• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperKevin
    War Hero
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by x0xHumblex0x
    but we need DBs
    Which we can also draft. The way I see it, we have 6 draft picks currently and needs at CB, OLB, ILB, WR, OL, DE. Depending on how free agency shakes out, we still could in theory fill our needs via the draft.

Besides, I seriously doubt we were going to the playoffs this year anyway so overpaying Orakpo this year isn't detrimental to long term success.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Orakpo is still an enigma, but I think the Redskins truly value that pass-rushing combination with Kerrigan and Orakpo, so I can definitely see them working out a long-term extension. I just don't how how that value translates into a guy who is average against the run and is a liability in coverage.

The position of most need isn't even DB anymore, it's inside linebacker. Riley is expected to hit free agency, Fletcher is gone and the backups have no experience starting. They have to pick up at least one starting player in FA, and likely use that second round pick on an inside linebacker if they can't bring back Riley. I think he's putting the screws to the Redskins to work more money out for himself, but they may let him walk.

I still think the best way to address the DB concerns, especially after we spent three draft choices there last year, are to make two FA signings and have those be the big splashes. I would love to bring in both Verner and Byrd now that Grimes was brought back by Miami.

Comment

• Slateman
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
        Orakpo is still an enigma, but I think the Redskins truly value that pass-rushing combination with Kerrigan and Orakpo, so I can definitely see them working out a long-term extension. I just don't how how that value translates into a guy who is average against the run and is a liability in coverage.

The position of most need isn't even DB anymore, it's inside linebacker. Riley is expected to hit free agency, Fletcher is gone and the backups have no experience starting. They have to pick up at least one starting player in FA, and likely use that second round pick on an inside linebacker if they can't bring back Riley. I think he's putting the screws to the Redskins to work more money out for himself, but they may let him walk.

I still think the best way to address the DB concerns, especially after we spent three draft choices there last year, are to make two FA signings and have those be the big splashes. I would love to bring in both Verner and Byrd now that Grimes was brought back by Miami.
        This is the problem, as far as I'm concerned. Orakpo is a linebacker and he is pretty mundane at normal linebacker things. His pass rushing ability is nice, but it's also to be expected at his position. A third of 3-4 OLBs produced 10 sacks or more last season. Guys like Clay Matthews, Terrel Suggs, and Demarcus Ware are so much better in the running game and in coverage. Orakpo isn't that good at either. He's not even the best OLB on the team in that regards. If we're going to pay him like that, I expect a lot more production in terms of sacks and FF's. Again, he's good, but not great in that category. Combine all that with his inability to be a full time player for an entire season and I don't think he's worth the money. Now, if in this season, he can stay healthy and play like he did in that 5-6 week stretch, then I'd pay him.

All of those free agent ideas are good, but I think the focus has to be the offensive line. I'm not sure Kory Lichtensteiger can block outside of a ZBS and a Shanny offense. And everyone to his right is, at best, a back up. Frankly, Chester and Montgomery should be cut. I'd love to see the Redskins pick up Alex Mack , then grab a Guard like Asamoah, Saffold, Beadles, or Schwartz. Draft a RT in the 3rd/4th round to compete with Polumbus. But the number 1 priority this offseason has to be building an offensive line to protect Griffin. He has to develop the ability to read a defense and pass. He can't do that if he's constantly running for his life.

I'm loath to sign a high priced safety. They never seem to work out. I realize it's a need, but I think there is value in this year's draft. Frankly, I think the money would be better spent on another receiver to throw to. I'm partial to Dexter McCluster. I think he is developing into a nice receiver. He ran better routes last year and improved his hands. On top of that, he fills our need for a returner. If not by the end of next season, certainly by the opening week 2015, he's a good slot receiver.

