X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calgaryballer
    Tiote!
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by CaribbeanJoseph
    Qatar have already said if they qualify there will be no issue with them competing.

They can't enter because Qatar doesn't recognise Israel as a state, this is nothing unique to Qatar, it's a show of Arab unity and the majority of Arab countries don't. It's a deep rooted issue in the area that is 100s of years old and to be brutally honest Israel only have themselves to blame.
    If Israel were to host the games, do you think a ban on Arab's would go over well? Apparently it's their country so they can do what they like...

I don't want to go to a World Cup were I have to get permission to be myself.

Comment

• kmanharris
      Seven
      • Oct 2008

Qatar have already said if they qualify there will be no issue with them competing.

They can't enter because Qatar doesn't recognise Israel as a state, this is nothing unique to Qatar, it's a show of Arab unity and the majority of Arab countries don't. It's a deep rooted issue in the area that is 100s of years old and to be brutally honest Israel only have themselves to blame.
      Of course they will say that. In order to get the bid they couldn't go around saying "well if Israel qualifies they won't be allowed in." Qatar said the things that they had to say and paid the people that they had to pay.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
        I Can Score Goals
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by calgaryballer
        If Israel were to host the games, do you think a ban on Arab's would go over well? Apparently it's their country so they can do what they like...
        I don't want to go to a World Cup were I have to get permission to be myself.
        That's your prerogative, just because you don't doesn't mean that others won't want to and enjoy the experience, I for one will.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
          I Can Score Goals
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kmanharris
          Of course they will say that. In order to get the bid they couldn't go around saying "well if Israel qualifies they won't be allowed in." Qatar said the things that they had to say and paid the people that they had to pay.
          This WC is a advertisement for Qatar, they aren't stupid, refusing to allow Israel to compete would be a horrible pr move, if Israel qualifies it won't be an issue. This is all a moot point though tbh because the chances of Israel qualifying are slim to none lol.

Comment

• relaxedanderson
            I am not Abe Kabbible
            • Feb 2009

This WC is a advertisement for Qatar, they aren't stupid, refusing to allow Israel to compete would be a horrible pr move, if Israel qualifies it won't be an issue. This is all a moot point though tbh because the chances of Israel qualifying are slim to none lol.
            What about the supporters though? Will they let 10,000 Israeli fans spend a month wandering around Doha draped in Israeli flags? If they do, will they be able to guarantee their safety and security? I know they are unlikely to qualify but then again fate likes to kick things like this up every now and then just for the hell of it.

There are a lot of questions around this tournament.
            Z(u, w) = Z0(w)[1-exp{-b(w)u}]

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
              I Can Score Goals
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by relaxedanderson
              What about the supporters though? Will they let 10,000 Israeli fans spend a month wandering around Doha draped in Israeli flags? If they do, will they be able to guarantee their safety and security? I know they are unlikely to qualify but then again fate likes to kick things like this up every now and then just for the hell of it.

There are a lot of questions around this tournament.
              I've been wondering this myself because it hasn't been addressed yet afaik, Qatar have said 'everyone is welcome' I'm assuming this covers the fans as well and some kind of arrangement will be made if they qualify, now if Israeli fans would want to travel is another question.

There are many questions but it's a bit early, things should become clearer as we get a bit closer as work starts and things are firmed up. It's a bold move by FIFA and there are definitely risks, the way I see it, this tournament is either gonna be a massive flop or one of the best ever. The one certainty is that Qatar will pull out all the stops and if they can manage what they outlined in their bid then this tournament will be a success..

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                I am not Abe Kabbible
                • Feb 2009

Still, at least it means Wales are in with a chance of hosting one in the future, we're twice the size and have twice the population of Qatar!

Our bid could be "We're bigger than the last lot, we sell beer and your eyeballs won't melt when you go outside. Bring an umbrella".

I'm just off to start the Wales 2026 campaign.
                Well, I was only joking but while I was writing this in jest someone actually did start the campaign.

Back The Bid: Wales 2026. 750 likes. If Qatar can, we can!

I'm looking forward to Max Boyce, Ruth Madoc and Mickey Thomas doing our presentation to FIFA.

:D

...and she said "Well I don't think you're a fishmonger. I think you've done a plop in the wrong lavatory."

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                  I Can Score Goals
                  • Dec 2008

Well, I was only joking but while I was writing this in jest someone actually did start the campaign.

I'm looking forward to Max Boyce, Ruth Madoc and Mickey Thomas doing our presentation to FIFA.

Oh if only that could ever happen, the endless misery that would give the English would be priceless :D

Someone should probably tell them to change it to 2030 lol.

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                    I am not Abe Kabbible
                    • Feb 2009

Oh if only that could ever happen, the endless misery that would give the English would be priceless :D

Someone should probably tell them to change it to 2030 lol.
                    That's how we'd win it. We wouldn't have to worry about presentations, facilities, funding, schmoozing or bribing. We'd just say "Give it to us Sepp, it would REALLY wind up the English".

