Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Handleit_44
    Posts a lot
    • Jun 2009

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

Durango is the codename for the next-gen Xbox.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

Comment

• U824942
      Don Juan Cherry Tempo!
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Garrett67
      This console is tired and has ran it's course. This thing won't sell well at all.

They will be lucky if it hits 1 million sold.
      Debbie Downer...........waaaa waaaa!

Comment

• U824942
        Don Juan Cherry Tempo!
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Handleit_44
        The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will...o-st-470062456

So if i take my new xbox on vacation with me to a resort that doesn't have wifi (ala upstate NY), what am I supposed to do - use it as doorstop or paperweight? If I have a game disc, why wouldn't I be able to run the game if I want? This is a bit of overkill if you ask me....it's not like there is a large amount of pirating XBOX games that require additional DRM like with PC games......

Comment

• padman59
          Slayer of Demons
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by U824942
          So if i take my new xbox on vacation with me to a resort that doesn't have wifi (ala upstate NY), what am I supposed to do - use it as doorstop or paperweight? If I have a game disc, why wouldn't I be able to run the game if I want? This is a bit of overkill if you ask me....it's not like there is a large amount of pirating XBOX games that require additional DRM like with PC games......
          Always online is the next step toward a digital only platform (and subsequently, the end of used games), and I'm guessing that MS is going to start pushing for people to start buying full retail games from the Live marketplace if this is true.

Comment

• Handleit_44
            Posts a lot
            • Jun 2009

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Twitter EDIT: Below is an update about the little spat between him and Manveer, a game designer at Bioware...

Comment

• 1ke
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
              • Mar 2009

Can say with confidence, if they do this, I'll avoid it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Comment

• killgod
                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                • Oct 2008

what the dummy is missing is it's a 2nd point of failure, being added for the sake of a feature that may not even be required for what you want to be doing.

I was without internet for 3 weeks at a point a year or two ago. No internet and NOW, no games for 3 weeks?

The fuck I'm gonna do, go outside?

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                  War Hero
                  • May 2012

Sony is going to shit on Microsoft during E3. I'm sorry but this isn't the gen to be forcing this type of stuff.

Comment

• padman59
                    Slayer of Demons
                    • Mar 2009

Those guys (@adam_orth and @manveerheir) are saying they were just joking around.

Comment

• dave
                      Go the fuck outside
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 1ke
                      Can say with confidence, if they do this, I'll avoid it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
                      I hate it too, but both consoles are going to do it. Always on Internet connection is here to stay. Frankly, I'm impressed used games might still be ok next era.
                      My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Epidemik
                        Commitment to Excellence
                        • Jul 2009

Comment

• dave
                          Go the fuck outside
                          • Oct 2008

This Orthy guy comes across as an asshole.
                          My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Handleit_44
                            Posts a lot
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by padman59
                            Those guys (@adam_orth and @manveerheir) are saying they were just joking around.

I'm sure the M$ bosses are thrilled - Kotaku broke the piece about an hour ago as well.

Either way, I'm sure his work day will be awesome tomorrow.

Comment

• Handleit_44
                              Posts a lot
                              • Jun 2009

Comment

• CrimsonGhost56
                                True Blue
                                • Feb 2009

exclusive sneak preview of the new xbox

Comment

Working...