X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmpireWF
    Giants in the Super Bowl
    • Mar 2009

Apparently, HHH is behind the resurgent tag team division.

Hopefully this is just the beginning.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by s@ppisgod
      He just comes off as a forced Goldberg re-hash. People don't want to see the same thing, they want to see something new. He can steamroll the roster without riding by on just the look and a catchphrase. Hell, Batista didn't even need the catchphrase. I do think running up the roster is something that doesn't get used nearly enough (and squash matches). They can really get guys over, but it seems like no one ever wants to put the time in to do it. Either they never do it, or give up and jump him up the card. The slower build with Ryback was working, and they want to jump him up the card? I get that Cena was injured, but the plan was working with getting him over slowly but surely. Why deviate?
      This gimmick is a Goldberg re-hash but people DO want to see it. They love the guy. The Goldberg chants have even subsided for the corny "FEED ME MORE" shit....

I'd start keeping track of his undefeated record and put him over as the guy to beat "Goldberg's undefeated streak"...why not? It'll get him over.

Comment

• IamMedellin
        Everything Burns...
        • Nov 2008

We noted back in the summer that WWE officials were likely going to offer Brock Lesnar another deal once his current deal expires at WrestleMania 29 next year. Lesnar's future with WWE was apparently going to be decided on the SummerSlam buyrate.

Now that those numbers have came out and this year's SummerSlam was the most successful since 2008, people in WWE note that Lesnar is almost guaranteed to receive another deal from WWE next year.

Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/...vyDgrwRfgIz.99
        Kinda Suprised Trips didnt take credit

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
          This gimmick is a Goldberg re-hash but people DO want to see it. They love the guy. The Goldberg chants have even subsided for the corny "FEED ME MORE" shit....

I'd start keeping track of his undefeated record and put him over as the guy to beat "Goldberg's undefeated streak"...why not? It'll get him over.
          It's decent entertainment. A friend of mine always texts me when he knows I'm working with "Ryback squash" is on. Everyone steps up, he puts them down. A slow, steady rise like Goldberg's is the best way. I think Miz could put him over well, but I would like for them to not give Ryback the IC title, because as someone (I think it was you) said that he has to lose it. Have someone interfere in that match, and then you have Ryback technically win, but start him on another feud.

And as far as Miz is concerned, I'm sure he has to be saying "Really?" to H's right now. First he puts over Brodus Clay, and now Ryback. Not that I am a Miz fan at all, but the guy main-evented Wrestlemania two years ago, he shouldn't be the guy doing this. This is Big Show/Kane territory, to put over guys like Brodus and Ryback.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
            No longer a noob
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
            It's decent entertainment. A friend of mine always texts me when he knows I'm working with "Ryback squash" is on. Everyone steps up, he puts them down. A slow, steady rise like Goldberg's is the best way. I think Miz could put him over well, but I would like for them to not give Ryback the IC title, because as someone (I think it was you) said that he has to lose it. Have someone interfere in that match, and then you have Ryback technically win, but start him on another feud.

And as far as Miz is concerned, I'm sure he has to be saying "Really?" to H's right now. First he puts over Brodus Clay, and now Ryback. Not that I am a Miz fan at all, but the guy main-evented Wrestlemania two years ago, he shouldn't be the guy doing this. This is Big Show/Kane territory, to put over guys like Brodus and Ryback.
            That's what WWE does when you can't hold Vince's attention. At least he's not Swagger, yet....

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Fun interview with Daniel Bryan. Some interesting stuff about mid way through, breaks he caught in the indies, how William Regal helped him come up with his name and the mindset behind it, etc. Just a reall likable guy, you can see why he does so well no matter what they do with him, seems like a happy go lucky dude with no ego.

[IMG]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/01f9maAtFDk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

Comment

• SuperKevin
                War Hero
                • Dec 2009

Anyone else think the leader of Aces and Eights could end up being Garrett Bischoff in a remarkably underwhelming revalation?

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by SuperKevin
                  Anyone else think the leader of Aces and Eights could end up being Garrett Bischoff in a remarkably underwhelming revalation?
                  I think you are on the right track. He could be involved but not the leader.

Comment

• SuperKevin
                    War Hero
                    • Dec 2009

The leader with his back turned to the camera had the same build and short dark hair as Garrett.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Catching up on some of the recent Observers, and Meltzer wrote a great piece on the history of New Japan, on the heels of the fantastic year the promotion is having.

I'm gonna put a section of it here, for you guys who might want a primer on who is who in New Japan these days, I know Fed has asked about this and we talked about it on the podcast a few times. This is a good breakdown of the roster and what each guy brings to the table.

The strength of the promotion is the mix of talent. The top star, current IWGP heavyweight champion Tanahashi, is probably the best in-ring all-around talent in the business. The guy has it all, the look, the charisma, the incredible working ability and not just athletically, but his ability to understand when to do what is equal to anyone in wrestling. He also has the aura of being a real world champion who can both look and play the part. Earlier in his career, his being a small heavyweight and a pretty boy type helped and hurt. It helped in that he could get sympathy, and he was always popular with women, but guys didn’t warm up to him as quickly. That’s changed over the years, and he can project at a world champion level.

