Rumor: Pitt Joining the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinsane
    • Nov 2008

I really do like the idea of Pitt joining the Big Ten. Now as for Michigan/Ohio State/Penn St./Pitt in the same division? You'd almost have to do it to keep up with the tradition. I don't see them scrapping that game for the sake of the Big Ten Championship to be on a "grander" scale.

I'd move to have the Big Ten change it's name however. MWC "Mid West Conference" comes to mind.
    25-02, 23:16 Yawkey Way celtics fucking suck

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Vinsane
      I really do like the idea of Pitt joining the Big Ten. Now as for Michigan/Ohio State/Penn St./Pitt in the same division? You'd almost have to do it to keep up with the tradition. I don't see them scrapping that game for the sake of the Big Ten Championship to be on a "grander" scale.

I'd move to have the Big Ten change it's name however. MWC "Mid West Conference" comes to mind.
      "MWC" sounds like a mid major basketball league that would have Kent St, Cleveland St, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Drake, Valporaiso, Northern Iowa, Evansville, and Butler as it's members.

Comment

• Woy
        RIP West
        • Dec 2008

You could make it like the Miami/FSU game in the ACC, where those two teams always play each other when scheduling opponents from the other division.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

It's called keeping an interdivisional permanent opponent, like the SEC and ACC have done.

As for the MWC, you ever heard of the Mountain West? They kind of have that acronym already.

Comment

• jHammack
            Noob
            • Feb 2009

I don't like the name, however I would be all for a name change. As far as keeping them in the same division to keep rivalries is a hard thing to do. I would just make the divisions and just have that certain game every year. Obviously Pitt/Penn State and Michigan/Mich St would be in the same division. From there you would have to figure it out from there. Obviously Ohio State/Michigan is a must and so is Penn State/Ohio State... Penn State/Michigan isn't that big so I would say that's the main ones that would need considered.

Originally posted by Timmy
            I don't see this happening to be honest...give me a credible source and I'll believe it. But twitter and message boards? They said the same thing about Jim Harbaugh to Kansas and how did that turn out?
            Yeah they are rumors, but that is what he said at the beginning of the post. Obviously it could fall through, but it's more than likely a done deal.

Originally posted by Woy
            You could make it like the Miami/FSU game in the ACC, where those two teams always play each other when scheduling opponents from the other division.
            +1

Comment

• Sportsbuck
              Buckeye For Life
              • Dec 2008

Under the current Big Ten scheduling format each team has 2 rivals that they play ever year and the other 6 rotate periodically.. I doubt the conference would go purely based on geographics when making up the divisions.

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                Jus' bout dat action boss
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                Can't call themselves the Big 12.....So who knows?
                The Little 12 is still available though.
                Originally posted by ram29jackson
                I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                  Jus' bout dat action boss
                  • Feb 2009

The Big East likely will just bite the bullet in regards to their football conference and go scoop up a good basketball school from C-USA (Memphis comes to mind immediately). Or they can just take the loss of a football program altogether and try to land a Xavier, Dayton, UNC Charlotte, etc.

Basically.. the BE is a terrible football conference and a bulk of their finances are brought in by basketball. I think that's going to be the focus for replacing Pitt.

As for the Pac-10, I doubt they expand to 12.. but I know the Mountain West is desperately trying to do that by adding Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State from the WAC.. so maybe this speeds up the Pac-10's efforts so that they aren't stuck in the cold.
                  Originally posted by ram29jackson
                  I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• St. Francisco
                    45-35 Never Forget
                    • Feb 2009

Big North Conference anyone?

Comment

• DaaBoTownSox
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Sportsbuck
                      Normally I woudln't post rumors like this... but for the purely hilarity of Jhammack and Pitty having to defend the B10 in the future I am going to.

Pitt supposedly informed thier scholarship athletes that they will be moving to the Big Ten, and the athletes put it up on twitter, then were told to remove it minutes later.

http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/2...28/twelfth-man
                      If true, that's huge for the Big Ten. Sucks for the Big East though :laugh:

ACCSportsNation.com - A Tradition of Excellence...Then, Now, And Always!

Comment

• Rayman
                        Spic 'n Spanish
                        • Feb 2009

Yeah, I never really bought Rutgers as a viable candidate for the Big 10.

Comment

• Vinsane
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by NAHSTE13
                          It's called keeping an interdivisional permanent opponent, like the SEC and ACC have done.

As for the MWC, you ever heard of the Mountain West? They kind of have that acronym already.
                          Oh, they're a legitimate conference? Whoops.
                          25-02, 23:16 Yawkey Way celtics fucking suck

Comment

• nesper
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RayManHCP42
                            Yeah, I never really bought Rutgers as a viable candidate for the Big 10.
                            maybe, mayeb not. There is nothing (aside from no interested team)that would stop them from going to 14 though its been one of the most media attention ideas which in reality doesn't mean anything but there has to be some fire some where for that smoke.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                              Probably owns the site
                              • Feb 2009

Oh, they're a legitimate conference? Whoops.
                              Prepare to get groaned by at least Hasselbeck, likely more. They annually buttrape other conferences (Pac 10 especially) who underestimate them, so yeah, they're legit.

Bowl record was superior to that of the Big Ten for the last few years in fact.

Comment

• Senser81
                                VSN Poster of the Year
                                • Feb 2009

What would the Big10 have to gain by adding Pitt? Its just another mouth to feed. They have pretty good athletics, but they weren't/aren't Penn State when it comes to football tradition. And, perhaps more importantly, Pitt doesn't have the academic prestige of most Big10 institutions.

Unless its Notre Dame, I don't see the Big10 adding another team any time soon.

Comment

Working...