Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
    Can you guys go watch the play? If he's hit in stride there's NOTHING Blackburn could have done.

He didn't run an out, he faked out and went down the seam.
    how and when was he going to be able to hit him in stride?

Comment

• bucky
      #50? WTF?
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer

If Yates did nothing to stand out and Brees played well but threw a pick to seal the game I don't think less of Brees and think any more of Yates.

Excuse me for not being simple minded.
      So your putting Yates and Brees on equal footing? The same level? Yates not making mistakes in a big game like the SB IS playing well for him. You're talking about a Rookie that wasn't really highly regarded.

On the other hand, you have a League MVP type QB (I don't think he's won one yet, but he's still league MVP caliber) that blows a SB win with a late game int (in our fictional game - tell Killgod this is just fictional).

I judge a Yates and Brees differently. Brees has proven to be an MVP caliber QB. Yates hasn't come close to that yet. Brees is toward the top and it's difficult to stay at that level. Yates has a long way to go to reach Brees. Yates legacy has MUCH MORE ROOM to improve, with him starting toward the bottom. It wouldn't take much to elevate Yates. In fact, I would say, Yates has been elevated by his play this season. He just has much more room to grow than Brees. It's not simple minded.

Comment

• killgod
        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jms493
        how and when was he going to be able to hit him in stride?
        Pretty sure Brady's range is beyond 45 yards.

Comment

• killgod
          OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MattUM2
          I was at the game.

Seam isn't running to the other side of the field
          He faked out and went up the seam. He slowed down as the play broke down, realized Brady was still up and took off toward the corner, which obviously wasn't part of the route but the play call was a fake out and up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5snDQnd_Mw"]Super Bowl XLVI (46) Chase Blackburn Interception (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by bucky
            So your putting Yates and Brees on equal footing? .
            No.

Try again.

that blows a SB win with a late game int
            How did each play?

I judge a Yates and Brees differently
            So do I. Hence why I don't choose to elevate or diminish the guy based on one game.

Comment

• jms493
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
              Pretty sure Brady's range is beyond 45 yards.
              On a designed play with out being pressured or having a pass rusher jumping in your face.....sure no problem.

I understand he was just trying to make a play but to an injured Gronk on first down in the 4th quarter. IMO it was way too risky of a play for the situation.....

That is a ball silly Eli would throw......i dont expect that from tom terrific.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

So scramble drill?

Dumb throw to make. He could have ran for 3-5 yards, or maybe thrown the ball to the BGE at the first down marker that had 5 yards of spacing from Aaron Ross.

He had better choices to make then to go for it all.
                LOL at this. Brady was hit immedietly after he threw the ball. LOL at Brady running anywhere on that play for a gain.

Comment

• jms493
                  • Feb 2009

on the other hand Chase makes that interception 1/100 times..........so what ever. nice play Chase!

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Well you do have to slow down and set your feet to throw the ball which allowed JPP to hit him once he threw it.
                    Yeah true. I mean had Brady not slowed down I doubt JPP would have been able to catch him in the backfield.................................

:joeybats:

Comment

• Bear Pand
                      RIP Indy Colts
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Villain
                      So basically Bear Pand was just pointing out a rather agreeable sentiment that Tom Brady, while being a great QB, is not what the hyperbole-fueled media makes him out to be? He's great but he's not a God? I think we knew that.

What's the point of this thread again?
                      i think its pretty clear from fans/media over the years that people dont really know it

Comment

• bucky
                        #50? WTF?
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                        No.
                        So do I. Hence why I don't choose to elevate or diminish the guy based on one game.
                        If Yates made it to the SB, he would have had to perform well in more than just ONE game.

I don't base things off of one game either. I based Brett on many playoff games. And I also base things off of NE's playoffs since their SB wins. With Brett it was multiple times he made those big playoff mistakes. NE's offense scored around 14 points in the last two SB's and besides the last two SB runs, haven't been much of a playoff presence since the SB wins. The 4th QTR int just adds to Brady's "GOAT" or "non GOAT" legacy, along with NE's not having the same playoff presence and scoring so few points in the SB's when the did make these last two playoff runs. I'm looking at NE's and Brady's performances since those SB wins. I realize Brady wasn't the sole reason NE won those SB's, he had good D's those years and a consistently good kicker, but he was a big part of those SB wins.

To me, he's still in the convo for "GOAT" and a sure fire first ballot HOFer. As great as Brett was during the Regular season, I have Brady greater than Brett because of Brett's multiple playoff mistakes. I'm still glad to have had Brett, and he should be considered one of the all time best, but I just don't have Brett in the "GOAT" convo. I think Brady at least belongs in the convo. Eli doesn't. Yet Eli's has to be elevated for his game winning SB drives and Brady has to take a hit for his offense scoring so few points in the last two SB's against the Giants, the playoff losses since the SB wins, the 4th QTR int in this last SB.

QB's don't always play at the same level during their entire career. Ralaw might think so, but they don't.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

HE HAD A STEP ON HIM...kinda like Gronk on Blackburn
                          Yeah, I mean JPP and Brady running togetehr is totally like Gronk and Blackburn running together.

:gayrod:
                          If Yates made it to the SB, he would have had to perform well in more than just ONE game.
                          Arguable

You don't know that.

And perform well relative to what?

I don't base things off of one game either.

Some stupid shit
                          I saw "Brett" and quit reading.

He's irrelevant to this discussion.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Yeah, I mean chasing someone at an angle is totally like running at a straight line.
                            Yeah I mean JPP running down Tom Brad at an angle would be so out of the realm of what we know about each player and their abilities.

Comment

• Bear Pand
                              RIP Indy Colts
                              • Feb 2009

I think this is being pretty objective and fair. Maybe you can move a few games around:

Since 05

Good Games:
                              05 Jaguars
                              06 Jets
                              07 Jaguars
                              11 Broncos

OK Games:
                              06 Colts
                              07 Giants
                              11 Giants

Bad Games (Choke Jobs)
                              05 Denver
                              06 Chargers
                              07 Chargers
                              09 Ravens
                              10 Jets
                              11 Ravens

It's easy when you get to play the Tebows or the damn Jags. And SMH at two of the "good games" being some of the biggest collaspes/upsets we've seen.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

The angle JPP had to run down Brady would have gave him 3-5 yards if he ran.

10 Yards if he threw to BGE at the first down marker.

Or throw a 65 yard pass to a TE with an High Angle sprain.

GREAT DECISION
                                Oh sweet a choose your own adventure book!

Comment

Working...