His two major rivals are Tetsuya Naito, who in a lot of ways is a younger version of himself, and Kazuchika Okada, the top heel. No promotion in the world has done a better job with a new wrestler than New Japan with Okada. He returned from TNA, where he did nothing, on the Jan. 4 Tokyo Dome show with the plan of making him a top star by making him world champion. WWE has tried the same thing, with mixed results. At first Okada stumbled, with his playboy character seeming not to fit. But he came a long way in a short period of time, a lot because of working against Tanahashi and Naito, as well as Hirooki Goto.

But everyone has their own distinct character and working style. When it comes to the world title, they are loaded with guys who can step in as revolving challengers from the regulars. Nagata is the older former champion, but is still among the best workers in the world. While it probably took him a couple of years to shake the Cro Cop loss, this fan base now doesn’t even know that existed, and probably wouldn’t care. He’s now the great worker in the mid-card who can hang with and beat anyone in the main event, with his believable style, great facials and fire. Minoru Suzuki, one of the Pancrase originators, is a charismatic heel who plays the arrogant shooter who looks like he’s being uncooperative in his matches. That creates this idea he’s a heel asshole going against the grain when it’s actually his working style that clicks. Togi Makabe is the brawler, whose chain, entrance music and big moves like the kneedrop, were taken from the late Bruiser Brody. Goto is a guy who has won the big tournaments, and beaten everyone at one time or another, but never wins the real big one. Nakamura was Tanahashi’s career rival, who at one point was groomed to be the top star of the company because he was bigger and had the strong background as a college wrestling star. But he was only so-so in the ring and had below average charisma. He’s remade himself with a new character and can always headline and do well if needed, perhaps like the Carolinas Greg Valentine to Tanahashi’s Ric Flair. There’s even Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan, a legendary team from a decade earlier, who are both no longer top singles guys due to injuries, but are very effective as the “house” tag team.

Then there is the junior heavyweight division. The big star is actually a full-time foreigner, Fergal “Prince” Devitt, who is also one of the best workers in the business. But it’s filled with talented foreigners like Low Ki, Alex Koslov and Rocky Romero, and perhaps Alex Shelley joining the ranks. There are also Luchadors from CMLL, which works closely with New Japan, like Angel de Oro, who have gotten a following. And there are the veterans like Jushin Liger, still a legend at 47 years old who is the guy who used to have the fireball fastball and remade himself and kept his career strong with a knuckleball when his heat died down. There is also Tiger Mask, who, if nothing else, is the continuation of a gimmick that has been part of the junior heavyweight division on-and-off for 31 years.

There is a weakness in the foreign department. By going to the finals of the G-1 tournament, Karl Anderson (Chad Allegra), who had a back-and-forth program with Nakamura and beat Tanahashi to get to the finals, is positioned as the top foreign star. Anderson is a very good worker who has been a regular here so long that he had adapted to the style. For years he was the junior member of the Bad Intentions tag team with Giant Bernard. Other foreign heavyweight regulars include MVP, who they pushed as Intercontinental champion, and Lance Archer, while Shelton Benjamin has worked some, including G-1. Archer is learning the style and fits what has traditionally worked in Japan with the tall powerful heel, the role that dates back to the Sharpe Brothers in the 50s. A good wrestler with that size who can handle Japan is hard to find. The changes in the U.S. business as well as the Japanese business make it impossible they will ever have the kind of foreign roster they’ve had in the past. Benjamin can still impress with athletic ability, and is still missing some in charisma. He probably could do well in the right tag team situation but I don’t see him as a main event single. Anderson should probably be getting an IWGP title shot at a smaller arena in the next few months, which would be the biggest singles match of his career.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Oh, that two bit con man The Barbarian!

Shelton Benjamin did a facebook post complaining about The Barbarian (Sionnne Vailahi), who booked him for a tour in Nigeria last year where he got stiffed in pay. He wrote that any wrestler booked to tour Nigeria through Barbarian should get all of their money up front, and if anyone knew anyone planning on touring through him to tell them the same thing. He wrote, “I held this in for a long time hoping that Barbarian would reconcile the situation, but like a true liar and thief, he nor anyone else answers calls or returns and if by accident they do pick up, they hang up immediately. Thank God I have and still make a good living, but I feel sorry for those guys who really depend on their payoffs.”

Comment

• IamMedellin
                          Everything Burns...
                          • Nov 2008

WWE released Kelly Kelly today.

WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Diva Kelly Kelly as of today, September 28, 2012. WWE wishes Kelly Kelly the best in all her future endeavors,

WWE.com

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

I guess she finally finished her tour around the locker room.

Comment

• BigBiss
                              • Mar 2009

no talk of eddies daughter asking for her release?

Comment

• OnlyOneBeerLeft
                                Fuck em
                                • Oct 2008

That Kane and Bryan skit actually just made me laugh

Comment

Working...