Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Dell I'd like to see you do a review of my favorite vampire movies ever.

The Lost Boys.

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• nflman2033
      George Brett of VSN
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by dell71

The Thing
      Directed by John Carpenter
      1982. Rated R, 109 minutes.
      Cast:
      Kurt Russell
      Wilford Brimley
      Keith David
      David Clennon
      T.K. Carter
      Richard Dysart
      Charles Hallahan
      A dog that appears to be running from the Norwegians who are stationed nearby shows up at an American research camp in Antartica. Shortly, the dog is discovered to really be some sort of shape-shifting organism that can perfectly imitate other life forms and tries to ingest whoever or whatever it copies. It doesn't rush us along from one killing to the next. Instead, it deals extensively with how the problem at hand affects the trust of the people who have to deal with it. This is where the strength of the movie lies. Still, it gets nasty when it has to through the use of special fx that have held up surprisingly well over the nearly 30 years since it first came out. That's mostly due to the fact that they're used sparingly. Unlike most movies of today, we're not constantly looking at some cgi concoction or another. We have organically made creature effects that we only see enough to creep us out. The only major drawback to the movie is that it plays like an Earth-bound version of the classic Alien. It's actually a remake of the 1951 move, The Thing from Another World. Either way, its an excellent sci-fi/horror experience.

MY SCORE: 8/10
      10/10 one of my all time favorites

Comment

• Maynard
        stupid ass titles
        • Feb 2009

teen wolf was great. I still watch it if it comes on TV.

i watched sideways last night. I forgot how great that movie is.

Comment

• dell71
          Enter Sandman
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Leftwich
          Dell I'd like to see you do a review of my favorite vampire movies ever.

The Lost Boys.
          Also one of my fave vampire movies of all time. Even though I own it, its been a long long time since I watched it and can't do a proper review just yet. I'll have to dig it out of storage one of these days.

Comment

• Leftwich
            Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Also one of my fave vampire movies of all time. Even though I own it, its been a long long time since I watched it and can't do a proper review just yet. I'll have to dig it out of storage one of these days.
            Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by Tailback U
            It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Senser81
              VSN Poster of the Year
              • Feb 2009

The Thing was a great movie. John Carpenter actually put a lot of thought into the sci-fi aspect of it...its a very bizarre movie. I think Alien (the original) is more of a "what is going on here?" movie where you spend most of the time trying to figure out what the Alien actually is and where its hiding in the ship. In The Thing, its tense throughout the entire movie because The Thing could be the person standing next to you. Its a little bit different experience.

Comment

• Epidemik
                Commitment to Excellence
                • Jul 2009

Con-Air

What did you think sir Dell?

Comment

• Maynard
                  stupid ass titles
                  • Feb 2009

i thought i saw a review of snatch. I remember dell saying it was possible the bes role brad pitt ever played....i cant find the review.

But i started this last night. This movie is just silly. Incrdible directing and acting across the board. I am only about 30 mins into it, but its pretty funny. That scene with the 3 black dudes robbing the bookie was cracking me up.

the only problem is that they all have accents and i have a hard time understand what they are saying. I need sub titles! I know Pitt was supposed to talk that way, but like the 3 jews in the beginning are very hard to understand

Comment

• dell71
                    Enter Sandman
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Epidemik26
                    Con-Air

What did you think sir Dell?
                    Over the top, ultra-macho (read: homoerotic), highly watchable and enjoyable trash. Think most Sly Stallone or Schwarzenegger movies. If its not clear, I remember liking it when I watched it however many years ago but wouldn't call it a great film.

Originally posted by Maynard
                    i thought i saw a review of snatch. I remember dell saying it was possible the bes role brad pitt ever played....i cant find the review.

