• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Super Metroid

Platform: SNES

Ah a classic Super Nintendo game. By the way guys, the SNES is my favorite console of all time. Anyway, Super Metroid is the third game in the Metroid series after the first on the NES and the second on the gameboy. A lot of people think Super Metroid is the second but the one on the Gameboy is the second. Be that as it may I am here to review Super Metroid not give you guys a history of the Metroid series.

Super Metroid came out in the middle of the Super Nintendo’s console life and was one of the best games to come out for it as well. You take control of one of the finest female heroines in any game, Samus Aran. The whole plot of the game is somewhat confusing but I’ll break it down for you guys. The game takes place after the events of the second one as Samus is going to a research facility to look for a Larva. She gets there and everyone is dead so she has to find who has stolen it. A bunch of intergalactic pirates stole the Larva and she has to stop them before they can harness the power of said Larva. There are unfortunately only four end bosses in this game but all of them vary in strengths and weaknesses. So with all the new power ups you harness throughout the game will be used in different ways to defeat them. The end boss in the entire game, who I will not spoil for you, is one of the hardest I’ve ever faced in a game and it is very humbling when you try and try again to heat him. When the game came out the graphics were pretty revolutionary. Albeit they are dated now, it still is a pretty big accomplishment for an SNES game. It is definitely an upgrade over the two previous Metroids. The environments you play in look pretty good for a side scroller as well although it is mainly a space station setting. Bosses have a larger than life look to them which is really a thing still missed in most games these days. For the most part the enemies you face in the game aren’t too difficult but the platforming and figuring out what you have to do to get past certain areas is another thing missed in a lot of games this year. Although the game is mostly linear it is still a lot of fun to figure out how to conserve your resources and get past tough obstacles while trying to retain most of your health.

Super Metroid is a classic SNES game that doesn’t seem to get as much respect as it deserves. A very classically tough game that humbles even some of the best gamers. If you’ve never played it before watch the video for yourself and download a Rom or get it on the Wii Network or whatever its called.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypTA061v0VU"]Super Metroid gameplay part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• SethMode
      Master of Mysticism
      • Feb 2009

I don't know if I'd say that Super Metroid doesn't get as much respect as it deserves. I'd say it's pretty universally considered one of the greatest games ever made, and by most fans of the franchise the best in the series. Still, great write up and it would probably land in my top 15, personally.

Comment

• Leftwich
        Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Pokemon Silver/Gold

Platform: Gameboy

Alright so maybe I was a little to old to be playing Pokemon when this game came out but who cares. It takes a bigger man to admit he played a child’s game than to sit here and deny the fact that I did. Although it wasn’t nearly as addicting as the first one, it still holds a special place in my heart.

Pokemon Silver ,as I’ll call it so I don’t have to say both games, came out in the fall of 2000. I was a freshman in High School but didn’t let any of friends know I played it although years later I found out they secretly played it as well. Pokemon Silver improved on the original Pokemon in many ways by bringing in 100 new Pokemon, brining in a night and day system so you could catch Pokemon at different times of the day and many other new cool features but the ones I named before were the most revolutionary. I don’t want to forget about breeding but I never really got all into that. In Pokemon Silver you have different starting Pokemon and a new region to explore as well as the old region but only after you beat the first one. There are new legendary Pokemon as well which are sometimes a bitch to catch. My only gripe is that you can still catch a lot of Pokemon from the first game but certain ones like Bulbasaur, Charmander and many of the better Pokemon are unavailable unless you trade. Being the secret Pokemon player I was, I was unable to do this because I had no one to trade with. This game took up a lot of my free time. I’d take shits and play it, stay up late in my bed and instead of fapping I’d be playing Pokemon. In retrospect, I feel like a loser. I wasn’t nearly as addicted as I was with the first series but I always strived to catch as many Pokemon as I could. The gameplay during battles was largely untouched. Four moves, evolving and items were mainstays from the first game and came in just the same. It’s not a bad thing. It’s just barebones RPG elements that maybe should have been improved upon. I’m not knocking it because it works and I don’t think the developers were trying to reinvent the wheel. Sure there were new pokeballs, items and things to collect; it just felt like they could have done more. Graphics for the most part were improved and full power of the Game Boy Color was used which was great because the first one was pretty much a few shades on the original Gameboy and a few more shades with the Gameboy color.

I do know people that prefer this game to the first but not me. I still think Pokemon Red/Blue was a much better game and we’ll touch on that later down the list. As always there is a video below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqJnaWC9tmM"]Pokemon Silver Game Play - A Companion and The Beginning - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• DSpydr84
          I need a sub
          • Oct 2008

Holy shit I wanna play Pokemon right now because of that post. I spent way too many hours on that game.

Comment

• G-men
            Posts too much
            • Nov 2011

Because I'm a little younger than most of you guys, I got to play a little further into the Pokemon series. I think the third generation (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) was the one that got it right. Storyline was great and the amount of new Pokemon was perfect. There were also so many new features that really simplified the game. I still love the fact that you were able to go back to the first generation area in Silver/Gold and go through that storyline as well, just because it lengthened the game. Also, it was awesome that once you completed the game, you could go challenge Red, who was clearly Ash from the TV show.

Comment

• Leftwich
              Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by G-Men
              Because I'm a little younger than most of you guys, I got to play a little further into the Pokemon series. I think the third generation (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) was the one that got it right. Storyline was great and the amount of new Pokemon was perfect. There were also so many new features that really simplified the game. I still love the fact that you were able to go back to the first generation area in Silver/Gold and go through that storyline as well, just because it lengthened the game. Also, it was awesome that once you completed the game, you could go challenge Red, who was clearly Ash from the TV show.
              I'll have to check that one out. Never got into the newer pokemon.

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

I had the guide book for Pokemon Silver/Gold for awhile before the games came out. By the time I brought Silver, I knew the whole thing by heart and didn't need to use the guide for anything....well other than those stupid ice caves you had to slide through. Pretty sure on Blue/Red it took me like a week to get through that part.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
                  Wakka Wakka
                  • Dec 2008

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lat8GQEJlCY"]Original Pokemon Theme Song - YouTube[/ame]
                  THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• Derrville
                    Dallas has no coaching...
                    • Jul 2009

Pokemon Gold/Silver is easily in my top 10. Had 16 badges and a great assortment of old and new pokemon.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

I still end up playing Pokemon whenever the power goes out........don't act like you all don't do that, either.

Comment

• G-men
                        Posts too much
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Leftwich
                        I'll have to check that one out. Never got into the newer pokemon.
                        Download the GameBoy Advance emulator VisualBoy Advance and get the rom for Emerald, it's the best one in the third generation.

Rayquaza >>>

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                          My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                          • Mar 2009

I got that Pokemon Black and White on my desktop. I need to get back into playing it.

Comment

• Twigg4075
                            Kindergarten Cop
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                            I still end up playing Pokemon whenever the power goes out........don't act like you all don't do that, either.
                            Never have and never will. It's like a JRPG which I despise. #truth

Comment

• wingsfan77
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                              You know what I despise? People who use that stupid hashtag bullshit.

Comment

• Swarley
                                A Special Kind of Cat
                                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Twigg4075
                                Call me crazy, but I've never liked that series either.

Comment

Working...