X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manchild24
    Kyle got fired
    • Nov 2008

I was soooo bored Thursday night I watched TNA again. DAMN Im dumb.

Hogan Sting, hang it up already.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
      No longer a noob
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by manchild24
      I was soooo bored Thursday night I watched TNA again. DAMN Im dumb.

Hogan Sting, hang it up already.
      I looked up their Impact from two weeks ago, since Roode won the #1 contender's match at whatever generic PPV they had. I figured they'd lead with him to build for BFG, which is supposed to be their biggest show of the year. Nope. They open with Flair/Sting. Like this is 1993. My interest level went from a 1 to -10 again.

Sting can still play a useful role in the promotion, but they are killing the guy. Pushing him as still a main event wrestler when he should be used in more of an Undertaker capacity. Saddling him with some dumbass Joker knockoff gimmick. Having him feud with COMPLETELY useless guys like Hogan and Flair.
      SAMSUNG-SGH-A887/A887UCIJ1 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1

Comment

• Bigpapa42
        • Feb 2009

My interest in the E's crap has been waning since they blew the whole Punk storyline by having him come back too early. So over the past month or two, I actually watched some bits of Impact here and there. Same old crap and the Sting joker gimmick doesn't do much for me. But I thought I'd give it a chance. Then they announced that they were bringing Jeff Hardy back. Even better, they were using the whole "he was fucked up and blew our PPV" as an angle.

Fuck that.

Thanks but no thanks.

I always find it amusing when fans claim they could run a promotion better than its being run. In TNA's case, I honestly believe I could. Almost anyone who posts in this thread could. Short of letting Russo go Full Retard circa WCW 2000, it really couldn't get any worse.

Comment

• EmpireWF
          Giants in the Super Bowl
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bigpapa42
          Short of letting Russo go Full Retard circa WCW 2000, it really couldn't get any worse.

But I guess it should be since it's true.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
            No longer a noob
            • Apr 2011

I just don't know which is more frustrating:

A) The E who have proven to be a competent, well-run promption in the past, capable of producing great TV and big time feel from select PPVs. Ruined over and over again by a few egos and producing safe, watered down garbage TV by and large.

or

B) TNA who has one of the most talented rosters around and has the luxury to take some risks with a solid TV deal and solid financial backing. But are ruined by utterly incompetent bosses (Dixie, Hogan, Bisch) and a writer who is the worst thing ever to happen to wrestling.

One is capable of greatness, but Trips and Vince are too stubborn to allow it. One has the tools to be great, but are too incompetent to figure out how they can do it. Besides re-creating angles from 10, 15, 20, or 25 years ago.
            SAMSUNG-SGH-A887/A887UCIJ1 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSWkm-H6xA"]CM Punk Tribute Eddie Guerrero - YouTube[/ame]

Punk tribute to Eddie in El Paso

Comment

• BigBiss
                • Mar 2009

I always find it amusing when fans claim they could run a promotion better than its being run. In TNA's case, I honestly believe I could. Almost anyone who posts in this thread could. Short of letting Russo go Full Retard circa WCW 2000, it really couldn't get any worse.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

My interest in the E's crap has been waning since they blew the whole Punk storyline by having him come back too early. So over the past month or two, I actually watched some bits of Impact here and there. Same old crap and the Sting joker gimmick doesn't do much for me. But I thought I'd give it a chance. Then they announced that they were bringing Jeff Hardy back. Even better, they were using the whole "he was fucked up and blew our PPV" as an angle.

Fuck that.

Thanks but no thanks.

Booking WRESTLING is not hard. It is the lowest form of entertainment, is Pro Wrestling. Writing stories that are coherent and make sense is easy. Heck, most of the time, shit writes itself. Wrestling story telling is the most basic form of story telling. The concepts that are used are as basic as you get.

The most difficult part is pairing up guys that work well together, but other than that, wrestling is as hard as writing a children's book.

I'm not talking about running a near-billion dollar company...I'm talking simple booking...simple story telling. You need not to be Aaron Sorkin to pull it off.

Comment

• Bigpapa42
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
                    I just don't know which is more frustrating:

A) The E who have proven to be a competent, well-run promption in the past, capable of producing great TV and big time feel from select PPVs. Ruined over and over again by a few egos and producing safe, watered down garbage TV by and large.

or

B) TNA who has one of the most talented rosters around and has the luxury to take some risks with a solid TV deal and solid financial backing. But are ruined by utterly incompetent bosses (Dixie, Hogan, Bisch) and a writer who is the worst thing ever to happen to wrestling.