Redskins need to think long term with free agency. Can't expect to win big next year with a bad defense and new offensive system. Goal should be to sign young guys that will be here in 2015 and 2016 when the Skins make their run.
        The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
        As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
        If only I had died instead of you
        O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Slateman
          This is the problem, as far as I'm concerned. Orakpo is a linebacker and he is pretty mundane at normal linebacker things. His pass rushing ability is nice, but it's also to be expected at his position. A third of 3-4 OLBs produced 10 sacks or more last season. Guys like Clay Matthews, Terrel Suggs, and Demarcus Ware are so much better in the running game and in coverage. Orakpo isn't that good at either. He's not even the best OLB on the team in that regards. If we're going to pay him like that, I expect a lot more production in terms of sacks and FF's. Again, he's good, but not great in that category. Combine all that with his inability to be a full time player for an entire season and I don't think he's worth the money. Now, if in this season, he can stay healthy and play like he did in that 5-6 week stretch, then I'd pay him.

All of those free agent ideas are good, but I think the focus has to be the offensive line. I'm not sure Kory Lichtensteiger can block outside of a ZBS and a Shanny offense. And everyone to his right is, at best, a back up. Frankly, Chester and Montgomery should be cut. I'd love to see the Redskins pick up Alex Mack , then grab a Guard like Asamoah, Saffold, Beadles, or Schwartz. Draft a RT in the 3rd/4th round to compete with Polumbus. But the number 1 priority this offseason has to be building an offensive line to protect Griffin. He has to develop the ability to read a defense and pass. He can't do that if he's constantly running for his life.

I'm loath to sign a high priced safety. They never seem to work out. I realize it's a need, but I think there is value in this year's draft. Frankly, I think the money would be better spent on another receiver to throw to. I'm partial to Dexter McCluster. I think he is developing into a nice receiver. He ran better routes last year and improved his hands. On top of that, he fills our need for a returner. If not by the end of next season, certainly by the opening week 2015, he's a good slot receiver.

Redskins need to think long term with free agency. Can't expect to win big next year with a bad defense and new offensive system. Goal should be to sign young guys that will be here in 2015 and 2016 when the Skins make their run.
          Agree 110% with Orakpo. I would have rather started Rob Jackson on a 2-3 year deal, who always has a knack for being involved with a big play, then even give Orakpo one year on the franchise tag.

I'm not sure on the offensive line. With Foerster still on the staff, I don't think we will be going too far away from the zone-blocking scheme. This was also one of the best lines in 2012, and didn't see any changes between the years- it was the same personnel. So what changed? RGIII was holding onto the ball for far too long and kept taking hits. Alfred Morris only saw a drop of .2 YPC. We desperately need to upgrade at RT and continue to add depth, but I don't think we need to add wholesale changes if we are keeping with many zone-blocking plays.

Agree on safety, but Byrd is a great player and is certainly not Adam Archuleta 2.0. The deep safety is something we've been missing since Sean Taylor, and that was when our defense was at it's best. We desperately need help there, regardless of what our expectations are to compete next year.

I agree on receiver and needing a return man, and McCluster is nice, but he's a return man only for Washington. We have plenty of receivers like McCluster on the roster, but what we really need is a possession guy, like Edelman or Decker, the #2 guy behind Garcon. We have the depth to stretch the field and work out of the slot.

Comment

• Slateman
            • Apr 2009

If Jackson hadn't been treated like garbage last season, he'd be the best candidate for that Hammer ILB position. He knows how to deal with blockers and he has a nose for the ball. But he's probably gone.

Our offensive line stunk last year at pass blocking. That must improve.

Don't want Decker. He strikes me as overrated and a product of Manning. I feel the same way about Edelman. We don't have a receiver like McCluster. Moss is getting long in the tooth. Hankerson is a big, number 2 possession type. And Armstrong still struggles to run routes beyond a simple go pattern. McCluster would end up being a receiver we could put in the slot. And I don't think he would cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

If Jackson hadn't been treated like garbage last season, he'd be the best candidate for that Hammer ILB position. He knows how to deal with blockers and he has a nose for the ball. But he's probably gone.

Our offensive line stunk last year at pass blocking. That must improve.

