Clear All
  • Palooza
    Au Revoir, Shoshanna
    • Feb 2009

Identity Thief - pathetic/10
    Oz the Great and Powerful - so. boring/10
    Mama - the Kingslayer came nowhere close to saving this/10
    21 & Over - bastardization of the sex-comedy genre/10
    Wish You Were Here - seriously, Teresa Palmer was barely even in this, WTF/10
    Now You See Me - so. fucking. dumb/10
    Rapture-Palooza - useless, but Anna Kendrick is fucking adorable/10
    The Iceman - Michael Shannon is good as always, Chris Evans brings some much needed variety to a bland tale, otherwise, classic mob bullshit, true story or not/10
    Sightseers - odd/10
    Dead Man Down - generic/10
    Jack the Giant Slayer - overdone, but entertaining enough/10
    The Purge - more Lena Heady plz/10
    Fast & Furious 6 - It's no Fast Five, but it's pretty fucking good/10
    Man of Steel - had many-a flaws but I was extremely entertained and engaged/10
    This is the End - best comedic theater experience since Pineapple Express/10

Comment

• Houston
      Back home
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Palooza
      1. It's Lara Croft.

2. Pretty sure she's from the mid-90's and Die Hard was made in 1988. Lara Croft climbs around like John McClane.

3. If you don't like Die Hard, you've lost my internet friendship and every kind word I've ever said to help rebuild your reputation around here. I will no long vouch for your character.
      Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy some parts. Like when the terrorist have John caught but he makes them laugh(somehow) and then shoots them both in the head while they're distracted. Very satisfying climax.

Comment

• Palooza
        Au Revoir, Shoshanna
        • Feb 2009

not enough emo teenagers, manic pixie dream girls, or anime ayjinz for you boy?

Comment

• Houston
          Back home
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Palooza
          not enough emo teenagers, manic pixie dream girls, or anime ayjinz for you boy?

No, that's not it.

But while we're on the subject there are plenty of movies with two and arguably even three of what you mentioned that are better than Die Hard. Spirited Away for example.

Comment

• Swarley
            A Special Kind of Cat
            • Jul 2010

White House Down - Decently enjoyable. Not good by any means, but I didn't hate it. Olympus Has Fallen was quite a bit better though. There were some ideas in this movie that I liked, but either didn't think got enough attention or they just strayed from too much at times. Also worth noting that I enjoy bad action movies lol. If you're not an action junky, you'd be better off skipping it in favor of Olympus Has Fallen.

Comment

• Buzzman
              • Oct 2008

I thought both were bad but Olympus Has Fallen was one of the biggest piles of shit this year.

Comment

• Swarley
                A Special Kind of Cat
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Buzzman
                I thought both were bad but Olympus Has Fallen was one of the biggest piles of shit this year.
                I didn't think it was anything noteworthy, but I enjoyed that one.

Comment

• Buzzman
                  • Oct 2008

My biggest problem was that the film took such a serious approach to the story that it came off as laughably bad instead of laughable fun.

Comment

• Swarley
                    A Special Kind of Cat
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Buzzman
                    My biggest problem was that the film took such a serious approach to the story that it came off as laughably bad instead of laughable fun.
                    Ok, I can understand that. That seemed to be one of the bigger differences between the two. White House Down definitely had quite a few not so serious moments.
                    Last edited by Swarley; 06-27-2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

If you are a man, and couldn't appreciate Olympus Has Fallen for what it was...you suck and take yourself too seriously.

The fact that it was serious, is what made it "laughable fun"...if you go into a movie like that all tongue-in-cheek and making corny quotables like Jamie Foxx does in White House Down, it'll just make it corny.

Olympus Has Fallen is a "dad" movie to the max.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                        Let's Go All The Way...
                        • Nov 2008

Killing Them Softy - ***1/2 stars.

Another Pitt movie where it's "him" (like how Samuel L. Jackson is or Bruce Willis), in that the film has a handful of decent-to-great character actors but the process doesn't... go without him in it.

Gandolfini's (RIP) portrayal of a burnt-out hitman had me more engaged than Pitt; Liotta (who got beat to a level of shit that I was unaware of existing) did his job as the fall-guy alright; and this guy:

...basically played the everyman schmuck to a T.

Up until it was revealed that "Squirrel" had him do a bid in prison, I thought McNairy's 'Frankie' was basically the guy the audience would most relate to in a story where NOBODY truly was relatable

The ending and the denouement in the bar at the end wrapped this movie up in a little bow and I love it because of that.

This is a picture about how the system works because everyone's got a role to play; and if somebody fucks that up, there's always a guy like Pitt who cleans up the mess in the most violent and brutal way possible.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                          2011 Poster Of The Year
                          • Mar 2009

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - set the record for most lowercase words in the title if a movie.

I'm glad the world actually ends at the end, because 5 minutes into the movie i'm figuring that Carell meets somebody, falls in love, and somehow the meteor misses the earth and we all live happily ever after. The story works a lot better by not doing that.

Comment

• Houston
                            Back home
                            • Oct 2008

Good enough but they missed out on some key chances to make it better.

Comment

• manchild24
                              Kyle got fired
                              • Nov 2008

went to watch
                              This is the End. Not a bad movie, not good, but not bad.. Some humorous one liners and funny apprearance

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

Shame

This is a 2011 movie about a sexual deviant whose life is disrupted when his younger sister moves in with him. Dark stuff. Amazing performance by Michael Fassbender, a German actor who I will seek out based on his work here.

Five stars.

Comment

Working...