X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigHouseUSA
    Late to the party.
    • Jun 2009

The time zone issue? Like Korea/Japan 2002? Oh yeah. Not sure when stadiums ever became an issue in Australia, they've always had the infrastructure, and just as much media support as the US. The US or Australia were the countries to pick for 2022, but oil money is much more interesting to FIFA. Lets just hope in 2022 we can return to a football rich country who will put on a good show.
    Originally posted by mgoblue2290
    If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• Goober
      Needs a hobby
      • Feb 2009

What exactly are people supposed to do In Qatar when they aren't watching the soccer games? I mean shit, at least in South Africa people could go on a safari, or throw on a few rubbers and bang some AIDS infested sluts. I don't think there's a damn thing to do in Qatar.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
        I Can Score Goals
        • Dec 2008

See this what I mean about being ignorant (not you in particular BH), how much do you guys really know about these bids. The large stadiums in Australia are for Aussie Rules, the AFL season would conflict with the WC and Australia couldn't guarantee the use of the, hence why Melbourne wasn't the final host and Australia's media has been pretty negative about the bid. I'm not naïve was there wheeling and dealing going on behind closed doors, without a doubt, did oil money help, yeah but Qatar did some serious work to even get to this stage. Chill out FIFA obviously wanted to go with new nations and I'd put any money on the US getting 2026.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
          I Can Score Goals
          • Dec 2008

What a first half from PSG and Sevilla, been awesome so far.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
            Late to the party.
            • Jun 2009

I'm not worried about the US getting it or not, as I'm sure they'll get '26, but I don't think this was the right time to go with Qatar. You had the US or Australia, even if they had conflicting stadiums, Australia have the money to make more. At this point, Qatar have the money to support this, despite being particularly small. But who fucking knows in 2022? Look at the UAE, they were rich for a few years before going all out on tourism and going completely bankrupt. This is probably what will happen to Qatar. A small nation like that can only last so long spending so much money, the oil business can drastically change in the next twelve years as well with the reemergence of electrical cars. This was just not a safe pick at all, especially after picking two third world countries and one run by the mafia.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
              I Can Score Goals
              • Dec 2008

You're missing the point though BH, Australia's bid just wasn't sound enough to ever be a real possibility and that's gotta fall on Australia, nothing to do with oil money as some would have you believe. This is a one off thing, Qatar is the only country that could pull something like this off, Qatar won't go bust, there econmy is continually growing, I read a great piece that explained really thoroughly why it's not an issue, I'll try and find it and link you. This was a one off opportunity to send such a massive global event to the Middle East and FIFA made the right decision (however much it was influenced by oil money) imo, it's an excellent chance for the reral world to appreciate modern arab culture and to dispel these unfortunate stereotypes that idiots like Goblinslayer have about the ME/Arabs in general. It was now or never. Have a good look at what they plan to do, it is pretty awesome.

sidenote: this PSG-Sevilla match really is outstanding, anyone else watching?

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                I am not Abe Kabbible
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by CaribbeanJoseph
                I know your miffed about losing out but you guys are really overreacting.
                I'm not miffed at losing anything, my country was never in the voting and there is absolutely no chance of us qualifying for either tournament so I wouldn't be going even if it was right next door in England.

I'm thinking in terms of the experience for the thousands of spectators who will be going to what is essentially a six-week long party of a lifetime. Have you ever seen football boys on tour? All I can say is Qatar will either have to have a massive program of social liberalisation between now and 2022 or it will have to charter twenty jumbo jets each day to cope with the number of probable deportations.

I think it's odds on that there will be at least one openly gay international footballer by 2022, will he be allowed to play? Will he be allowed to take his partner? Or will the prospect of not being able to play in the World Cup affect his decision to come out in the first place?

As for Russia, well, the most corrupt country in the world and the most corrupt sports governing body in the world...you could have bet your house on the outcome of that one.
                Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                  I Can Score Goals
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by relaxedanderson
                  I'm not miffed at losing anything, my country was never in the voting and there is absolutely no chance of us qualifying for either tournament so I wouldn't be going even if it was right next door in England.

I'm thinking in terms of the experience for the thousands of spectators who will be going to what is essentially a six-week long party of a lifetime. Have you ever seen football boys on tour? All I can say is Qatar will either have to have a massive program of social liberalisation between now and 2022 or it will have to charter twenty jumbo jets each day to cope with the number of probable deportations.