Nailed-on, guaranteed.

Comment

• citizenerased
                      Rugby World Cup Champion
                      • Mar 2009

Carribean would've been perfect in Nazi Germany.

"I don't agree with what goes on but I respect that they do things differently and its their country and that that's the way things are done, so if they want to round the Jews, Gypsies and Gays, that's fine by me"

"This whole our way is the only/better way is what pisses me off and the 'world police' attitude is why most of the world hates us, so all this outcry over Saddam using mustard gas on all those little Kurdish villages is just another example of American Exceptionalism at it's worst"

Aborigines are still treated like shit today it's not a thing of the past
                      Get a clue please, seriously. The only people who treat Aborigines like shit today are their own community leaders. They are the ones who spend all day chasing out the aid workers and doctors, they are the ones who riot whenever the police get called in to arrest all the adults who spend all day huffing glue, getting drunk and touching all the little kids. You think they government had to ban alcohol in their shanty towns (which they by and large refuse to leave and intergrate into mainstream society) because John Howard just felt like sticking it to the darkies?
                      Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair

Comment

• killgod
                        OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                        • Oct 2008

Not to poo on your joke or anything, but is 2026 even possible?

My understanding is that a region cannot host again within 2 World Cups of that region hosting. So with Russia hosting in 2018, doesn't that nullify the region of UEFA for 2022 and 2026?

2026 should be an interesting bid. With UEFA/AFC out of the running, the assumed Uruguay 2030 hosting (100th Anniversary) puts CONMEBOL out of the running too.

Australia, Africa (likely Egypt) and North America (either US or Mexico) would probably be the only ones that could land it.

Fuck it, Canada 2026. :fuckyocouch:

Comment

• citizenerased
                          Rugby World Cup Champion
                          • Mar 2009

Qatar's part of the AFC, so I don't think Australia can bid again until at least 2034, by that time you'll probably have India and China launching bids, with Japan and Korea both being viable options again since it would've been over 3 decades since they hosted it in 2002. This was probably's Australias shot, well, it was until Qatar had to start throwing oil money around when they realised that they had the worst bid. Actually I lie, they led their competition in one criteria that FIFA simply wouldn't bend the rules for, even for all the oil money in the world.

121 Qatar

140 Russia

I can't wait till a BBC on the warpath tears them apart.

Africa probably won't be in with another shot for a while since it's not really the place you go every 16 years.

Comment

• killgod
                            OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by citizenerased
                            Qatar's part of the AFC, so I don't think Australia can bid again until at least 2034, by that time you'll probably have India and China launching bids, with Japan and Korea both being viable options again since it would've been over 3 decades since they hosted it in 2002. This was probably's Australias shot, well, it was until Qatar had to start throwing oil money around when they realised that they had the worst bid. Actually I lie, they led their competition in one criteria that FIFA simply wouldn't bend the rules for, even for all the oil money in the world.

121 Qatar

140 Russia

I can't wait till a BBC on the warpath tears them apart.

Africa probably won't be in with another shot for a while since it's not really the place you go every 16 years.
                            Ah, figured Australia was part of Oceanialand or whatever the fuck.

So presumably 2026 is Americans then?

p.s. Where the fuck is Julian Assange when you need him. Leak some FIFA shit and get this over with.

Comment

• relaxedanderson
                              I am not Abe Kabbible
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                              Not to poo on your joke or anything, but is 2026 even possible?

My understanding is that a region cannot host again within 2 World Cups of that region hosting. So with Russia hosting in 2018, doesn't that nullify the region of UEFA for 2022 and 2026?

2026 should be an interesting bid. With UEFA/AFC out of the running, the assumed Uruguay 2030 hosting (100th Anniversary) puts CONMEBOL out of the running too.

Australia, Africa (likely Egypt) and North America (either US or Mexico) would probably be the only ones that could land it.

Fuck it, Canada 2026. :fuckyocouch:
                              Word is that with Kazakhstan moving from AFC to UEFA and Australia moving from OFC to AFC Wales are looking for a move from UEFA to CONCACAF. We quite fancy a bit of the easy street that the US and Mexico get when it comes to qualifying.

Rather than having to play Germany, Czech Republic and Switzerland every bloody tournament we reckon that a few games against Montserrat, St Kitts and Nevis, Aruba and Turks and Caicos Islands could see us pick up a couple of draws at home if we play really well and get a little bit of luck.

Comment

• citizenerased
                                Rugby World Cup Champion
                                • Mar 2009

Qatar’s bid to host the soccer World Cup is the only one of nine contenders to stage the event in 2018 or 2022 to receive an overall “high” operational risk rating from the sport’s governing body.

Obviously Qatar won on the strength of their bid, not the oil money.

Looking forward to the Ghana/New Zealand Round of 16 match at the old Cardiff Arms Park in 2026.

Comment

Working...