X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

The Trade Deadline Thread

It's July, so trade talks will be heating up. So far, we have had one move that I would classify as the start of deadline season:

Rockies Get: 2B Mark Ellis

A's Get: P Bruce Billings

Ellis, the definition of "average" in almost every way, became expendable when Jamile Weeks was called up and took his job. I thought it was odd that the Rockies seeked out a 2B, considering they have J. Herrera wasting away on the bench and Ellis turns a million years old this year. Ellis is playing every day.

I don't know anything about Billings, but getting a sack of balls in return for Ellis is a win for Oakland.
  • Goober
    Needs a hobby
    • Feb 2009

Brewers better trade for a SS. Reyes is out of the question, but I'd like to see Jamey Carroll traded to Milwaukee.

Comment

• Leftwich
      Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Orioles won't be contenders this year so if i'm them, i'm shipping out Luke Scott to someone who needs a bat and possibly Jeremy Guthrie although we're already stretched desperately thin at starting pitching. Don't really care what we get in turn but possibly prospects.

Originally posted by Tailback U
      It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Woy
        RIP West
        • Dec 2008

Bullpen help. Bullpen help. Bullpen help.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Teams have called the Reds for Ramon Hernandez, but I cant see them trading him even if they fall out of the race, because he would be a Type A FA based on his numbers the last two years, so the FA compensation would likely be better than what anyone would give up in a trade.

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I'm a firm believer if the Cubs can trade Carlos Marmol and get some good prospects back they should do so.

I doubt the Cubs can and will do much at the deadline. There are rumors they are looking to trade A-Ram...his option complicates things.

The Red Sox seem pretty good with where they are at and I doubt we see any moves out of them.

Comment

• NAHSTE
              Probably owns the site
              • Feb 2009

Only position the Braves can upgrade is CF, but with our wealth of young pitching talent I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a few crazy offers for Kemp, Rasmus or Bourn.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Repotedly the Reds asked about Ludwick, which I don't understand. He's no better than the three LF's they already have.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                  Giants in the Super Bowl
                  • Mar 2009

The Mets are in a strange spot. Obviously, it would take a miracle for them to get back in the division race (over 10 games out today) but they're anything but totally out of the wild card (6.5 games out today I think).

At the same time, I don't expect them to add any "big" piece at all via trade. If anything, they will be more inclined to sell on Beltran and even K-Rod if someone is willing.

Plus, they're getting David Wright back within the next 2-3 weeks so you figure the line-up will improve (they'll even have a logjam in the infield causing either Turner or Tejada to the bench). I know you can't count on him for this year but it's possible Johan Santana returns by the end of August.

----

It's tough though because if by the middle of July, the Mets are 4-6 games out of the Wild Card, they have to decide to go with what they got or another option.

Beltran's been the clubs #2 player all year behind Reyes, doesn't make sense in trading him unless you get back a starter who can help. Even though Beltran walks at the end of the year and they get nothing back, how can you trade that production?

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                    Highwayman
                    • Feb 2009

Mets will move Beltran by the deadline, I'm nearly certain.

Marlins will move Leo Nunez by the deadline, I'm nearly certain, and considering he's the top RP that will be on the market, he should garner something decent.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

The Mets shouldn't do anything if they are still within 5 or so of the WC. Make a run, and let these guys walk. Take the compensation.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF

Marlins will move Leo Nunez by the deadline, I'm nearly certain, and considering he's the top RP that will be on the market, he should garner something decent.
                        Heath Bell? KRod? Mike Adams?

There will be a few quaility guys.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                          Heath Bell? KRod? Mike Adams?

There will be a few quaility guys.
                          I don't know if K-Rod will get traded (I don't think he will, but I think he should) and I'm certain Adams won't. Bell might, but not sure if teams will pay through the nose for him, as the asking price right now is high high high.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                            Highwayman
                            • Feb 2009

The Mets shouldn't do anything if they are still within 5 or so of the WC. Make a run, and let these guys walk. Take the compensation.
                            I'd trade everything, Reyes included.

Comment

• EmpireWF
                              Giants in the Super Bowl
                              • Mar 2009

He'll be dealt if the Mets are completely out of the WC race (7+ games out). Otherwise, how can you deal your 2nd best hitter?

I agree.

Only thing is, they get no compensation off Beltran walking. They can't offer him arbitration.

I'd trade everything, Reyes included.
                              That'd be beyond ridiculous.

Comment

Working...