Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slateman
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
    The team remains "far apart" in negotiations with Perry Riley. Like I've mentioned before, it seems he thinks he can hold the Redskins hostage because it will certainly be tough to replace two inside linebackers, as well as replace Fletcher as the signal caller on defense. I still want Riley back, but he's going to test the open market for sure. I don't count on him being back, either. Allen won't overspend for him.
    I do not understand this team at all. Essentially overpaid for Orakpo and now trying to low ball Riley.

Groan me all you want, but Riley is a better linebacker than Orakpo. He's probably the best player on the defense. He's also been the one groomed to take over as the defensive captain. If Donald Butler can get 6.5 million, Riley is worth 7-8.

Oh and let's not forget, the Redskins are a dysfunctional franchise that has struggled to win. That means you have to spend a little more on players to bring them to Washington.
    The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
    As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
    If only I had died instead of you
    O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Slateman
      I do not understand this team at all. Essentially overpaid for Orakpo and now trying to low ball Riley.

Groan me all you want, but Riley is a better linebacker than Orakpo. He's probably the best player on the defense. He's also been the one groomed to take over as the defensive captain. If Donald Butler can get 6.5 million, Riley is worth 7-8.

Oh and let's not forget, the Redskins are a dysfunctional franchise that has struggled to win. That means you have to spend a little more on players to bring them to Washington.
      No, I agree with you 100%. It's a case of the Redskins ridiculously overvaluing the bookend pass-rushers. Riley is a much more important piece to the long-term success of the team than Orakpo in every scenario.

I do think he's holding out for more, but it would be interesting to see what the numbers being discussed are.

Comment

• SuperKevin
        War Hero
        • Dec 2009

Redskins re-signed ILB Perry Riley to a 3 year 13M dollar contract. That's an incredible bargain if you ask me.

They also signed WR Andre Roberts to a 4 year 16M dollar contract. I like Roberts but he's another sub 6 foot WR. I was hoping we'd grab a larger target. It appears that Gruden is going to stick with the safe passing game that relies on yards after catch

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

I like Roberts for the slot, but I would have preferred another receiver, not even worried about size. Jordan Reed has size and can be moved around to different spots, and Hankerson has the size as well. I think us holding onto Santana Moss for a season may mean that we are playing it safe to evaluate the rest of the receivers to see who fits and who doesn't.

On the plus side, Garcon plays much bigger than he actually is.

I would have thought for sure that Riley was going to get more, that's a damn good bargain done by Allen.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

Nevermind, I see that Moss is currently a FA. Good news, I thought for some reason we had brought him back.

I still think we could end up with another receiver. Roberts has experience as a returner, and that's an area where we could put him as well.

Comment

• Slateman
              • Apr 2009

Great deal on Riley. I'm quite surprised they got him for that little.

I also like the Roberts signing. Can return kicks. Leaves us to draft someone in to compete with Hankerson for the number 2 spot. Also means Robinson stays on the team and can be burner.

Decent start to free agency. Need to address the offensive line. As far as I can tell, we have one legit starter.
              The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept.
              As he went, he said: "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom!
              If only I had died instead of you
              O Absalom, my son, my son!"

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Slateman
                Great deal on Riley. I'm quite surprised they got him for that little.

I also like the Roberts signing. Can return kicks. Leaves us to draft someone in to compete with Hankerson for the number 2 spot. Also means Robinson stays on the team and can be burner.

Decent start to free agency. Need to address the offensive line. As far as I can tell, we have one legit starter.
                We've already been over that, but at the going rate for tackles right now, I don't think we are going to find the position of most need at an affordable cost. Might have to look OT with the third or fourth round pick.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Santana Moss back on a one year deal........

Comment

• SuperKevin
                    War Hero
                    • Dec 2009

Redskins sign former Browns guard Shawn Lauvao to a 4 year 17M dollar deal. I don't know much about him other than he'll likely start for us

Comment

• buckeye
                      Noob
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                      Redskins sign former Browns guard Shawn Lauvao to a 4 year 17M dollar deal. I don't know much about him other than he'll likely start for us
                      Hasn't been healthy in 2 years....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Is he a better fit at RG or LG? Will be interesting to see where he is slotted, because we obviously didn't pay him that much money to be a backup. It's probably Chester being moved into a reserve role or getting cut.

If Lauvao has problems with injury, then we need to keep Chester. With the exception of one or two games at RT, this line has started every game together for the past two seasons.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                          • Sep 2024

We've also signed ILB Adam Hayward to a three year deal, likely a backup to give us depth at MLB. BigBucs, anything you can tell us about him?

Comment

• x0xHumblex0x
                            Forgeddaaabooouuutiiiit
                            • Jul 2010

Official Washington Redskins Forum Thread: Jay Gruden new coach

Moss just agreed to contract too.
                            garçon, moss and roberts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk;
                            MFer
                            3rd & 14, inside your own 15, up 6, 3:20min left to go = call a PA Pass and Cancel. *its Legit, so no needless complaining

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                              • Sep 2024

The team has visits set up for Ravens CB Corey Graham and Texans DE Antonio Smith. Graham would be a good signing to start opposite of Hall, and in nickel sets, Hall can take the slot receiver with Graham and Amerson on the outside.

Antonio Smith would provide a three-down lineman for the defensive line, as he is a very good pass-rusher in the 3-4 and is a solid run-stopper. That would allow us to play a rotation on the opposite end with Jenkins/Golston for run downs and Bowen as a pass-rusher.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                                War Hero
                                • Dec 2009

I'm excited for the Antonio Smith visit. He's one of the more reliable 3-4 DE's in the league. Graham is meh but there aren't many options left

Comment

Working...