• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obst
    RIP West
    • Oct 2008

Scouting reports

Singleton

Career Synopsis: Singleton started his career in the Gulf Coast League in 2009 since he signed early. He hit .290/.395/.440 in 31 games, showing early that he had ability with the bat. Even more impressive, in the limited amount of at bats he had, was his SO/BB ratio of 13/18. Baseball America ranked him 7th in the GCL, raving about his balanced approach and the ability to hit the ball with backspin. He even earned this quote:

“He has a great idea at the plate,” Phillies manager Roly de Armas said. “He’s the best young hitter I’ve had out of high school.”

In 2010 Singleton started the year off in Extended spring training to primarily work on his defense. He was quickly moved to Lakewood in May and took off. He hit .423 and slugged an astounding .704. He quickly became the talk of all prospect discussions. Possibly the most impressive aspect of all this was that he was the youngest regular in the South Atlantic League. This is what Lakewood Blueclaws hitting coach had to say about Singleton:

“For 18 years old he sees the ball way beyond those years,” Lakewood hitting coach Greg Legg told the Asbury Park Press. “You’ve probably seen him already laying off changeups. He doesn’t waste at-bats. I’m not tinkering with him.”

After May, Singleton’s pace did slow down. He still showed impressive power and hitting ability. He finished with a .290 average, while hitting 14 home runs. Baseball America ranked him the number 1 prospect in the South Atlantic League, ahead of high around picks such as Tyler Matzek and Nolan Arenado. In December they ranked him the second best prospect in the Phillies system behind only Domonic Brown.

Following all the success this season, Jonathan has sky rocketed up top prospect lists. He is now viewed as one of the top first baseman in all of the minor leagues. Because the Phillies have Ryan Howard signed through 2016, they are making an effort to move him to a corner outfield position. The early reports are encouraging that he will be able to handle the transition. Jonathan is not expected to make the majors for at least several more years, but with comparisons to Ryan Howard and Frank Thomas, there is plenty of reason to keep a close eye on his development.

Scouting Report: Below is an assessment of Singleton’s raw tools, rated on the traditional 20-80 scouting scale. The grades are my estimation based on what I’ve read and those I’ve talked to. The second number is a future projection, the first number is the current assessment.

Hit For Average:60

Hit For Power:60/65

Fielding:50/55

Throwing Arm:45

Speed:50

Summary: Singleton’s calling card will be his bat, and he’s shown the ability to make at least average contact for a power hitter, with the chance for more as he gains experience and improves against offspeed pitching. He’s only started to tap into his raw power, and as he matures physically and learns which pitches to pull, he should develop plus power. His athleticism should allow him to be either an average or a tick below LF or a slightly above average 1B. He won’t be a base stealing threat, but he shouldn’t be a base clogger through his peak.

Upside: Singleton shows all the tools to be a well above average major league player. He has plus bat speed and a quiet swing that produces easy power. Singleton has shown the ability to hit the ball the other way, which is rare for such a young player. Another rare talent that Singleton displays is his batting eye. It’s easy to see Singleton hit .290 with 35-40 home runs and a OBP close to .400. Singleton plays a very solid first base and would be above average at the major league level. With Ryan Howard anchored at first through 2016, the question arises, where does he play? The Phillies plan to play Singleton in the outfield this year and the early reports are that he can handle the position just fine.

Cosart

Career Synopsis: After playing summer ball in 2008 prior to signing, the Phillies were very cautious with Cosart, and he did not pitch at all in 2008. After dealing with some minor health issues in the spring of 2009, the Phillies held Cosart back in extended spring training and then sent him to the GCL, where he logged just 24.1 IP, but the numbers were fine, as he struck out 25 and walked 7, while allowing only 12 hits and 0 HR. Cosart’s performance ranked him 4th in the GCL Top 20 prospects list according to BA, with them saying this:

Cosart made his pro debut this summer while battling minor shoulder issues. He didn’t have any trouble dominating GCL hitters with a fastball that sat at 93-94 mph and a true 12-to-6 curveball. He has a lean 6-foot-3, 180-pound build and works from a three-quarters arm slot.

