Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StealthShot
    Eat it
    • Oct 2008

Im gunna go back and beat vice city pretty soon, loved that damn game.

Comment

• Leftwich
      Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Counter-Strike

Platform: PC and Xbox

This is the only game on my entire list that is not made by actual developers but instead made by the community namely two guys named Minh Le and Jess Cliffe. This game in my opinion is what started massive first person shooters online. This game brings back a lot of memories of long sessions and epic frustration.

Like I said before, Counter Strike is not a game originally for sale. It was developed by modding what was already there with Half Life. I’m not necessarily going to go out on a limb here and say that a lot of you played this. It came out in the fall of 2003 and didn’t have a big following until the winter of 2004. Around the same time this game came out I had finally got high speed internet and a friend of mine had turned me onto this game. When I first tried it out I wasn’t a big fan but after a week or two of forcing myself to play it, I fell in love. You had two choices, be a terrorist or be a part of the counter-terrorists. Both had two different objectives and if you’ve ever played Search and Destroy on Call of Duty you would realize where they got their inspiration for that game type. There is no story to this game it is just strictly online play. If you’re a gamer who doesn’t like just online games then this is not for you. As a terrorist you have the objective of planting a bomb. Once the bomb explodes you win. If your team is unable to plant the bomb and you are all killed by the counter terrorists you lose. If you are the terrorists and eliminate all the counter terrorists you win without ever having to plant the bomb. The beauty of Counter Strike is the simplicity. You get one life and health does not regenerate. It taught you how to strategically play a first person shooter. Not so lucky for me, I forgot how to play after such a long time and struggled when I got back into FPS’s. You gain money for kills, bomb plants, bomb explosions and rescuing hostages. If you die you are forced to spectate but after the round is over you can spend money you have earned on guns, equipment or what not which is pretty simple but still requires strategy. The graphics aren’t the best in this game but for something built off of Half Life it wasn’t expected to be. There were a few maps in the game but I honestly can’t remember any of them but de_dust. Still with limited graphical capabilities and very simple gameplay, it was a lot of fun to play.

This may be a shorter review than others but it was still a lot of fun to play and a lot of games that are being played now pay homage to this game. Counter Strike was revolutionary in many ways and is a very under appreciated game. It’s not for all but judge for yourself by watching the video below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvQknD8hno"]counter strike clip - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by Tailback U
      It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• IamMedellin
        Everything Burns...
        • Nov 2008

PLayed it on the PC

most fun I ever had in an online FPS

Comment

• Leftwich
          Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by IamMedellin
          PLayed it on the PC

most fun I ever had in an online FPS
          It really is. So barebones its not even funny.

Comment

• calgaryballer
            Tiote!
            • Mar 2009

Feels so weird watching left handed charecter models...

Comment

• j.hen
              Self Care
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DSpydr84
              Holy shit I wanna play Pokemon right now because of that post. I spent way too many hours on that game.
              Just wait.

Comment

• G-men
                Posts too much
                • Nov 2011

New Poke'chise. Make it happen.

Comment

• Leftwich
                  Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out

Platform: NES

This is the greatest boxing game to ever touch a gamer’s hands. Fight Night, Ready 2 Rumble or any other game can not hold a candle to this great achievement in gaming, that in its home console version, even 25 years later. Yeah its hard to believe this game is 25 years old this year.

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out is not a port of the popular arcade game of 1984 known as Super Punch out, not to be confused with the one that came out for the SNES. Mike Tyson’s Punch Out puts you in the gloves of Little Mac. You’re trying to work your way up the ranks of professional boxing. You will face many iconic fake boxers on your way until you face the real deal known as Mike Tyson. He is later called Mr. Dream after Nintendo lost the license to use him but in the versions not featuring his name you can still tell it is him by his insane difficulty and the gap in his teeth. The gameplay is pretty basic. You have five punches to throw, 2 to the head, 2 to the body and your special uppercut you can use when you hit enough punches to gain a heart. The uppercut is pretty much your equalizer for knocking the shit out of the computer controlled opponent. You can also dodge, duck and block blows from the opponent and if you’re a smart player you will use those a lot more than you actually deliver punishment. This game is not a button masher; you have to be cold and calculating to get the upper hand. Sure for the first few opponents you can dish out the punches but as the game wears on so does the difficulty and you have to know when to strike and when to block. The rounds maxed out at 3 so you had to find a way to knock out the opponent or win by decision which sometimes was hard but at least you got up to 3 retries unless you were facing Tyson. If you lost to Tyson, it was game over. I’ve never beat Mike Tyson in all the times I’ve played the game so I can’t tell you how it ends. I plan on playing it at some point in the future but I can’t deal with the frustration now. As far as the opponents you face, there were some classics like Bald Bull, Super Macho Man, Glass Joe (the first opponent), King Hippo (who had the famous bandage on this belly) and many more. Very iconic enemies if you ask me. For the graphics and sound they are about what you would expect for an early NES game. Although character models did look pretty good for limited capabilities and the inclusion of a decent looking Mario was a nice touch as well. Sound had some background music, crowd cheers and hits and stuff but nothing too, too spectacular.

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out was a classic for the NES and is still a classic to this day. I would spend literally days playing it just to try my hand at Mike Tyson. Unfortunately I was never able to beat him. Watch the video below for more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdZOp1bnLzE"]Mike Tyson's Punch Out one hit run - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• 1ke
                    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                    • Mar 2009

Did Karnov make the list?

Comment

• SethMode
                      Master of Mysticism
                      • Feb 2009

Man, old school NES covers really knew how to sell it to a kid. The Punch-Out cover is fucking awesome (and, in true NES fashion, nothing like the actual game).

Comment

• Twigg4075
                        Kindergarten Cop
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                        Man, old school NES covers really knew how to sell it to a kid. The Punch-Out cover is fucking awesome (and, in true NES fashion, nothing like the actual game).
                        True. But at least Punch Out!! was a great game. Most of the NES covers that looked awesome were masking terrible games. Then you had terrible covers that probably kept some people away from great games, like Mega Man.

Comment

• SethMode
                          Master of Mysticism
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                          True. But at least Punch Out!! was a great game. Most of the NES covers that looked awesome were masking terrible games. Then you had terrible covers that probably kept some people away from great games, like Mega Man.
                          Between being a comic book fan, and the awesome cover, this one duped me as a kid:

Comment

• Twigg4075
                            Kindergarten Cop
                            • Feb 2009

Between being a comic book fan, and the awesome cover, this one duped me as a kid:

I actually never played that game. I'm guessing it was gahbidge?

Comment

• padman59
                              Slayer of Demons
                              • Mar 2009

I particularly loved the training level that requires you to reset the fucking game to exit and the fact that even if you beat all of the levels, you still have to fucking enter an obscure code from the cover (that isn't even complete BTW) to open up the last level. Not to mention the shitty partner AI.

LJN duped the shit out of a ton of kids with their shitty games.

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                              I actually never played that game. I'm guessing it was gahbidge?
                              Short answer: yes.

Comment

• Leftwich
                                Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Somehow my 46th and 45th games went missing off my list due to me possibly not wanting to write them originally or i just didn't save them. I will rewrite them and do a double post tomorrow. Sorry about that guys, just not really in the mood to write a long review for both of them.

Comment

Working...