But i started this last night. This movie is just silly. Incrdible directing and acting across the board. I am only about 30 mins into it, but its pretty funny. That scene with the 3 black dudes robbing the bookie was cracking me up.

the only problem is that they all have accents and i have a hard time understand what they are saying. I need sub titles! I know Pitt was supposed to talk that way, but like the 3 jews in the beginning are very hard to understand
                    That was in the "decade in movies" thread. And yes, it is silly but that's certainly par for the Guy Ritchie course. The accents are strong but I didn't really need subtitles. Besides, I got the impression you're not really supposed to understand everything Pitt is saying. If you're watching on DVD feel free to turn on the subtitles feature.

Comment

• Maynard
                      stupid ass titles
                      • Feb 2009

i gotta torrent...i just have to rewind alot Pitts charecter is halarious....that fat dude trying to get out of the car....hehe

Comment

• FUSE
                        • Oct 2008

Dell when will we see you review Avatar?

Comment

• dell71
                          Enter Sandman
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Phantom26
                          Dell when will we see you review Avatar?
                          Sadly, I'm not sure. Hopefully soon, though.

Comment

• Tailback U
                            No substitute 4 strength.
                            • Nov 2008

I just watched The Last Samurai again last night after some time, have you seen that, Dell? Don't see a review for it.

Comment

• Fox1994
                              Posts too much
                              • Dec 2008

G-Force
                              Directed by Hoyt Yeatman
                              2009. Rated PG, 88 minutes.
                              Cast:
                              Sam Rockwell
                              Will Arnett
                              Bill Nighy
                              Zach Galifianakis
                              Penelope Cruz
                              Nicolas Cage
                              Tracy Morgan
                              Steve Buscemi

Plot: A program developing guinea pigs and other small creatures into a walking talking spy unit is in jeopardy of having its government funding pulled unless they can stop an evil mogul from taking over the world.

The Good: The little furries are very well rendered and so gosh-darn cute. All the tenets of spy-team comedies are present. We have our hero type, and our wacky sidekick. Both are smitten with the only female on the squad. Then we have our techie...I'll stop here. I don't think I'm fooling anyone.

The Bad: Many movies have annoying characters and many movies are boring. Both of those problems plague this movie. The characters are annoying enough to make PETA supporters don furs. As far as the boredom it causes, its near fatal. In fact, I'm pretty sure Shakespeare must have watched this, or at least had me in mind whil he was writing. What does that mean? It means over the course of the 90 minutes I spent watching this movie I felt like I died a thousand deaths. Lest you think I'm just being way too grown-up and unwilling to have fun with a kiddie-flick I'll have you know my 9 year old daughter stood up about 30 minutes in, announced "this is boring" and left the room. I wish I had such guts. Spinelessly, I endured it with my 7 year old daughter who was only mildly entertained but holding me hostage, nonetheless.

The Ugly: Okay, I admit I chuckled a bit when Juarez (Cruz) had her emerging from the water scene.

Recommendation: Only watch this is you absolutely must. If that is the case, be sure to keep all sharp objects out of reach or you may be tempted to jam one in your own eye merely for the sake of having something interesting happen. If your kids want to watch it, load it in the DVD player and inform them it is really urgent that you count and label the strands of carpet in the another, then disappear. C'mon, an hour and a half of Disney baby-sitting won't kill them. I don't think.

The Opposite View: MaryAnn Johanson, Flick Filosopher

What the Internet Says: 4.9/10 on imdb.com (1/9/10), 24% on rottentomatoes.com, 41/100 on metacritic.com

MY SCORE: 0/10
                              "If you ever get a chance to bring humanity to its knees... Do it."

God, this movie killed me. It was too bad to laugh at. The only good part was Will Arnett, but that passed quickly. Ugh, this movie was depressingly bad. My sister turned it on.

I was hoping I'd get to play my PS2 afterward (we were at my dad's house), but I decided to turn in after that... And I think she turned-on some other bullshit movie after that.

Comment

• JrRawlins
                                • May 2009

i know you have seen City of God, but have you done a review for it?

Comment

Working...