He’s still learning to throw a changeup. Other than that, he simply needs more experience and consistency.

Big things were expected heading into 2010, but because he had pitched so little and had dealt with minor injuries, I was cautiously optimistic. The Phillies sent Cosart, who didn’t turn 20 until late May, to Lakewood, having him bypass the New York Penn League. Cosart performed well, pitching 71.1 IP, striking out 77 and walking just 16 while allowing only 3 HR and rolling up a 55% GB rate. Cosart has again dealt with some minor arm issues, and the Phillies are convinced he will be fine, they are just choosing to be cautious with him because of his tender age and lack of innings on his arm. Pitchers are the highest risk for injury between the ages of 17-23, so protecting an arm as special as Cosart’s is understandable.

Scouting Report: Below is an assessment of Cosart’s raw tools, rated on the traditional 20-80 scouting scale. The grades are my estimation based on what I’ve read and those I’ve talked to. The second number is a future projection, the first number is the current assessment

Arm Strength: 70 – Cosart has exceptional raw arm strength, capable of getting into the high 90′s and holding his velocity deep into games.

Fastball: 70/75 – Cosart’s fastball has life on it, as he is capable of generating run on a 93-94 mph fastball, or elevating and throwing even harder in the 96-97 range

Control: 60/65 – Cosart has shown excellent control thus far, walking only 16 in 71 IP in 2010, a rate of 2.02 per 9.

Command: 55/60 – Cosart has shown the ability to locate down in the zone to generate groundballs, and as he refines his mechanics, his command could improve further.

Mechanics: 55 – At draft time, he had a pronounced pause in his delivery which hindered his command. The Phillies have smoothed his delivery a bit and dropped his arm slot slightly to create more movement on his pitches.

Durability: 40/55 – Cosart has had injury issues so far in his short career, but at 6’3/180, he has room to grow and add muscle, and should develop a good pitcher’s frame capable of logging 200 innings per season.

Secondary Pitches: 50/60 – Cosart has shown a promising 12-6 curveball, and with more repetitions it should become an above average to plus pitch. His changeup is raw, but again, with time it should become at least average, giving him 3 quality ML pitches.

Upside: Cosart has true #1 SP upside. Having just turned 20, he has very little pro experience, right around 100 innings, yet he’s already flashed dominant stuff and the results to back it up against older competition. His fastball is elite, one of the best in the minor leagues, and the only red flag in his profile right now is the injury concern. The Phillies got a clean bill of health on him from noted Dr James Andrews, and insist that he will be fine with rest. In many cases, prep prospects deal with arm soreness and pain in their first full season. Its a major adjustment to get used to pitching every 5th day for 5 months, and its better to be safe than sorry.

Zeid

Career Synopsis: Zeid adjusted quickly to pro ball, pitching to a 2.03 ERA in 11 starts (57.2 IP) before the NYPL all-star break before all the innings caught up with him and he compiled a 5.32 ERA after the break. All told, he pitched 79.2 innings, with 8.1 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, a 3.6 K/BB ratio, and a low home run rate of 0.1 (just one home run allowed). Following the season, he participated in the FIL.

In 2010, Zeid spent the season at Lakewood, splitting time between starting, middle relief, and closing. He was the Phillies Minor League Pitcher of the Month for April. On the season, he pitched 107.1 innings total, keeping his walk rate identical to the prior season, but adding 1.2 strikeouts to his K rate. His home run rate stayed fairly low at 0.6. Following the season, Zeid pitched in the Arizona Fall League where he had a 12/1 K/BB ratio and held opponents to a .204 batting average. He also pitched in the Rising Stars Game.

