and Canada. With the inclusion of the Revert you could extend combos to huge point multipliers and sick linked moves. I used to pretty much run things when I played this game. I’d have friends come over to my house and put money down just trying to beat me in a 2 minute total point contests. I was rarely, if ever, beaten. Because of this I have and will never have anything to complain about in this game. It pretty much set the standard for the series although most games that came out after this were more of the same. This was the last time the Tony Hawk series got everything right. The design of the levels was perfect and as someone who has played the franchise before knows by just looking at a level where their next move was gonna be and what was going to be the part of the level you were going to get most of your points from. Sure the story mode was pretty basic but it had all the same things you had to do which didn’t get old. You had to collect the Skate letters and find the hidden tapes. If I still owned this game I would definitely go back and play it but unfortunately I no longer have it. I'm sorry I didn't touch on the multiplayer at all in this review but I really didn't play it all that much because at the time i wasn't into the whole multiplayer thing.

This may have been one of my shortest reviews of a game on my list but as a lot of games go on this list, it is one of the games you have to play to know how great it really was. Below is a video of someone a lot better than me pulling off some sick combos.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U3kTTxMBvY"]Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (6:23) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Woy
                    RIP West
                    • Dec 2008

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

Platforms: Everything

You guys might be wondering why this game is so high on my list and so of you think it deserves it as well. Tony Hawk 3 always holds a great place in my heart as not only the first Tony Hawk game to be featured on the PS2 and also to be the first game to have online play as well.

Tony Hawk 3 was a pretty damn good game from the characters to the Create system all the way to the upgrades in gameplay, namely the revert. The graphics were a huge step up in the franchise as well. After making the leap to the next gen consoles it was such a beautiful game. Some of the best levels in the franchise were featured in this game such as the Airport, Los Angeles and Canada. With the inclusion of the Revert you could extend combos to huge point multipliers and sick linked moves. I used to pretty much run things when I played this game. I’d have friends come over to my house and put money down just trying to beat me in a 2 minute total point contests. I was rarely, if ever, beaten. Because of this I have and will never have anything to complain about in this game. It pretty much set the standard for the series although most games that came out after this were more of the same. This was the last time the Tony Hawk series got everything right. The design of the levels was perfect and as someone who has played the franchise before knows by just looking at a level where their next move was gonna be and what was going to be the part of the level you were going to get most of your points from. Sure the story mode was pretty basic but it had all the same things you had to do which didn’t get old. You had to collect the Skate letters and find the hidden tapes. If I still owned this game I would definitely go back and play it but unfortunately I no longer have it. I'm sorry I didn't touch on the multiplayer at all in this review but I really didn't play it all that much because at the time i wasn't into the whole multiplayer thing.

This may have been one of my shortest reviews of a game on my list but as a lot of games go on this list, it is one of the games you have to play to know how great it really was. Below is a video of someone a lot better than me pulling off some sick combos.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (6:23) - YouTube
                    I literally just brought this game back from home today and started playing it again.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                      Agreed. I hardly play any competitive multiplayer but I use to play that shit nearly every day. That was actually the game that I introduced my now wife to online multiplayer. I kind of created a monster though because she played that shit way more than me. Back then we would have issues with our wireless router and the console was so far away from it anyway. Plus Comcast, with their shitty policies, wouldn't allow us to use multiple modems in the house unless we paid them for internet service for each one. Seriously? So it got to the point where the easiest and most stable way to play online was to disconnect the modem from the PC and hook it up in the basement where the console was. I can't tell you how many times I would come home and go to hop on MM or whatever and the fucking modem was missing. Of course my wife was in the basement playing Halo. I knew I had to get her her own console quickly. She eventually moved on to CoD2 when the 360 came out and has been a CoD fangirl since.

And LOL at all the people that get butt hurt over their shitty turn based battles. I'm sorry that I expect more out of my games than glorified paper, rock, scissors.

To each their own.........I'm sure I hate something that you love.

I somehow found a way around that Comcast problem awhile back. I just used Google to find out what the common tech password was, enabled internet in the other room (which had a line going to it just fine) and it worked.

Comment

• Juggernaut
                        Sitting on the Sidelines
                        • Dec 2008

We get salty because you call our shit, shit.

And when you call it "glorified paper, rock, scissors", you prove to everyone that you don't understand a tenth of the complexity of some turn based games.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                          Kindergarten Cop
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                          To each their own.........I'm sure I hate something that you love.

I somehow found a way around that Comcast problem awhile back. I just used Google to find out what the common tech password was, enabled internet in the other room (which had a line going to it just fine) and it worked.
                          I wish I would've know about that back then.
                          Originally posted by Juggernaut
                          We get salty because you call our shit, shit.

And when you call it "glorified paper, rock, scissors", you prove to everyone that you don't understand a tenth of the complexity of some turn based games.
                          I do because I believe it is. I also think that style of "combat" is a dying breed. It's a Japanese gaming trope and overall Japanese gaming ideas have been deteriorating immensely the last decade.

Hell, a huge JRPG just released, what, last week? FF XIII-2? And not a fuck seems to be given.

Comment

• KNUBB
                            WHITE RONDO
                            • Jun 2009

Hell, a huge JRPG just released, what, last week? FF XIII-2? And not a fuck seems to be given.
                            By you maybe, but you don't give a fuck regardless.

Comment

• Leftwich
                              Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Will you guys stop fighting over the god damn rpgs.

Comment

• KNUBB
                                WHITE RONDO
                                • Jun 2009

Will you guys stop fighting over the god damn rpgs.
                                Tell Twigg to bitch less.

Comment

Working...