I think it's odds on that there will be at least one openly gay international footballer by 2022, will he be allowed to play? Will he be allowed to take his partner? Or will the prospect of not being able to play in the World Cup affect his decision to come out in the first place?

As for Russia, well, the most corrupt country in the world and the most corrupt sports governing body in the world...you could have bet your house on the outcome of that one.
                  Its all been addressed already, Qatar have already said that this will not apply to the WC visitors.

As for Russia I gotta say I was actually pretty surprised I was certain it was gonna be the Iberian and Qatari bids.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                    Late to the party.
                    • Jun 2009

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBqtQjJqSQw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

• Chrispy
                      Needs a hobby
                      • Dec 2008

Dont worry guys, nobody will even be here after 2012...

I was just thinking, what happens if Qatar goes bankrupt before 2022 and they don't have enough funds to make the world cup happen?

Comment

• citizenerased
                        Rugby World Cup Champion
                        • Mar 2009

See this what I mean about being ignorant (not you in particular BH), how much do you guys really know about these bids.
                        LOL

The large stadiums in Australia are for Aussie Rules
                        Nope. The only large AFL stadium is the MCG - Which is actually the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Guess who owns it - hint, it's not the AFL or any of the AFL clubs. They've hosted big soccer games at the MCG before, where do you think the Socceroo's always played the home leg of the World Cup playoff round before they joined the Asian League?

The SFS, Lang Park and Stadium Australia are both rectangular and used for Rugby and League.

What large stadiums does Qatar have by the way?

the AFL season would conflict with the WC and Australia couldn't guarantee the use of the, hence why Melbourne wasn't the final host
                        Keep up son, they sorted this shit out in May. The AFL and NRL agreed to work around the World Cup and get a nice little slice of the pie in return. The MCG was one of the potential Opening and Final sites. The only problem they had was with Docklands, but that would've been a third option in Melbourne behind the MCG (Which has twice the capicity) and AAMI Stadium (Purpose built for Rugby and Soccer) anyway.

and Australia's media has been pretty negative about the bid.
                        If by the media you mean a couple of AFL spastics in the Hearld Sun who think that Aussie Rules Football is about to sweep the world and the usual hippies who bitch about these sort of things in all the bid countries (except Russia where Putin shot them)

I'm not naïve was there wheeling and dealing going on behind closed doors, without a doubt, did oil money help, yeah but Qatar did some serious work to even get to this stage.
                        lulz, you obviously are niave if you think that Qatar had some great technical bid going, it's a little country with no people, no infrastructure and no experience hosting events. We (New Zealand) are probably more qualified to host the damn thing. We have 2.5 times the population, hosted the RWC and the Commonwealth Games. All we have to do is tap into the oil that the Greens wont let us and we can bribe our way to glory.

You're missing the point though BH, Australia's bid just wasn't sound enough to ever be a real possibility and that's gotta fall on Australia, nothing to do with oil money as some would have you believe. This is a one off thing, Qatar is the only country that could pull something like this off
                        Yeah, Australia would have no shot of pulling it off. I mean, it isn't like they organised the best run Olympic Games your ever likely to see or anything. Much better to give it to the little Arab country who will build temporary stadiums, probably like to stone gays and have a population about the size of Auckland.

I can't wait to see what happens if Israel qualifies for 2022.
                        Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• Chrispy
                          Needs a hobby
                          • Dec 2008

According to the Washington Post, public drunkenness and open displays of drinking alcohol are strictly forbidden, though Qatar officials have vowed to create reserved spaces during the games.
                          Reserved spaces?!?!

According to British travel advisories, women must cover shoulders, and foreigners should avoid wearing short skirts in public.
                          lolwtf, the temp is already over 100

Who would want to go to a country like that

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                            Posts too much
                            • Feb 2009

I'm sure FIFA considers itself progressive for giving a backwards country like Qatar the World Cup. The corruption and bribes given for World Cup bids must be off the charts.

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                              Late to the party.
                              • Jun 2009

If you want to get even angrier, read this book.

Comment

• citizenerased
                                Rugby World Cup Champion
                                • Mar 2009

Yeah, I read that book awhile ago. Funnily enough Jack Warner seems to pop alot in that book.

Also recommend the Lord of the Rings and the New Lord of the Rings by the same author. Does the same sort of the thing as that book to the IOC.
                                Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

Working...