Scouting Report: Below is an assessment of Zeid’s raw tools, rated on the traditional 20-80 scouting scale. The grades are my estimation based on what I’ve read and those I’ve talked to. The second number is a future projection, the first number is the current assessment

Arm Strength:60

Fastball:55

Control:55

Command:45/50

Mechanics:45

Durability:50

Secondary Pitches:40

Summary: Zeid’s move to the pen has allowed him to air it out a bit more, regularly sitting 93-94. He creates some deception in his delivery, allowing his fastball to play up a bit. His control has been fine as a pro, with average to a tick below command. His mechanics aren’t flawless, but it seems to work for him. He didn’t pitch a ton in college, but it wasn’t injury related, and as a reliever, he should be fine. Both his changeup and breaking ball are a tick below average, from all reports I’ve read.

Upside: Zeid’s performance through his first two years has been encouraging. His hit, home run, walk, and strikeout ratios all scream prospect. John Sickels has listed him at #13 in his 2011 list of Phillies prospects. The biggest negative on Zeid’s ledger to this point is his age, as he has been old for each stop so far. He will follow the course the Phillies have charted for most of their recent college bullpen arms, bypassing Clearwater for Reading. Expect Zeid to spend the year in Reading’s ‘pen and continued success there would place him firmly in what is becoming a stockpile of potential big league bullpen arms.

All courtesy of Phuture Phillies

Comment

• Goober
      Needs a hobby
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
      Okay, you're like the third person to tell me this, so I took a breath before thinking about a response.

Singleton and Cosart are towards the bottom of BA's Top 50 list. 41 and 43 respectively.

Pence may be having a lucky year, but he's still good. He's put up back to back season of .280+ 25homer seasons. He's hitting for better average, but less power. He's got more doubles than normal, but fewer homers. You could argue that he's not hitting the ball well.

Either way, the guy was 28, plays decent right field, hits well and for power and was under team control.

And they got two single A guys who are supposed to be good in three years and a guy who MIGHT become a number 5 starter and could PROBABLY become a decent bullpen arm? Oh and they had to pay money too? What am I missing? Seems like an awful lot of potential, but nothing that was even remotely close to certain or even probable.

I dunno. I wish I knew what other teams were offering.

So they traded a very good player for another very good player? I mean, why bother?

This. I really think the Astros should have gotten more out of this deal. The Giants gave up Zack Wheeler for 2 months of Beltran. Surely the Astros could have gotten a little more for TWO years of Pence?
      Singleton and Cosart are both better prospects then Wheeler. Who cares if their Major league ETA is 2013? The Astros are absolute shit right now, and so is their farm system. They can't even win a third of their games right now. They needed this trade just to restock the farm so they can hope on having a decent club in a few years.

The Astros aren't going to do shit for the next few years, with or without Hunter Pence. They did a good job of trading him when his value was at its highest and getting a nice return. Singleton and Cosart are both very young, but they both have star potential. Singleton has forty homerun potential, and Cosart has top of the rotation stuff.

Hunter Pence's BABIP is .370 this year, fifty points above his career average. His walks and power are down, and his strikeouts are up. I'll be honest, I'm not a Pence fan. I honestly think the Phillies will be disappointed with the production they get out of him.

Comment

• Obst
        RIP West
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Goblinslayer
        Singleton and Cosart are both better prospects then Wheeler. Who cares if their Major league ETA is 2013? The Astros are absolute shit right now, and so is their farm system. They can't even win a third of their games right now. They needed this trade just to restock the farm so they can hope on having a decent club in a few years.

The Astros aren't going to do shit for the next few years, with or without Hunter Pence. They did a good job of trading him when his value was at its highest and getting a nice return. Singleton and Cosart are both very young, but they both have star potential. Singleton has forty homerun potential, and Cosart has top of the rotation stuff.

Hunter Pence's BABIP is .370 this year, fifty points above his career average. His walks and power are down, and his strikeouts are up. I'll be honest, I'm not a Pence fan. I honestly think the Phillies will be disappointed with the production they get out of him.
        I disagree. Dom Brown is not ready to be an every day right fielder on a playoff contender, we needed a player like Pence to take over for him this year and it's a guarantee that he will produce more in this lineup. I don't think anyone is expecting MVP type numbers, but he is a guy who can add some pop to the lineup and adding a right handed bat was crucial for us. Also I think working with Charlie is going to help Pence out a bit with his approach.