One is capable of greatness, but Trips and Vince are too stubborn to allow it. One has the tools to be great, but are too incompetent to figure out how they can do it. Besides re-creating angles from 10, 15, 20, or 25 years ago.
                    TNA is more frustrating to me.

I've come to accept that I am not the WWE's target audience anymore. I'm an adult, I've enjoyed wrestling for years, and I actually like the wrestling aspects. I'm not a 9 year old kid with the attention span of a goldfish. So while I certainly get frustrated at times at the product, I always try to remember that its not really targeted to me.

TNA is targeted at me. I am their core demographic, who they are trying to attract. They just apparently believe I have an IQ of 9.

Comment

• BigBiss
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Booking WRESTLING is not hard. It is the lowest form of entertainment, is Pro Wrestling. Writing stories that are coherent and make sense is easy. Heck, most of the time, shit writes itself. Wrestling story telling is the most basic form of story telling. The concepts that are used are as basic as you get.

The most difficult part is pairing up guys that work well together, but other than that, wrestling is as hard as writing a children's book.

I'm not talking about running a near-billion dollar company...I'm talking simple booking...simple story telling. You need not to be Aaron Sorkin to pull it off.
                      there is much more to booking them telling storys and puting worker a with worker b to get a good match

Comment

• FedEx227
                        Delivers
                        • Mar 2009

At it's core though, I think his point is the biggest feds are terribly, terrible overbooked and overthought.

The basics of wrestling have been similar for the past 90 years, it's basic storytelling at it's core.
                        VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• BigBiss
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FedEx227
                          At it's core though, I think his point is the biggest feds are terribly, terrible overbooked and overthought.

The basics of wrestling have been similar for the past 90 years, it's basic storytelling at it's core.
                          that we can agree on, there is a fine line between boring booking and overbooking though

Comment

• FedEx227
                            Delivers
                            • Mar 2009

I think both organizations are overbooking.

WWE has a team of soap opera writers dissecting every minute of angles, promos, personalities, characters, etc. while at the same time Vinny Mac is changing every single thing 15 times.

TNA well c'mon it's Russo.
                            VoicesofWrestling.com

Comment

• EmpireWF
                              Giants in the Super Bowl
                              • Mar 2009

WWE's even steven booking doesn't help matters, either.

Comment

• adembroski
                                All-Inclusive!
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
                                WWE's even steven booking doesn't help matters, either.
                                They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Use shenanigans to protect the loser, it's even-steven booking and the E is afraid of clean wins. When someone does go over clean, the reaction is that the loser's buried and might as well be off TV for a month.

Example; classic formula for a 3-way feud is to have a paper-rock-scissors round robin... i.e. Cena beats Punk, Punk beats ADR, ADR beats Cena, all on consecutive nights leading into the PPV. You couldn't do that because after the FIRST friggin' show, "PUNK GOT BURIED!!!!"

So how do you get around it? Cena beats Punk because ADR interfered, Punk beats ADR because ADR gets pissy and walks the ramp, taking the countout, and ADR beats Cena because Punk distracted him.

Kind of a bad example because ADR is really nothing more than a heat magnet who's only involved so the fans can be split between Punk and Cena but still have someone to universally hate.

Tonight, excepting post-match shit, Punk went over ADR clean without a finisher, and I loved it, simply because I had no idea it was coming. Boot upside the head, ADR hits the floor, 3 count. The 900+ near falls in a lot of WWE matches do NOTHING for me because I know if it wasn't preceded by a finisher, it means nothing. This one threw me off. Minus the promos, it was an ok show. Everything related to Trips was horrid though.

Hell, I even saw a successful back body drop! I don't think I've seen one of those in 8 years. It's always boot to the head or sunset flip anymore. Cena appears to have dropped the Thesz press in favor of a much more realistic boxing combo that I kinda liked.

Shaemus had a REALLY bad spot in the battle royal where he failed to get over the ropes... I hate how they absolutely REFUSE to abandon a spot that didn't work out. Supposed to miss the brogue kick, get tangled up in the ropes, and fall over onto the apron. Instead he was sort of balancing himself on the ropes, trying pathetically to NOT look like he was falling over them on purpose. DROP THE SPOT, get there a different way, don't compound the problem by spending 10 minutes looking like a damn idiot! Sheamus is definitely my favorite in WWE, but that spot was horrid.
                                S.P.Q.A.

Comment

Working...