Don't want Decker. He strikes me as overrated and a product of Manning. I feel the same way about Edelman. We don't have a receiver like McCluster. Moss is getting long in the tooth. Hankerson is a big, number 2 possession type. And Armstrong still struggles to run routes beyond a simple go pattern. McCluster would end up being a receiver we could put in the slot. And I don't think he would cost an arm and a leg.
              I'd love to bring back Riley, because he's pretty good in coverage, but I think he's pulling for too much money and the team will let him go. He and Jackson as a tandem would be pretty good, but Jackson's gone. I hope whoever signs him gives him a chance to start.

Alright, I could see McCluster, I haven't thought of him that way. Hankerson to me isn't that #2 though. His hands are still inconsistent. He's a lot like Terrell Owens if he could stay on the field. Has the size, toughness and athletic gifts, but doesn't have good hands. He works on it like Owens, but I don't trust him in that role. I could also see us taking a flyer on Kenny Britt, but that's another injury risk.

Comment

• Slateman
                • Apr 2009

No, Hank can't stay on the field enough to be a number 2. We'd look to the draft. Plus we have Reed.

Comment

• MmmmBeeeeer
                  PTFO
                  • Mar 2009

It would be pretty dumb to get rid of Cousins when you have RGIII as your QB.

Comment

• Slateman
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by MmmmBeeeeer
                    It would be pretty dumb to get rid of Cousins when you have RGIII as your QB.
                    Given that this team has many holes that need to be filled, not really. What good is a backup QB with no one to block for him and a defense that gives up almost 30 points a game. If a team is dumb enough to offer a 3rd rounder or better for Cousins, you take and run.

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                      Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                      • Jul 2010

gonna be a long season
                      3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• MmmmBeeeeer
                        PTFO
                        • Mar 2009

Given that this team has many holes that need to be filled, not really. What good is a backup QB with no one to block for him and a defense that gives up almost 30 points a game. If a team is dumb enough to offer a 3rd rounder or better for Cousins, you take and run.
                        I am going to digress instead of going on a RGIII rant because I don't think it is productive to this thread.

Comment

• Slateman
                          • Apr 2009

I am going to digress instead of going on a RGIII rant because I don't think it is productive to this thread.
                          Even if you think RGIII is going to bust, the Redskins are committed to him for the future. Cousins is not good, we saw that this season. He has one decent game, against the Browns. If someone is dumb enough to give up a draft pick for Kirk Cousins, you take that shit and run like you just stole a purse from the little old lady on the sidewalk.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                            • Sep 2024

I agree with you. I really think having a quality backup who has game experience in the NFL is extremely underrated, and as a Colts fan, you know that.

I also think our team is not as bad as slate man said. My point all along with the offensive line was that RGIII got hit because he was trying to prove himself and make things happen. He held onto the ball for far too long and kept getting hurried, hit and sacked.

Case in point, in five games, three of which were starts, Cousins threw the ball 155 times, and was sacked five times. That is one sack every 31 attempts, which pretty much equates to 1.5 per game. RGIII, in 13 starts, threw the ball 456 times and was sacked 38 times. That's one sack every 12 attempts, quite a large difference. We do need to upgrade at right tackle, but this line is not as bad as people are making it out to be.

The defense does need a lot of work, but remember that our offense could not move the ball for quarters and even halves at a time, leaving the defense out to dry. There is some decent talent, especially in the front seven, but the secondary needs an upgrade as far as top end talent goes, and we need inside linebackers.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                              • Sep 2024

Carriker is officially gone it seems, as is Sav Rocca. Allen also cut Shanahan RB experiments Jawan Jamison and David Meggett, as well as TE Richard Quinn.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                                • Sep 2024

The team remains "far apart" in negotiations with Perry Riley. Like I've mentioned before, it seems he thinks he can hold the Redskins hostage because it will certainly be tough to replace two inside linebackers, as well as replace Fletcher as the signal caller on defense. I still want Riley back, but he's going to test the open market for sure. I don't count on him being back, either. Allen won't overspend for him.

Comment

Working...