Down the road, Singleton is going to be a very good player. I think he has a chance to his .280 and hit 30 HR's in his prime, but the Phillies were ok with trading him because they drafted almost his clone in the first round with Larry Greene. Cosart has a very unorthodox delivery which could result in him seeing a few injuries in his career, right now he is struggling in A ball, but he does have filthy stuff and down the road could be a number 2 guy in the rotation. The Phillies are obviously happy enough with how May, Colvin and Biddle are progressing and weren't too worried about losing Cosart. The Astros farm is so thin that this is a great move for them, and hopefully both players work out but on the other hand I don't see us being upset with Pence.

It's a great deal for both sides I think, both teams selling high on the players they need to sell high on at this time.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Pence is having arguably his best season and is a very good player who is under team control for a couple of more seasons. The Phillies just solidified their OF, added another dangerous bat to an already solid lineup, and will have the player for at least two more years. You have to make them pay a premium for that.

Sorry, Wade has to get back someone who is a lock to be on the major league roster and has a chance to be good within a year. Two single A guys who project to be in the show 3 or 4 years from now (if they ever make it) = highway robbery. Wade needed to get Brown (who I don't even love) base on principle alone. He could have gotten guys at the level he got from anyone.

With that said, perhaps the market just wasnt that strong for Pence. If I was the Braves, I would have parted with one of those arms not only to get Pence for myself, but to block him from Philly.

Comment

• Slateman
            • Apr 2009

What are you using to rate them? Baseball America has Zack Wheeler higher (#35 vs #41 & #43)

Pence is moving to a hitter's park. I expect him to be fine. His numbers will continue.

3 years is a long time in baseball time. A lot can happen. The road to the bigs is littered with Single A guys who were supposed to be big league ready in 3 years. W2BTD is right. They should have gotten someone big league ready now. Maybe not Brown, but Worley?

Either that, or I think they should have gotten more top tier talent out of the Phillies. Brody Colvin or Jesse Biddle. If you're going to take a shot in the dark from 3 years out, you should get as many chances as you can.
            The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
            As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
            If only I had died instead of you
            O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• Goober
              Needs a hobby
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slateman
              What are you using to rate them? Baseball America has Zack Wheeler higher (#35 vs #41 & #43)

Pence is moving to a hitter's park. I expect him to be fine. His numbers will continue.

3 years is a long time in baseball time. A lot can happen. The road to the bigs is littered with Single A guys who were supposed to be big league ready in 3 years. W2BTD is right. They should have gotten someone big league ready now. Maybe not Brown, but Worley?

Either that, or I think they should have gotten more top tier talent out of the Phillies. Brody Colvin or Jesse Biddle. If you're going to take a shot in the dark from 3 years out, you should get as many chances as you can.
              Minute Maid is a better hitters park then CBP.

Comment

• Goober
                Needs a hobby
                • Feb 2009

Kevin Goldstein
                Since moving to the bullpen at Double-A Reading in early June, Josh Zeid has gone 16 IP, 10 H, 2 BB, 24 K.

Comment

• manchild24
                  Kyle got fired
                  • Nov 2008

this is perfect for the phillies. Pence starts and then next season you have him and Brown on the corners as Ibanez is FA

Comment

• Slateman
                    • Apr 2009

Minute Maid is a better hitters park then CBP.
                    For his career, Pence is hitting .300/.339/.460 in Philly (114 PAs)

In Houston: .298/.349/.501

Not a whole lot of difference except in slugging. I doubt he's going to suffer much in Philly. And he'll have a whole lot more protection (if that matters).
                    The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
                    As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
                    If only I had died instead of you
                    O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Good trade for both sides IMO. Like Pete said Pence is going to shine in front of that crowd. He could stay there for years and be the likeable Paul O'Neill guy.

But I could see Singleton becoming a star in Houston. That short porch is built for his swing. Pair him and Delino Deshields, Jr. and the Astros have at least two building blocks in their infield going forward.

It is sad though that they unloaded two of the franchise's best players to the same team in back to back years and all they have to show for it is JA Happ and a bunch of raw kids.

Comment

• moneyman255
                        Noob
                        • May 2011

This was a great deal for the Phillies, but this is because I am really not a huge prospect fan. I would trade proven ML talent for any prospect in the world if it helped my team this season and I get that same player for years to come.

I am a BIG Hunter Pence fan. The guy plays with 110% effort on every single play. He has very good power (25 HR's in each of his last 3 seasons) he has decent speed and can steal a base once in awhile (61 SB in 5 seasons) and his OBP has been alright (.356 this year)

He is entering his prime of his career (turned 28 a few months ago)

He is under contract for the next few years as well. He is obviously worth way more than Beltran, and he was easily the best OF on the market.

1. He is under team control for the next 2-3 seasons
                        2. He has played in at least 156 games the past 3 seasons
                        3. He will hit for average/power

I personally love this deal for the Phillies. They get a legit bat in the lineup to go along with Howard/Utley/Rollins/Victorino etc and this trade makes them the favorites in the National League. They are scary good with that lineup and rotation and if they can add someone like Bell or Adams, then I think they would have to be favorites to win it all.

Now, for the Astros, I don't like this deal for them. I think if you are trading away a middle of the bat type player, you need to get prospects who are higher up. I would have held out for Brown and either Singleton or Cozart. They had all the leverage in this situation, and if the Phillies really wanted Pence, they would have paid that.

Brown would have given them a bat they can use right now, and someone who is 24 years old and under team control and can contribute.

The Astros traded Oswalt/Pence to the Phillies the past two years, and for the Oswalt trade all they got from him was Happ (who has a 6 ERA this season) and the prospects in this deal who are at least 3 years away imo.

Comment

• Rudi
                          #CyCueto
                          • Nov 2008

Still anxious to see what moves are coming for the Reds. Don't see us staying completely silent over the next few days

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rudi
                            Still anxious to see what moves are coming for the Reds. Don't see us staying completely silent over the next few days
                            They are clearly not throwing in the towel. Just look how Dusty managed the game tonight. He treated it like a do or die game.

-He called a hit and run with DONTRELLE WILLIS at the plate (and it worked!). So desperate to get something going.

-He came out and argued three calls early in the game, trying to keep the team fired up.

-He used Cordero & Chapman for two innings each, and Chapman pitched yesterday.

There is no reason to not keep trying to win. It's like we talked about, they don't have a ton of tradeable veteran parts to "sell" anyway. And even if they get blown away with something for Hernandez, moving him isnt giving up. Nobody wants Cordero's contract, and if you have to pay him to get someone to take him, you might as well keep him.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                              Probably owns the site
                              • Feb 2009

Looks like it comes down to Quentin, Bourn or Upton for the Braves. Ludwick and Willingham are fallback plans.

I would love to get Bourn, but since we're already lefty heavy I could see that giving the FO pause. Upton intrigues me for many reasons but he also scares me. Ultimately I'd say do it though if the price for Bourn is too high. Quentin is the best hitter of the three but he doesn't fit in our defensive alignment very well so I'd rather not do that unless it's a really undeniable price.

It'd be great if one of those teams sent over a right handed relief pitcher too. Bourn and Melancon would be fine. Or even Ludwick and Mike Adams if we made another lesser move for additional bench help.

Very interested to see how aggressively Frank Wren plays it. He's in an unenviable position.

Comment

• Chrispy
                                Needs a hobby
                                • Dec 2008

Hunter Pence
                                Dear 97.5 in Philly....your phone line is busy every time I call.

Jon Heyman
                                #braves should go for the gusto & grab b.j. upton, who could be great. scout: "he'll take off when once leaves TB.''

ESPN Stats & Info
                                Over the last four seasons, Hunter Pence is one of seven outfielders to have at least 80 home runs and 50 stolen bases (86 HR, 50 SB).

Comment

Working...